Christians and Science

Yes, there are a lot of ways man's knowledge about God's world has evolved (if I may use that word). The same can be said about the things of faith. As I pointed out in an earlier post (several pages ago), what was considered a heretical view concerning the structure of the universe is now held by some Christians to be the Biblical view (and not even those Christians have any problem with the fact that it is not how a modern scientist would describe it).

Even here in this forum of persons of faith in the Lord, there are many subjects that have banned because we start too many quarrels and make the mistake of treating our friends & brothers that we disagree with as enemies. If we cannot agree on what the scriptures say about our common faith, we should not be too surprised to find that there are differing views on a variety of other subjects.

Yes, I think we will be judge how we say things rather than how our point of view is correct...

Of course, this does not compromise the Cross : Salvation History: the Gospel, Jesus Christ birth, death and resurrection…

Yes, I think we will be judge how we say things rather than how our point of view is correct...

Of course, this does not compromise the Cross : Salvation History: the Gospel, Jesus Christ birth, death and resurrection…

When I am reading posts from other viewpoints, I remember that I am here to see how others view Him. There is a core that I believe is necessary (Who Christ is, why we need Him, His payment), Christ crucified and raised.

Although I may state my views, as I have here, I am not attempting to change anyone else's view. No one really cares if Siloam agrees with them or not. But I am always looking for a useful insight that may help me to gain a better understanding of our Lord. If that requires that I discard a misunderstanding that I held in my spiritual youth, so much the better.

I would like to be a scientist but I'm an engineer.
Luckily I'm a priest too. I love this job.

Reactions: aha
I find genetics very intersting to study and did biology and chemistry at school. Balancing equations was tricky but I think of those atoms, electrons and nuclei as little God particles (we made from dust after all) and that only God could have designed us, those little particles dont have a mind of their own, and also as it says in Genesis God breathed into man and gave him a living soul.

Science cannot really measure a soul...it only looks at the natural, not the spiritual. While I love creation I worship the creator rather than creation and know God made it all.

I find genetics very intersting to study and did biology and chemistry at school. Balancing equations was tricky but I think of those atoms, electrons and nuclei as little God particles (we made from dust after all) and that only God could have designed us, those little particles dont have a mind of their own, and also as it says in Genesis God breathed into man and gave him a living soul.

Science cannot really measure a soul...it only looks at the natural, not the spiritual. While I love creation I worship the creator rather than creation and know God made it all.

One caveat: Science is not to be worshiped, it is to be used to learn more about His creation, and by that to learn more about Him. I know that many scientists do not approach it from this standpoint, but that does not mean that we, as Christians cannot learn about the Creator by studying His creation. Dry knowledge does not save, but adding knowledge to faith can create a strong Christian.

To me. It is ironic that many in the faith community have concentrated on evolution as an enemy. When Darwin published On the Origin of Species, the rest of science still considered the universe as being eternal. They were having more and more problems getting their views to fit the discoveries that were coming out of research. From thermo-dynamics to astrophysics, things were just not fitting into an eternal universe. Then Darwin published Origin and suddenly science was pointing to a creation event. Many in the faith community hailed it as a vindication of scripture.

When Einstein inserted the cosmological constant into his field equation, he did so because he still thought that the Universe was eternal, and that after enough observations and measurements were taken, a value for the constant could be arrived at to balance gravity and make the Universe eternal.

So, instead of being an attack on the idea of God as a creator, evolution was the first science to unequivocally point to a beginning, even if it originally only pertained to life on Earth.

Rejection of evolution is not universal, even among committed Christian leadership:

In his Humani Generis Encyclical, Pope Pius XII identified evolution as a serious hypothesis, worthy of a more deeply studied investigation and reflection. Building upon that, II Pope John Paul II addressed the Pontifical Academy of Sciences (October 22, 1996) further supporting the study of evolution as being compatible with faith in God.

Billy Graham wrote:

I don’t think that there’s any conflict at all between science today and the scriptures. I think that we have misinterpreted the Scriptures many times and we’ve tried to make the Scriptures say things they weren’t meant to say, I think that we have made a mistake by thinking the Bible is a scientific book. The Bible is not a book of science. The Bible is a book of Redemption, and of course I accept the Creation story. I believe that God did create the universe. I believe that God created man, and whether it came by an evolutionary process and at a certain point He took this person or being and made him a living soul or not, does not change the fact that God did create man. … whichever way God did it makes no difference as to what man is and man’s relationship to God.” Billy Graham: Personal Thoughts of a Public Man, 1997. p. 72-74

Even Pat Robertson rejected Young Earth Creationism and acknowledged evolution as being correct.

