I was wondering what ya'll views are on with some churches or believers sometimes using "church slang", or "church jargon", or however you want to call it when it's said or mentioned in the church? when is it ok? or, is it not? are you ok with it?

For example, I heard someone say once: "I was drunk on the Holy Spirit".

IMO, I find that offensive because I would not want to associate God (who is the Purest of all) with a word that means not being able to have self control of your behaviour..... God is a God of Order and definitely is IN control, so I don't see how that statement makes sense.

OR maybe you've never heard of such talk? that's fine, either way I want to know what your thoughts are.

I agree with you Melizza. I'm sure there are those who don't see a problem with it (according to their feelings)... but I try my best to be respectful (according to my feelings) regarding God and church behavior.

I don't have a big problem with talking informally, and using current idioms (_when appropriate_), but one must be careful to remain respectful and remember His place, and thus our own.

There have been many times in social occasions when I was with someone of authority over me. I may have joked and been light-hearted in talking with them, but I never forgot who they were, and what my position was. How much greater should my reverence be for the Most High.

Psalm 19:14
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
Be acceptable in Your sight,
O Lord, my rock and my Redeemer

I was wondering what ya'll views are on with some churches or believers sometimes using "church slang", or "church jargon", or however you want to call it when it's said or mentioned in the church? when is it ok? or, is it not? are you ok with it?

IMO, I find that offensive because I would not want to associate God (who is the Purest of all) with a word that means not being able to have self control of your behaviour..... God is a God of Order and definitely is IN control, so I don't see how that statement makes sense.

OR maybe you've never heard of such talk? that's fine, either way I want to know what your thoughts are.

Here is the Scripture that is in reference to this comment...

And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery; but ever be filled and stimulated with the [Holy] Spirit. [Prov. 23:20.]
Ephesians 5:18 AMPC

As I can agree and respect your thoughts about this, for your protection against unforgiveness (which is what being offended really is), and giving the enemy place in your life to mess with you, I would suggest that you not allow it to bother you.

Our pastor told a story about a time when he was truly drunk in the spirit. And the way he describes it is that he had difficulty walking, missed sitting down on the side of the bed and then laughed uncontrollably because he fell.

Maybe so that you can find peace in your own mind think of it this way.... the devil likes to pervert what has already been established by God. Consider that God is the originator of being drunk, and the devil has made it into something God never intended.

Like the rainbow for instance, or even calling those things that be not as though they were. The enemy has taken those things and twisted them into his own perverted meanings. And us being offended will not do anything to change it.

If one searches the Scriptures... God knows how to party, and enjoy life. But religion (lies of the devil sown into the church, to become church or denominational doctrine) has told us that to be a good, upright, holy Christian... We must be somber and boring. But in all reality Jesus being anointed with the oil of gladness, and God's instructions to the Israelites of how to celebrate..... is way far off from how some think and act.

God bless you abundantly with wisdom and peace

Hi Melizza,

See Acts 2:12-15 (NIV)---

" When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard their own language being spoken.
13 Some, however, made fun of them and said, “They have had too much wine.
14 Then Peter stood up with the Eleven, raised his voice and addressed the crowd: “Fellow Jews and all of you who live in Jerusalem, let me explain this to you; listen carefully to what I say. 15 These people are not drunk, as you suppose. It’s only nine in the morning!"

Being drunk in the spirit as mentioned above is mainly a feeling of warmth and exhilaration, i.e. cheerful and joyful. And it can be mistaken for being drunk on wine as in the above scriptures. It it something rarely experienced but once it happens one never forgets the joy of the experience.

Blessings,

sandpiper

Hi Melizza,

" When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard their own language being spoken.
14 Then Peter stood up with the Eleven, raised his voice and addressed the crowd: “Fellow Jews and all of you who live in Jerusalem, let me explain this to you; listen carefully to what I say. 15 These people are not drunk, as you suppose. It’s only nine in the morning!"

Being drunk in the spirit as mentioned above is mainly a feeling of warmth and exhilaration, i.e. cheerful and joyful. And it can be mistaken for being drunk on wine as in the above scriptures. It it something rarely experienced but once it happens one never forgets the joy of the experience.

Blessings,

sandpiper

Hi Sandpiper,

I love your explanation for being drunk in the spirit (and CT's too). I can certainly say that feeling drunk in the spirit is a joyous experience. Being actually drunk, not so much!!

