Catholics, Orthodox And Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
You were asked to stay out. You did not. This is now a matter for the moderators. We have the right to have a discussion here free of hatred and judgment by fundamentalists.

The hatred is coming from your end.

Tell us, what is a fundamentalist, to you, and why do you think they are so wrong, that you would call people hateful fundies as a way to insult them?

You were asked to stay out of this thread and not cause trouble. Why did you not respect that simple request?

Tell us, what is a fundamentalist, to you, and why do you think they are so wrong, that you would call people hateful fundies as a way to insult them?
I don't think all fundamentalists are hateful but my experiences with you are such that I feel the word is warranted. We want to discuss Catholicism here and you are determined to butt in and tell us we're all wrong. Why on earth are you doing that?

They take every word of the Bible verbatim without any respect to the allegorical, the metaphorical, the hyperbolic, the poetic or the mystical, then accuse everyone who does not of going against the Word.

They demand the Creation story be taken as literal, and taught as though it were science.

They pay no respect to those who disagree with them.

They are hypocritical, because they never succeed in keeping all the rules they seek to impose on others.

They speak self-righteously, usually appointing themselves as defenders of the faith.

They accuse others who sincerely follow their heart as "compromising" the faith.

They are intent on maintaining that contradictions to their statements or beliefs are not contradictions.

They claim the right to judge others.

They judge others.

They claim that God is hateful.

They believe logic is unbiblical.

They believe science is unbiblical.

They believe claiming logic and science are biblical is unbiblical.

They believe their beliefs come from God and all others do not.

They do not believe tradition is sacred.

They do not believe charity is possible outside of the Christian community.

They believe good works are meaningless.

They believe people with good hearts will go to Hell.

They believe Hell is a literal place of eternal conscience torment.

They believe that most people go to Hell.

They believe people who disagree with them go to Hell.

They believe if you deny Hell you will go to Hell.

They believe Hell is the center of their faith.

They believe the world in becoming more immoral not less.

They take every word of the Bible verbatim without any respect to the allegorical, the metaphorical, the hyperbolic, the poetic or the mystical, then accuse everyone who does not of going against the Word.

They demand the Creation story be taken as literal, and taught as though it were science.

They are hypocritical, because they never succeed in keeping all the rules they seek to impose on others.

They speak self-righteously, usually appointing themselves as defenders of the faith.

They accuse others who sincerely follow their heart as "compromising" the faith.

They are intent on maintaining that contradictions to their statements or beliefs are not contradictions.

They judge others.

MMurphy, I am in awe. That was...perfect.

They judge others.

That is not the truth. You can't lump a group of people together like that with broad general accusations. Some of those beliefs are erroneous and some of them are right on.

They also seem to take great delight in mocking science texts, the dictionary, and other authoritative texts if those texts do not support their own definitions and beliefs. And since this is a thread concerning Catholicism, as an example I can cite that if they contend that Catholicism is not Christianity, but the dictionary and reputable history texts say they are, then the dictionary and history books are "man-made" and wrong.

That is not the truth. You can't lump a group of people together like that with broad general accusations. Some of those beliefs are erroneous and some of them are right on.

Oops! Just realized what thread I am in! If you want me out, then don't address me! :p:D:cool:

Hello everyone,

I want to make this thread as a particular safe haven for those who express adherence or sympathy to the Catholic/Orthodox Faiths. I myself am not a Catholic but I believe Catholics are just as much Christians as the rest of us, and I want a place here without anti-catholic sentiment. If you have anti-catholic beliefs please do not post them here and do not antagonize others into defending their faith.

There is no necessary subject to discuss, but I thought we could start with Theistic Evolution. From my experience more traditional faiths (Catholic/Orthodox) are more open to creative interpretation of Genesis so I wanted to know your thoughts and/or why you don't like Theistic Evolution.
Theistic evolution :).

