Can Satan read minds?

You have your own voice, because you are God's unique creation made in His image both outside and inside.
But as FishCatcherJim pointed out, man was designed to have a spiritual overlord and it will be either Jesus or Satan. We have to choose which thoughts we take. Just having an evil thought is not a sin, for temptation is temptation, not sin, it's when you meditate that thought and begin to entertain and agree with it that it will become sin.
But no, Satan cannot read your mind, but he can give you thoughts. Again as Jim pointed out, the devil watches us and he's been doing this stuff for 1,000s of years, he's pretty good at it. He gives thoughts in the first person so that it seems like it's you, when it's really not.
His name, the Devil, in Greek is actually a compound name that means "one who strikes repeatedly" as with a rock or a ball. He is named that because mental warfare is how he operates, to pressure you with repeated thoughts until you eventually agree with them and speak and act those thoughts. That is what spiritual warfare is all about. He has to get your agreement, because he has no authority whatsoever - he needs you to do it. So, through suggestion to both your mind and flesh is how he operates.
Ask the Holy Spirit to sensitize you to Him and to help spot any thought or pressure that is not of God and then take the thoughts captive, bind whatever spirit it trying to make you depressed/stressed/fearful/nervous/etc.
See, this is the question that I have again...if like you said he puts thoughts into your mind in the first person, to make you think it is you thinking them, then he must mimic our own thought voice or we would know right away that it is not our thoughts because it doesn't sound like us. So then, if he does use our own thought voice, how would he know what it sounds like if he couldn't get in our minds to hear it?

Satan's minions study us, and listen to our speech, and watch our behaviour and they can implant thoughts and impressions in our minds that will influence us, and that we will utter and cinch the deal by putting power to the thought.

We do have to be careful not to attribute every nasty thought we have to the devil, because we also are capable of much evil on our very own, thank you very much! Satan is not omnipresent, and neither are his demons.

Jeremiah 17:9
“The human heart is the most deceitful of all things,
and desperately wicked.
Who really knows how bad it is?

See, this is the question that I have again...if like you said he puts thoughts into your mind in the first person, to make you think it is you thinking them, then he must mimic our own thought voice or we would know right away that it is not our thoughts because it doesn't sound like us. So then, if he does use our own thought voice, how would he know what it sounds like if he couldn't get in our minds to hear it?
Mykuhl would you please explain this mimic our voice so it sounds like us thing ?
Thoughts all sound the same

Mykuhl would you please explain this mimic our voice so it sounds like us thing ?
Thoughts all sound the same
Jim, Don't you hear your own thoughts when you think them? If so, then sound a certain way in your mind. Have you ever heard your own voice on a recording and thought, "do I really sound like that?". I know I have and so have others, this is because your voice sounds different than the thoughts in your head.

Satan's minions study us, and listen to our speech, and watch our behaviour and they can implant thoughts and impressions in our minds that will influence us, and that we will utter and cinch the deal by putting power to the thought.

We do have to be careful not to attribute every nasty thought we have to the devil, because we also are capable of much evil on our very own, thank you very much! Satan is not omnipresent, and neither are his demons.

Jeremiah 17:9
“The human heart is the most deceitful of all things,
and desperately wicked.
Who really knows how bad it is?

Euphemia there is no such thing as Gods thoughts and the devils thoughts and My thoughts.
This word will bind you up sister omnipresent.........we have demons and spirits folloowing us around constantly.... trying to oppress us and get us to react or act on their influences. Spirit of anger is a good example. Infermities and so forth..Dont even think saying the devilis not omnipresent means you are ever away from influence from them..

Jim, Don't you hear your own thoughts when you think them? If so, then sound a certain way in your mind. Have you ever heard your own voice on a recording and thought, "do I really sound like that?". I know I have and so have others, this is because your voice sounds different than the thoughts in your head.

You answered your own question Mykuhl..............Thoughts in your head sound one way.....your voice spoken sounds another..........the devil places thoughts........ not your voice being spoken outward.......inward thoughts........thoughts.........thoughts.............thoughts

You answered your own question Mykuhl..............Thoughts in your head sound one way.....your voice spoken sounds another..........the devil places thoughts........ not your voice being spoken outward.......inward thoughts........thoughts.........thoughts.............thoughts
Jim,.that is what I have been trying to say....because our own thoughts sound a certain way, how can Satan or his demons copy it's sound? I can even describe to you how my thought voice sounds like but I can't make you hear it because you can't get into my mind to hear it lol.