The Clergy project which circulated a letter for endorsement collected over 13000 signatures of Christian clergy. That letter stated (in part):

We the undersigned, Christian clergy from many different traditions, believe that the timeless truths of the Bible and the discoveries of modern science may comfortably coexist. We believe that the theory of evolution is a foundational scientific truth, one that has stood up to rigorous scrutiny and upon which much of human knowledge and achievement rests. To reject this truth or to treat it as “one theory among others” is to deliberately embrace scientific ignorance and transmit such ignorance to our children.

The Clergy letter project has been endorsed by leadership of Methodist, Lutheran and Episcopal denominations as well as individual clergy of a wide variety of denominations.

I just want to clarify a couple of things in my earlier post...

Notice that neither Billy Graham nor either of the Popes actually came out and endorsed Evolution as correct, only that it is not necessarily against Biblical teaching.

In the case of Pope Paul II, the most often repeated quote from his address was 'Truth cannot contradict Truth". While those words do appear in that address, and the address concerned the study of evolution, a careful reading of that will show the the Pope was not equating evolution with Truth, let alone with scriptural truth. What he was saying about Truth not contradicting Truth was similar to Augustine's argument, which is simply if the truth about God's creation is known, than a correct interpretation of scripture will be in agreement. And if an interpretation of scripture is not in agreement with a known truth from God's creation than that interpretation must be false.

Of course that leaves the determining of what is true to begin with.

My main point in providing that post was to point out that far from being a position composed only of those who have not committed their lives to Christ, many of those that have committed their lives to God and the scriptures do not find the things of Science at odds with the things of faith. This was particularly important since the original post was from someone that is both a new Christian, and someone with a background that values scientific discovery, and many of the posts were rather flippant or disparaging toward science rather than pointing out that science studies the world that the Lord has made.

This is exactly the problem Augustine foresaw when he wrote the Literal Interpretation of Genesis (see post #13)

Wow, I am amazed at all of these intelligent responses! I won't be able to reply to each person individually like I normally do.. but I do thank all of you who contributed to this conversation! I will be looking into and researching many of your excellent points. I appreciate the time that all of you took to read my post and to leave me responses to help me on my journey!

Liz

I guess one of the things keeping me from growing in my faith is that I feel like some things might contradict themselves concerning science and religion.

As you grow in your walk with Christ and He reveals the truth to you, you will come to understand and see that as a follower of Christ, science and God's Word do not contradict one another. You might ask, 'how can this be'? It's actually quite simple, everyone has a worldview - a set of beliefs learned throughout their years that form their thoughts on all kinds of things; how the universe began, how humans came to be, morals, etc. Those who use science as their foundation for everything and reject the Biblical God will interpret scientific data according to their worldview; this is to say that they will interpret the data to make it seem that something naturally occurred without the intervention of a 'supreme being' aka 'a god or gods'. Those who use God's Word as their foundation for their worldview (the only correct one), will see the Biblical God in the scientific data they interpret. Unfortunately we don't get to hear the Biblical worldview very often, if ever, in mainstream news outlets because the idea of a 'god' is becoming less and less 'popular'.

You are getting into an interesting and challenging field of work, one that does not look highly on those who accept a 'god', especially the Biblical God. 1 Peter 3:15 tells us "but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence." You are going to be challenged (if you haven't already) for your belief in Christ. What else aside from the things you posted (I will address those as well) are you uncomfortable with when people ask you questions?

Reactions: Juk
1. I have read that some creationists believe that the Earth is around 6,000 years old.. how do they believe that when there is scientific proof that the earth is older than that?

Always an interesting subject to tackle. Although I know very little on how to refute this claim, one thing to consider is the existence of Carbon-14 which is used for the dating process. Carbon-14 once taken in by said living organism, ceases, thus starting the dating process. The rate and which Carbon-14 decays along with other hypotheses such as the steady decay of the earth's magnetic field, puts the earth at about 10,000 years. This gets pretty in depth. If you would like to know the intricacies of the process, you can view the information HERE.

Another thing to remember, with scientists who use science as their foundation for their worldview, they are of course going to see something other than God in the interpretation of their data, thus why we have an impression the world is so old and why the universe is roughly 13.4 billion years old. There is also no such thing as 'unbiased' or 'impartial' interpretation of data, it's impossible. People will always view/interpret data based on their own worldview. You will learn later on that they must stand on biblical principles to even have their worldview, but that may be revealed in a later post (y)

I'm just saying.. I believe in science. Could the Big Bang have been our God saying let there be light?

