Christian Phrases You Hate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to be pedantic, but can you quote a scripture that says 'love' or 'love God and others' is the number 1 commandment'.

You see, I don't stay married to my wife because I love her. I stay married to her because I love God.
I don't respect my parents because I love them, I respect them because I love God.
Matthew 22:36-40 NASB

"Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?" And He said to him, " 'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart , and with all your soul , and with all your mind .' This is the great and foremost commandment. The second is like it, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself .' On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."

Getting back to the topic, "I'll pray for you" CAN be an obnoxious phrase. Because I've seen it used in such a way that people use it to end arguments. And there is an unspoken "God's on my side" thing that goes along with it.

If, on the other hand, it's offered as a gentle bit of encouragement to someone going through a difficult time, then it is very nice and very appropriate.

Getting back to the topic, "I'll pray for you" CAN be an obnoxious phrase. Because I've seen it used in such a way that people use it to end arguments. And there is an unspoken "God's on my side" thing that goes along with it.

If, on the other hand, it's offered as a gentle bit of encouragement to someone going through a difficult time, then it is very nice and very appropriate.

This one can be all a matter of context, as I'm sure you meant. I like hearing people tell me they'll pray for me, and I like telling people that I am praying for them (and when we both actually follow it up with praying for each other). Naturally. We're supposed to pray for each other.

But I do know what you mean. I've also heard it used very backhandedly, which is a shame because prayer for someone else is meant to be one of the most charitable acts we can do for someone else. When it is used to shut someone up, it becomes very uncharitable.

The sad part is I know I'm guilty for having done it before.

I feel like people say this to end a conversation so someone will stop telling them their problems. And I wonder how many people say they will, and it never happens. For example, one manager where I work, whether he's agnostic/atheist/renounced I'm not sure, he won't commit to any, told a lady after she called in sick "I'll pray for you." I said hold on, has something happened. He said no, I say that so people will feel better.

NASB

"Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?" And He said to him, " 'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart , and with all your soul , and with all your mind .' This is the great and foremost commandment. The second is like it, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself .' On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."
Thanks. Now note how the first commandment is specifically 'to love God' and the second is to love others as ourselves.

1 John 5:3 says that loving God = obeying His commandments. We can be forgiven for thinking loving God = loving others, since most of His commandments involve loving others (hence it says the second is 'like it'). No stealing, murdering, adultery = loving others. But that scripture you gave is crystal clear that they are separate. We love God first. We love others second.

So, how do we love God without loving others? How is obeying commandments like 'do not commit adultery', loving God? God is not affected by us stealing, but....we get our hands chopped off or go to prison.... and our neighbor suffers loss. So, how does God 'feel loved' when we obey the commandment to 'not steal'?

I was always baffled by why God sweat blood before the cross. Did God sweat blood in anticipation of torture? Being nailed to the cross? Has anyone sweat blood for theses things? Clearly not, as many God bashers are quick to point out that many have suffered worse then Jesus....so why did God sweat blood???? God sweat blood in anticipation of our sin coming upon Him. Why? Because God HATES sin. God feels loved when we obey the commandment not to commit adultery or steal because we are choosing not to sin.

Hence, we love God most when we choose to hate sin Rom 12:9 and deal with it by getting on our knees and repenting. Not, 'being love' or 'loving others'.

Last edited:
Thanks. Now note how the first commandment is specifically 'to love God' and the second is to love others as ourselves.

1 John 5:3 says that loving God = obeying His commandments. We can be forgiven for thinking loving God = loving others, since most of His commandments involve loving others (hence it says the second is 'like it'). No stealing, murdering, adultery = loving others. But that scripture you gave is crystal clear that they are separate. We love God first. We love others second.

So, how do we love God without loving others? How is obeying commandments like 'do not commit adultery', loving God? God is not affected by us stealing, but....we get our hands chopped off or go to prison.... and our neighbor suffers loss. So, how does God 'feel loved' when we obey the commandment to 'not steal'?

I was always baffled by why God sweat blood before the cross. Did God sweat blood in anticipation of torture? Being nailed to the cross? Has anyone sweat blood for theses things? Clearly not, as many God bashers are quick to point out that many have suffered worse then Jesus....so why did God sweat blood???? God sweat blood in anticipation of our sin coming upon Him. Why? Because God HATES sin. God feels loved when we obey the commandment not to commit adultery or steal because we are choosing not to sin.

Hence, we love God most when we choose to hate sin Rom 12:9 and deal with it by getting on our knees and repenting. Not, 'being love' or 'loving others'.
Did I ever say that we should love others more than God? You think judging is our job as Christians when Jesus made it clear that it is not. I'm not saying that we should let people wallow in their sins without correction. Obviously if we love someone we don't want them to continue in sin. That's why I tell you that we need to correct ourselves and the church. People outside of the church don't need any correcting until they become believers. Throwing our rules at them does nothing but keep them away from Christ.