I also have to ask you about your avatar. One minute there was a peaceful little bird, the next minute a fearsome lady on a bicycle!!! Is this you?

If it is, I almost fear to ask you, coz it looks likes you're a lady to be reckoned with eek:)

Hi M,

I hope the expression 'drunk' hasn't bothered you too much. I am guilty, but I've used the expression 'high' on the spirit. I've had several experiences now where I've felt totally exhilarated by the Holy Spirit, and the only way I could describe it was with the word 'high'. It felt amazing, like being totally wrapped in love and protection. I know it's a bad choice of word, but I really can't think of another word, other than exhilaration lol.

Blessings x

This post is just a statement of my preference, and not a condemnation of diverting opinions.

I really wish the Body of Christ would find better ways of describing the things of God, particularly the Holy Spirit.

According to the Bible, being filled with the Holy spirit is a direct _alternative_ to being chemically impaired (Ephesians 5:18). We should not muddy up the issue by equating the two, even figuratively.

Also, when the Holy Spirit became indwelling in Believers (Pentecost), being drunk was used mockingly (and wrongly) to describe what was happening to believers (Acts 2:13). Note how quickly Peter corrected the misconception (Acts 2:15).

I do believe that there are a variety of altered states of awareness into which the Holy Spirit brings believers. But to use chemical impairment to describe what is in reality a heightened state of spiritual communication really concerns me.

Maybe the term "Ecstatic Communion" ?

Hi Sandpiper,

I love your explanation for being drunk in the spirit (and CT's too). I can certainly say that feeling drunk in the spirit is a joyous experience. Being actually drunk, not so much!!

I also have to ask you about your avatar. One minute there was a peaceful little bird, the next minute a fearsome lady on a bicycle!!! Is this you?

If it is, I almost fear to ask you, coz it looks likes you're a lady to be reckoned with eek:)

If it is, I almost fear to ask you, coz it looks likes you're a lady to be reckoned with eek:)[/QUOTE]

Hi Annie, yes, that is me about 23 years ago when I did a lot of mountain biking on trails in Alaska. It was great exercise. The previous logo was a sandpiper (bird) like my user name. The only bike I can ride now is a stationery one indoors. So, not looking quite so fearsome as in the photo. It was a challenge to navigate some of those trails but such a fun sport.

Blessings,

sandpiper

Yes I have heard it said many times and it is nothing more that equating a physical sin, drinking alcohol to a spiritual emotional experience. I have never thought it was acceptable and still don't today.

1 Thessalonians 5:22.......
"Abstain from all appearance of evil."

Birds of a feather always flock together.

2 Corth. 6:17...........
"Therefore go out from their midst, and be separate from them, says the Lord, and touch no unclean thing; then I will welcome you".

Hi M,

I hope the expression 'drunk' hasn't bothered you too much. I am guilty, but I've used the expression 'high' on the spirit. I've had several experiences now where I've felt totally exhilarated by the Holy Spirit, and the only way I could describe it was with the word 'high'. It felt amazing, like being totally wrapped in love and protection. I know it's a bad choice of word, but I really can't think of another word, other than exhilaration lol.

Blessings x

How about.........."Filled with the Holy Spirit of God"????

Or......................."Over come with the Spirit of God"????

Hi Melizza,

Blessings,

sandpiper

Would you agree that the response Peter gave was because the comment he was speaking to was a "Negitive" comment from those who saw the people filled with the Spirit of God. They proposed them to be drunk because they were acting like drunks.

Personally, I think that the Holy Spirit is a perfect gentleman and does not want His children acting like the children of the devil when they are in fact drunk. But that is just me and I know that I am an old fashioned country boy.

Would you agree that the response Peter gave was because the comment he was speaking to was a "Negitive" comment from those who saw the people filled with the Spirit of God. They proposed them to be drunk because they were acting like drunks.

Personally, I think that the Holy Spirit is a perfect gentleman and does not want His children acting like the children of the devil when they are in fact drunk. But that is just me and I know that I am an old fashioned country boy.