Jim,.that is what I have been trying to say....because our own thoughts sound a certain way, how can Satan or his demons copy it's sound? I can even describe to you how my thought voice sounds like but I can't make you hear it because you can't get into my mind to hear it lol.
Get past the how.........it will be easier for you. lol
They do not copy it...........all thoughts are influeneced by something. A tv add might place a thought in your head. A smell or sound. The spiritual realm is more alive and busier then most will ever understand. I can not give the technical aspects of how this is done but I can except this and become armed and ready..

Get past the how.........it will be easier for you. lol
They do not copy it...........all thoughts are influeneced by something. A tv add might place a thought in your head. A smell or sound. The spiritual realm is more alive and busier then most will ever understand. I can not give the technical aspects of how this is done but I can except this and become armed and ready..
Ok, then you are saying that if I think a thought in my head and it is evil and vile then it is my own thought that was influenced by demons?

Ok, then you are saying that if I think a thought in my head and it is evil and vile then it is my own thought that was influenced by demons?
A thought does not have to be "EVIL" TO BE INFLUENCED BY THE DEVIL
say your friend is getting on your nerves and starts getting ugly with you and out of no where you heard your self say something not nice........you simply acted on an influenced thought with out stopping and thinking.........have you ever gotten in an argument with some one and all of a sudden you just go off and keep on going and going telling them every what for ?

ROFL I call that the machinegun syndrom.....it is simply satan feeding you thoughts after thoughts and as long as you keep on speaking them he will place them in you faster then you can speak them.

Hey no one is loooking......I can do this........hmmm now where did that thought come from?
Impulse thoughts with feelings or emotions are some of his specialties...... it is not simply well this thought said he is jerk and a what ya have it or praise God glory to the sunshine.

Remember he is the mastor of camouflaging things........

I would like to know if there is anywhere in the bible that says that either satan can or can not read minds? I don't remember reading anything either way. If he can't read minds then how can he speak words into your mind and have them sound like your own thoughts, when you and God are the only ones that know what the voice of your thoughts sound like?
No way Jose! Here's why:

1 Corinthians 2:8 KJV - Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known [it], they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

But they can mess with your mind and do... the parable of the sower and the birds...

I would like to know if there is anywhere in the bible that says that either satan can or can not read minds? I don't remember reading anything either way. If he can't read minds then how can he speak words into your mind and have them sound like your own thoughts, when you and God are the only ones that know what the voice of your thoughts sound like?

First of all Satan is not omniscient. That is, he is not all-knowing. Neither is he omnipotent. Only God is Omnipotent (all-powerful). And finally, Satan is not omnipresent. He is a created being. He can not be in more than one place at a time anymore than we can be and so when two people say that they are being attacked by Satan at the same time, we know this can not be true.

It may be that the Enemy’s agents, fallen angels called demons, may be the culprit, but we should not give the Devil too much credit. He can’t be everywhere at once. He can be directing his evil spirits to do his biding but he can not be everywhere at the same time and neither can he overcome His Creator, God. And he certainly can not be all-knowing. There is no biblical evidence that Satan can read our minds.

However, my wife on the other hand can look at me and know what I am thinking. That is how we had our last child. She knew what I was thinking but I outran her.

Euphemia there is no such thing as Gods thoughts and the devils thoughts and My thoughts.
This word will bind you up sister omnipresent.........we have demons and spirits folloowing us around constantly.... trying to oppress us and get us to react or act on their influences. Spirit of anger is a good example. Infermities and so forth..Dont even think saying the devilis not omnipresent means you are ever away from influence from them..

Sorry, Jim, but I differ with you here. Man is also evil, and can dream up all sorts of evil things without the devil's direct influence---just as scripture says, the heart of man is wicked. There are a finite number of demons, and billions of people.

You know, if we multiply out how many angels are around God's throne in Revelation the number is in the many trillions, and since they are 2/3 of the number of original angels, that means there are also trillions of demons, and as Major pointed out, Satan himself is only in 1 place at a time and he has assigned various devils to do various things in various places and they have their underlings, various evil spirits, etc. The Good News is that they are under our feet, all of them, according to Ephesians 1, and they have to look up to see us in the order of authority and so we have all power and authority over them and whatever they can do, according to Luke 10 v 19 & John 20 v 21 & Matthew 28 v 18.