6. '''Love'''' is the number one commandment. '''Love God and others'''. People who have issues with this tend to be on the hateful side.
My reply is in response to this statement by you. Maybe I miss read it...? Were you agreeing with me?

Last edited:

Speaking of bad phrases, any phrase that equates "neighbor" with "others". Those words aren't synonyms. Jesus told us to hate our family, so obviously Jesus couldn't have meant for us to love everyone.

Just like we don't get to redefine what Jesus means by "neighbor", we don't get to redefine what Jesus means by "love." Yet, it has become a common practice for people to support all manner of ungodliness with the excuse of slapping a label of "love" on it. The law itself is an teacher of love, which Jesus himself as much as said he he summed up the law. Indeed, doing God's will, a repenting when we fail, is the expression of loving God.

Hence, we love God most when we choose to hate sin and deal with it by getting on our knees and repenting. Not, 'being love' or 'loving others'.

Yes.

Speaking of bad phrases, any phrase that equates "neighbor" with "others". Those words aren't synonyms. Jesus told us to hate our family, so obviously Jesus couldn't have meant for us to love everyone.

Just like we don't get to redefine what Jesus means by "neighbor", we don't get to redefine what Jesus means by "love." Yet, it has become a common practice for people to support all manner of ungodliness with the excuse of slapping a label of "love" on it. The law itself is an teacher of love, which Jesus himself as much as said he he summed up the law. Indeed, doing God's will, a repenting when we fail, is the expression of loving God.

Yes.
Who are our neighbors?

Just like we don't get to redefine what Jesus means by "neighbor", we don't get to redefine what Jesus means by "love."
Well done to pick up on that. That is actually a very interesting study. Lev 19:18 commands the Jews to love neighbors and hate enemies. Lev 19:34 says any foreigner who resides with them must be treated as 'native born' (neighbor). But yet they still had enemies to be hated. It seems that those who would not accept them were evil / to be hated / enemies. Which is reasonable as they probably wanted to see them eradicated and were hence ''extremely'' wicked. But to suggest the instruction to hate enemies is a blanket instruction on all foreigners not residing with them, is not what I see. Nor what I see Jesus intending either. In fact not at all what Jesus intended because we have Matt 5:44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you. Which makes it fine to group enemies into that 'neighbor bracket'.

Where does scripture say 'hate your family'? It is 'you will be hated'.

My reply is in response to this statement by you. Maybe I miss read it...? Were you agreeing with me?
My posts have been about judging. You're making judging out to be a major christian commandment or something and it isn't. You can't love someone while thinking you're better than them at the same time. Doesn't work.

For me, there is really one that annoys me above all others:

"Are you saved?"

Now, I know this is common vernacular for a lot of Christians, but let me explain why I hate it. First of all, my own personal belief is that we strive for salvation but can't know in this lifetime if we've got it, no matter how many personal dedications we make to God. God's the judge, he's the one who is going to tell me if I have been saved. So that's just my brand of Christianity, which is to say NOT the "saved/born again" variety.

Secondly, I see it as one of those questions that seeks to create an "us vs. them" kind of mentality. If someone says no, they the person asking is now in this position to "instruct" the "unsaved" person and I don't think it's up to that person to "instruct" the other since how does he/she even know if they're "saved" themselves?

Finally, it isn't a question that Christians asked each other for hundreds and hundreds of years. To me, someone re-invented the rules along the way, and to be "saved" means something very different from one denomination to the next. It is essentially asking someone "Are you a member of my denomination?"
Hello Peace. You said "First of all, my own personal belief is that we strive for salvation but can't know in this lifetime if we've got it, no matter how many personal dedications we make to God. God's the judge, he's the one who is going to tell me if I have been saved. So that's just my brand of Christianity, which is to say NOT the "saved/born again" variety."
That's concerning. I believe we should know if we obtained salvation. And what do you mean by striving for salvation? Do you mean work to get it? Cause Jesus paid the price, it's just up to us to repent and ask for forgiveness.
God bless.

That's concerning. I believe we should know if we obtained salvation. And what do you mean by striving for salvation? Do you mean work to get it? Cause Jesus paid the price, it's just up to us to repent and ask for forgiveness.
God bless.
Well, that's the other side, obviously, which I am not a part of, and I don't believe. I believe salvation is something you always strive for, and salvation is a combination of faith and good works. Don't forget that James 2:17 says "Faith without works is dead."

1. Did I ever say that we should love others more than God? 2. You think judging is our job as Christians when Jesus made it clear that it is not. 3. I'm not saying that we should let people wallow in their sins without correction. Obviously if we love someone we don't want them to continue in sin. That's why I tell you that we need to correct ourselves and the church. 4. People outside of the church don't need any correcting until they become believers. Throwing our rules at them does nothing but keep them away from Christ.
1. Yes, I quoted your post.
2. Yes, I gave you the scriptures. I don't think you understand what judging is. Judging is not condemning. That was the context when Jesus spoke on it.
3. What do you think judging is?
4. Who says throwing rules at them is judging? Who said anything about throwing rules?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back