Those who made fun of the others didn't understand what was happening and since it seems silly and strange they said that; but Peter explained it to them by making a positive response. After all it was only 9:00 o'clock in the morning, as he said. Obviously then like now most people don 't get drunk at 9:00 a.m. in the morning. :)

My reaction to someone saying such a thing would be to take the words in full context of the person's intentions in saying it. If someone is filled with the awe and wonder of the Holy Spirit, then it would seem that they are simply attempting to express themselves in a words that best portray their joy. Not everyone is eloquently articulate nor able to choose the perfect words at the right moment. When words such as this are said with respect, then I see no harm. It is what is in the person's heart and mind at the time that truly counts. If they had said that they were "intoxicated with the Holy Spirit", it might well have sounded more sophisticated, but it would amount to the same thing. The bottom line is the sincerity of the words and the meaning that the speaker intended them to portray. If they are meant to voice their praise and awe of the Holy Spirit, then these words are appropriate utterances of worship.

Regarding the OP's first post about Christian Slang and our opinions on that:

I think there are times when wisdom is needed in how we share and how we respond. Certain phrases which may be easily understood by people who have been Christians a while and used back and forth in communications and sermons may not be understood by the unbeliever or else thought very "preachy". So those expressions can be off putting and counter productive to what the person evangelizing is trying to do.

Not to say one never uses common Christian jargon or quotes scriptures directly; but I think just talking normally without repeating the jargon is a better way to go. Jesus quoted the scriptures but he spent a great deal of time telling stories and just doing things for others. I believe because of that and the love they saw..they could begin to comprehend and accept the messages he gave.

Truly they will know we are Christians by our love for God and one another. Also, by the way in which we live our lives. Words sure do matter; but many times especially to the unbeliever actions speak much louder.

Every body is different so it is always good to pray before we enter into conversations with others, especially those we hope to witness to about the Lord.

My reaction to someone saying such a thing would be to take the words in full context of the person's intentions in saying it. If someone is filled with the awe and wonder of the Holy Spirit, then it would seem that they are simply attempting to express themselves in a words that best portray their joy. Not everyone is eloquently articulate nor able to choose the perfect words at the right moment. When words such as this are said with respect, then I see no harm. It is what is in the person's heart and mind at the time that truly counts. If they had said that they were "intoxicated with the Holy Spirit", it might well have sounded more sophisticated, but it would amount to the same thing. The bottom line is the sincerity of the words and the meaning that the speaker intended them to portray. If they are meant to voice their praise and awe of the Holy Spirit, then these words are appropriate utterances of worship.
Nicely said! :)

The term 'being drunk on the Holy Spirit' is very common and, actually I did not key on the specific phrase itself as being doubtful. Beyond the instance of using drink (and being drunk) as a term for being filled with the Spirit, I would like to discuss, a little, the general use of slang (as in the title of this thread).

Actually, In my first post in this thread (post #3), I was thinking in more general terms of using common man, or street vernacular, to discuss the things of God. It was only after our esteemed sister Cturtle's post (post #4) that I keyed in on the specific drunk on the Holy Spirit phraseology. With all respect to Cturtle, my reaction to that is still as I stated in post #8, that I am uncomfortable with that phraseology.

But, getting back to the general use of slang, a lot depends upon the circumstances:

Who is talking, and what is their general manner of speach?

Who is the audience and how are they likely to 'hear' what is said?

What are the circumstances e.g. in general conversation at lunch, in a discussion when gathering for church?

From the Pulpit during a sermon at a traditional church ministering to a traditional congregation, or is it an outreach community church in an area where slang is the general manner of speaking?

There are some hard limits (and the following example is hard to even write, and the moderators should feel free to delete the example, or my entire post):
I once heard of a believer saying that when Jesus cleared the temple, he was being a 'real bad-ass'. I believe that is over the line in any circumstances.

But, there are other less agregious examples:

I have heard of Pauls journeys being referred to as Paul 'trucking' around the holyland. While I don't find this particularly compelling, and it does not strike a cord with me, If using language of this type makes church abd the Christian Life seem more accessable to someone, I see no fundamental problem. A lot depends upon who is listening.

Finally, I would just encourage each of us to be true to being the person the Lord has made of us. If we do not commonly speak in terms of slang expressions, we should not try to impress someone else with our inclusiveness by parodying their usage.

Finally, I would just encourage each of us to be true to being the person the Lord has made of us. If we do not commonly speak in terms of slang expressions, we should not try to impress someone else with our inclusiveness by parodying their usage.

Yes, agreed for sure! :)

Hi Melizza;

I have heard Christian slang, and at times I do get what they're saying or expressing. I agree that we are to choose our words carefully with respect, reverence and honor to God. But when I can discern they are referring otherwise, I have spoken up.

I enjoyed reading everyone's post to your thread! God bless you!

John Denver's "Thank God I'm A Country Boy" lol! Great song!

Back