Plus our angels outnumber them 2 to 1, and if we speak God's Word against their trash that they try to bring against us (any form of poverty, shortage, rebellion, lack, closed doors, defeat, anger, lust, strife, sickness, disease, pain, etc...basically whatever was not in Eden and isn't in Heaven) then our angels can go to work on the Word of God according to Hebrews 1 v 13,14 & Psalm 103 v 20.

I would say it like this, the voice of your spirit man sounds a whole lot like your outward voice, just inside of your head. So, when you think things, it is your real voice, inside of a head, so when an evil spirit is trying to give you thoughts it mimics your voice and since it's spoken inside your head it sounds the sender as when you have thoughts with your voice inside your head.

Sorry, Jim, but I differ with you here. Man is also evil, and can dream up all sorts of evil things without the devil's direct influence---just as scripture says, the heart of man is wicked. There are a finite number of demons, and billions of people.
True Euphemia forman is born intosin and has a sin nature. This simn nature is influenced by evil and we know that satanis the source behind evil. You might be surprised at the numbers. Any way we both Knowwhich side or bread is buttered on!! ;)
No need to say sorry Jim this I differ...it's all good between friends.
Blessings
Jm

Like major said, he is a created being and is not omni-anything.
That said, he has been around for a while, as have the demons. So they know the short comings of man, how man operates and how to deceive us.

Also remember, as Euphemia pointed out, not to discredit the deceit of our hearts. Many times, the evil things that we think come from our fleshly desires of our hearts as said in Jeremiah 17:9. Hence why we should guard our hearts, for it is the wellspring of life - Proverbs 4:23.

If we do not guard our hearts, the symptoms will show, even if they aren't visible to our loved ones, the demons can see it. They've been at it for a while, they have more experience on human nature than we do.

An excellent thread Mykuhl. I have considered exactly that same question many times.
When you think, or dream in bed, you imagine all sorts of conversations going on, or at least I do.
I don't necessarily "hear" someone speak with a specific sound or accent, but within me I "know" its them because of other non specific signals. I might hear someone address me from behind, and in my dream I know its my wife, or a teacher from my first school. The former voice would obviously be familiar, the latter, being from 60 years ago, not a chance. But within me, I know who both are.

I believe this is because in the realm of the spirit, sound is not the medium. Word sounds are just a code system to transfer our inner thoughts or concepts. The real language is the concept itself, from which the word springs. When we enter the heavenly realm, I believe that we will converse by thought concepts addressed one to the other.
I believe that this is what happens right now when we hear God speak. There are times when I have heard God speak with great clarity. Then when I try to write it down, I find there is a conflict within me as to what the exact words were. I then realise that there were several phrases overlaying each other spoken simultaneously, rather like several overhead projector transparencies on top of each other. They all convey the vision separately, but amplify it together. You can see this with some of the prophetic scenes in the bible.

Back to your inner thoughts. Demons merely have to convey concepts direct to our inner man and it is we who label them as ours because they are so like our thoughts because they are communicated at thought level. Being subtle, Satan is quite able to match thoughts, just slightly off track but still sounding very reasonable. Then once we start an inner conversation going with those thoughts, I believe that he, or his demons are able to clearly read our responses because we have established the lines of communication.
I hate the thought that he has such access, but that is the only logical conclusion that matches experience. It also ties in with the scripture that has already been quoted.
2Cor10v3For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. 4The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. 5We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

Those thoughts that we take captive are not therefore necessarily our own thoughts, even though they float around our heads and keep repeating themselves. I have many times treated them as demonic, cast them out and seen them silenced.

If demons didn't have the ability to commune with us in such ways, there would be no need to issue warnings about doctrines of demons would there?

How about
The life/thought process takes place in the spirit realm the body/mind is simply a vehicle for manifestation in this realm.
For possession or thought stimulization/behavior modification are due to channeling developed according to the influences these vessels are subjected to.
Reading - no - instead observation and stimulization/influence in the spirit realm.

How about
The life/thought process takes place in the spirit realm the body/mind is simply a vehicle for manifestation in this realm.
For possession or thought stimulization/behavior modification are due to channeling developed according to the influences these vessels are subjected to.
Reading - no - instead observation and stimulization/influence in the spirit realm.
I can't make sense of this, could you make it a bit clearer for a simple mind like mine.

Back