Can someone help?

Can someone help?

I need help with understanding "For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."

Jesus was not in the heart of the earth for three days and three nights! He died Friday morning and rose Sunday morning. That's only two days and two nights. Where's the extra day and night coming from?:confused:

Unless they weren't three full days and nights...but that still leaves one missing night. Jesus died Friday (one day) was still dead all day Saturday (two days) and was still dead Sunday morning, but rose early that morning (three days). But now for the nights...Jesus was dead Friday night (one night) and was still dead Saturday all night (two nights) but that's it. No Sunday night. So Jesus was in the heart of the earth for three days (two and a half - at best) and two nights? I think it was explained to me once, but I've forgotten.

I'm wondering...

If the bible says that Jesus was crucified before the Jewish Sabbath, and the Sabbath actually starts on Friday night(As far as I can understand it...), then it is possible that He was actually dead on Thursday, which gave Him 3 days and 3 nights (Th night, Fr night and Sat night). Just a thought... What do you guys think?

Laura

Laura you are correct. But the actual 'days' may not be accurate because when the Gregorian Calendar was adopted on October 5, 1582, the committee under the direction of Pope Gregory had to completely throw out 11 full days to correct errors that had built up from the problems with the Julian Calendar. We may never know exactly what days were involved unless we go back through the original Hebrew calendar and do some calculations. The current "Friday through Sunday" chronology was 'assigned' as a convenience by 'the church' nearly 500 years ago but may not follow the proper time line during the actual course of the events surrounding the trial, Crucifixion, entombment and Resurrection of Christ. We can come close by the text of Matthew 26:2 (KJV) where Christ tells his Apostles as to when he will die... "on the Passover Day". Passover did not necessarilly coincide with the Jewish Sabbath day. Passover is calculated from the first day of the year on the Hebrew Calendar (Nisan 01) and adding 14 days. This takes us to sundown on Nisan 14. The 15th day of Nisan was the Passover day. Therefore Christ had to have died on the Cross on Nisan 15 and before the start of Nisan 16. Remember that the Hebrew days started at sundown, not at midnight.

We may never know exactly which days, during that week, that these events truly took place, but we should care deeply that these events DID occur at all.

`

Yeah, my friend and I were confused about that too. We were going to ask a pastor about that, but didn't get the chance. Thanks for making this forum, it's helpful.
-Kid

I need help with understanding "For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."

Jesus was not in the heart of the earth for three days and three nights! He died Friday morning and rose Sunday morning. That's only two days and two nights. Where's the extra day and night coming from?:confused:

I have heard that "heart of the earth" means that Jesus was to suffer for 3 days and 3 nights in the clutches of the evilness in this world. His suffering lasted for 3 days and nights all in all including the suffering he went through prior to his crucifixion. The time span started the day he drank from the cup of God the fathers wrath against His peoples sins in the garden of Gethsemane which was thursday.

Back