1. Catholics are pro science, so am I, so should we all be (y). Popes acceptance of evolution is not to support it per sae, but rather to support science / not stand in the way of it (y).

2. The Pope / Catholics have made sure to accompany their support for any science with a list of their 'infallible dogma'.

3. The problem we have today is that evolution pushes the boundaries of Catholic infallible dogma / Christianity.

I am running out of time, will get back to my point 3.

Thank you for your concerns, as I said before, you are entitled to your opinion, but I request you do not share it here. This is a Catholic and Catholic-friendly thread.

That my dear friend simply is not going to fly. It may be what you would like to see happen but it is not possible.

And so the discussions and disagreements begin, this is how it all starts.
But since you're so interested, you're not supposed to bring a Bible to church, you're supposed to be paying attention to the lessons and the sermon. All the relevant Bible quotes for the day are there in bulletins and relevant places. There is a Bible at the altar if you really need one.

Told you so!

All you have is an opinion, all right? Your opinion that Catholicism isn't the truth is noted, but we're here to discuss what we BELIEVE to be the truth and you're not helping by injecting an unwelcome opinion into our discussion. Do it on other threads, we DON'T WANT that here. This isn't the place for fundamentalist proselytizing.

Whoaaaa. It is neither a place for Catholic proselytizing. It is a place for the truth and Love for the Christ of God to be expounded not a religion so to speak.

You DO NOT NEED to do that. Scripture lessons for the week are printed out and distributed in the weekly bulletin.

But, what if something said or printed needs to be referenced or another portion of Scripture needs to be considered for proper context. If you do not have a Bible with you, how is that then done.

No sir! It is a must to bring a Bible to an church service where the Word of God is explained.

Would you go to a knife fight without a knife?
Would you go to a gun fight without a gun?
Would you go to a car race without a car?
Would you go fishing with a rod and reel?

Whoaaaa. It is neither a place for Catholic proselytizing. It is a place for the truth and Love for the Christ of God to be expounded not a religion so to speak.
It won't be a thread for Catholic "proselytizing" either. But if you are hostile to Catholics the request is that you not disrupt things.

But, what if something said or printed needs to be referenced or another portion of Scripture needs to be considered for proper context. If you do not have a Bible with you, how is that then done.

No sir! It is a must to bring a Bible to an church service where the Word of God is explained.

Would you go to a knife fight without a knife?
Would you go to a gun fight without a gun?
Would you go to a car race without a car?
Would you go fishing with a rod and reel?
As I think I mentioned there are Bibles in Catholic churches if the need should arise, but I still don't see it happening. Much of what goes on in a Catholic church service isn't going to require people delving into their Bibles.

A common misunderstanding that some have regarding the Catholic Church and evolution is that the Church holds a definite doctrinal teaching of it...but that's not true.

Some Catholics believe Evolution is a sound theory and some Catholics believe it is a ridiculous theory and may even subscribe to Young Earth Creationism...and neither one is going against their Catholic faith.

The Church does have stronger leanings toward the first 11 chapters of Genesis to be written symbolically -- not that its message of original sin, obedience to God, and God's creation are not true, but that they are illustrated in symbolic writing -- but more importantly, Catholics also must believe in every word of the Bible including Genesis.

One criticism people have of the Catholic Church and its position on Evolution is that they believe it is trying to huddle up with Darwinism and compromising itself to it. But that's also not true. In the 4th century, St. Augustine, one of the most admired doctors of the Church, wrote his commentary on Genesis and expressed how the days needn't be taken in literal form, that God COULD have used certain means of His creation that may be unfolded and revealed to us in time. This was about 1500 years before Darwin's theory.

So in short; do Catholics HAVE to believe in Young Earth Creationism or Evolution to remain obedient Catholics? No. Do Catholics have to believe that the book of Genesis is truly inspired by God and must believe its message as 100% valid? Yes, because as Catholics, we must also believe in the validity of the Scriptures--every single word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back