I would not say you 'believe' in science, science provides tools for us to use in testing and interpreting data. It would be inaccurate for someone to say Christian's do not believe in science; we do indeed. However, we see God in the data, non-believers see something else (their own egos perhaps o_O). Another misconception is that Christians have created their own set of data to interpret and that is why we believe said data; this is also incorrect. Believers and non-believers use the same data, we just interpret it differently.

Now, on to the 'Big Bang'. Two major flaws with the big bang are 1) it cannot be recreated; 2) it cannot be observed. There are also those like Stephen Hawking who say "the universe created itself, therefore it can sustain itself". This is an example of circular reasoning, which is a fallacy and illogical. It's beginning with what you are trying to prove, yet the statement proves nothing. If you want to get someone thinking, ask them how to explain 'uniformity in nature'. If you don't know what that is, I would suggest further reading!

'uniformity in nature'
We expect nature to be uniform: We believe that patterns of regularity observed in the past will continue to hold into the future. This is called our belief in the “Principle of the Uniformity of Nature” (PUN).
PUN is essential to science. The “Laws of Nature,” we believe, will continue to hold in the future as they have held in the past. Without this belief, science is not valid.

In other words, you can't have valid measurements if you can't rely on your measuring stick staying the same length from day to day.
This really has nothing to do with the subject at hand.
The "Big Bang" is assumed to be true because it is the only theory that explains the observed phenomena and does not require a belief in magic or miracles. Science does not deny that the miraculous occurs, however it does not rely on it because miracles are un-measurable and unreliable.

There is nothing uniform about nature. Anyone who does gardening can tell you that...or anyone who lives in nz. You cant predict the weather...so why extrapolate back into the past?

There is nothing uniform about nature. Anyone who does gardening can tell you that...or anyone who lives in nz. You cant predict the weather...so why extrapolate back into the past?

Hebrews 1:3 disagrees with your statement. If there were no uniformity, you shouldn't be surprised if you wake up tomorrow morning pressed against your ceiling because gravity decided to weaken.

This is exactly my point, science must lean on Biblical principles if it expects to try and prove anything.
Science has no use for "biblical principals" (whatever that is supposed to mean).
Science is all about comparing the unknown to the known to be able to classify and understand the unknown.
Science is not about "proving" anything, it is about understanding what is measurable.
Science is not about supporting whatever pet theological notions some folks may have.

Science has no use for "biblical principals" (whatever that is supposed to mean).

Science must lean on the preconditions of ineligibility to know anything; things which must be assumed before 'knowing' can even take place. For example, science cannot account for the laws of logic as they are not material things, they must be assumed before we know anything. We can account for the laws of logic because we were made in God's image thus we have some attributes of God's character and how He thinks. Science would be impossible without the laws of logic, including other preconditions of intelligibility such as reliability of our senses.

Meh..i can see people just wanna argue.

God raised Jesus from the dead, when Jesus comes back, we all gonna be rising..so, the people that insist gravity is gonna keep us down are going to be wrong. Lol.

I'm sorry if someone's already said this - I read through the previous posts rather quickly, and I might well have missed it! Just a wee comment regarding what the Bible says about how the world was created.

In Genesis, verse 1 and 2, we have this awesome statement: "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. And the earth was waste and empty, and darkness was on the face of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters."

Then there's the key, which fits in between verses 1 and 2. That key is Isaiah 45:18: "For thus saith Jehovah who created the heavens, God himself who formed the earth and made it, he who established it, -- not as waste did he create it: he formed it to be inhabited: -- I am Jehovah, and there is none else."

From this, we can see that God created the heavens and the earth, verse 1 of Genesis. Then, something occurred to make it waste and empty, and we get to verse 2 of Genesis. What happened, we don't know. That leaves room for all the geologic discoveries and the vast period of time which science would chart for the existence of the world. The planet may well be millions or billions of years old - time is no object to God. It all might have take place in the space of 4,000 years as well, I don't think we can rule that out. I should make it clear, however, that I do believe God made the world in seven days. He made it what it was as suitable again for human habitation in that period, after it became waste and empty. He restored order and form to what He'd brought into being in the beginning.

I do believe we can calculate, however, that the human race is about 6,000 years old, if we look at the ages of the people recorded in scripture and work back.

I hope that seems acceptable to the brethren - I hope I haven't got off scriptural ground in any of these statements. There's a lot of very interesting teaching connected with these three amazing verses, but I won't go into that here, unless anyone particularly wants to know more about it.

Back