Can One Disciple Themselves?

I dont see what you complaining about then. You have a wife, lovely children, you read the bible, God is really quiet with you and doesnt yell at you like He might do with others, you cope well with your wife having MS, you get to look after her, you going to heaven...really, nothing I see thats wrong. You are responsible, and you pray.

God is answering and his ways are higher than ours, so...not sure what your complaint is. If you dont know He loves you then maybe somethings wrong but Im sure you know maybe you just not feeling it right now. Its never God that is wrong usually an issue with ourselves. IF you desire an audience with God like Job then you just got to shut up and listen to Him.

I cant get through the book of Job without hearing him constantly complain all the time!!! Woe is me!!

In answer to your OP question ..NO. We cant be self righteous. We always need Jesus and if we don t have the holy spirit which he sent to help us we cant really do anything. So ask and receive.

I know one of my issues when it comes to me being a Christian is that I have never been discipled by another man. When I became Christian, I was given a pat on the back, an admonition to read my Bible and nothing else. I can tell you that it definitely shows.

Can one disciple themselves?

I have asked several to take me under their wing, but they are always too busy. So I have been going at this all on my own. I have no real prayer life, I start reading the Bible and then I get bored with it after a couple weeks, especially after I had read it cover-to-cover once already. It's the same thing over again.

Maybe I am truly not cut out to be a Christian.

I truly believe you are cut out to be a Christian....you my brother have a purpose....all God's children do. I think of your wife and what a blessing you have been to her and your children.

As I stated, maybe I am not cut out to be a Christian.

Every single human being every born on this planet earth is cut out to be a Christian.. Bible says, we are created in the image of God.. Not that believers are created in His image.. Even unbelievers.. So never ever thing that way! That is work of devil.. Trying to steal and rob the joy of salvation..

I know one of my issues when it comes to me being a Christian is that I have never been discipled by another man. When I became Christian, I was given a pat on the back, an admonition to read my Bible and nothing else. I can tell you that it definitely shows.

Can one disciple themselves?

I have asked several to take me under their wing, but they are always too busy. So I have been going at this all on my own. I have no real prayer life, I start reading the Bible and then I get bored with it after a couple weeks, especially after I had read it cover-to-cover once already. It's the same thing over again.

Maybe I am truly not cut out to be a Christian.
In my personal experience, discipleship has never been some arrangement where two people agree on some terms.. And one person has a period of sort of training on things.. At least for me, it never worked that way.. I have had Spiritual fathers and do have even now.. And there have been times where Lord put me on the spot to disciple someone else.. But on very specific things.. It is often the situation and circumstance which makes me learn from someone..

You don't need someone to show you how to pray.. No one can teach how to pray.. You can observe how someone is praying and how it is being effective and look at the good things and learn.. That is how I would say discipleship works.. So do not expect someone to come up with some sort of 2 year plan or anything.. It would never happen..

Well the holy spirit teaches you all these things. So not sure why the complaint that you arent being discipled by a man?! Jesus is more than a man, hes the Son of God!

Maybe hes been teaching you all along but you havent really been listening. That happens sometimes. We are not meant to go after false teachers anyway, who will lead us astray. Discern his voice. You read the Bible, so pray and ask for His word to be written on your heart.

The only thing can think of is...maybe theres something wrong with your bible? Is it missing verses?
Like the one about the holy spirit teaching you all these things??

Well the holy spirit teaches you all these things. So not sure why the complaint that you arent being discipled by a man?! Jesus is more than a man, hes the Son of God!

Maybe hes been teaching you all along but you havent really been listening. That happens sometimes. We are not meant to go after false teachers anyway, who will lead us astray. Discern his voice. You read the Bible, so pray and ask for His word to be written on your heart.

The only thing can think of is...maybe theres something wrong with your bible? Is it missing verses?
Like the one about the holy spirit teaching you all these things??

No, nothing wrong with my Bible.

Because I am looking for a physical man to disciple me. Someone to stand by me that I can physically see and that can physically disciple me. Someone that I can touch and feel and who can hug me when I mess up or something sad happens in my life. One that we can take a day and go fishing and just talk Jesus all day long.

These are the things that I need.

Every single human being every born on this planet earth is cut out to be a Christian.. Bible says, we are created in the image of God.. Not that believers are created in His image.. Even unbelievers.. So never ever thing that way! That is work of devil.. Trying to steal and rob the joy of salvation..
Amen brother.

No, nothing wrong with my Bible.

Because I am looking for a physical man to disciple me. Someone to stand by me that I can physically see and that can physically disciple me. Someone that I can touch and feel and who can hug me when I mess up or something sad happens in my life. One that we can take a day and go fishing and just talk Jesus all day long.

These are the things that I need.

I think you are crying out for a Christian friend...and that is definitely something God can provide for you, just for the asking! You ask Him and I will, and your fiends here will also, and before too long, I believe that God will follow through, based on our faith working together!

I trust you, Jesus, to bring into naomanos' life a strong, godly and wise male friend to counsel, guide and love him!

Thank you. As you were typing the above out I was adding to that post just what you said above about being a good husband father and son. That is all that I truly want out of this life and nothing more.
Naomanos, Ask the Lord to give you everything he has for you! Find every promise in scriptures and ask, and then thank the Lord for them. Tell the Lord you want every thing. Do not be content with just being a simple person. That has a false humility to it, and seems holy and Just, but it is not! A humble man has all of his "cares" cast upon the Lord for every thing in his life. "Humble yourself under the mighty hand of God by casting all of your care upon him, for he cares for you". You need all that the Lord has for you, Be courageous and bold in your asking and believing. Do not accept defeat on any level. Never give up, and stand your ground. The Lord has done for you exceeding, abundantly more than you could ever ask or think, and he did this according to his power that lives in you, and that power is the Glory of God, which was given to you by Jesus Christ. It goes throughout all time, and it is a world without end.

Tell the Lord you want every thing. Do not be content with just being a simple person. That has a false humility to it, and seems holy and Just, but it is not!

I'm sorry, but no.

I truly want a simple life. I want nothing more than I already have. I have a wife, children, a roof over our heads, food in our stomachs, a car to travel with, our bills paid and salvation. I want for the salvation of my children too. I want nothing more than those things other than as Euphemia mentioned a Christian friend.

If it offends you, I am truly sorry, but I want nothing more than what I mentioned above.

I'm sorry, but no.

I truly want a simple life. I want nothing more than I already have. I have a wife, children, a roof over our heads, food in our stomachs, a car to travel with, our bills paid and salvation. I want for the salvation of my children too. I want nothing more than those things other than as Euphemia mentioned a Christian friend.

If it offends you, I am truly sorry, but I want nothing more than what I mentioned above.
Brother, if you want to be a good father, and husband then you need every thing the Lord has for you. Just wanting a few things will not give you what you are desiring! Our love to our families only happens when our love to God is at its peak. This is why Jesus said...

Luk 14:26 "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.

Certainly, God does not want us to hate our wife, or any members of our family at any time. What he was referring to is we can not love these people unless we love God first and foremost, because all love flows from God to us, and then it flows to our family. This requires to you desire all that the the Lord has for you first.

Brother, if you want to be a good father, and husband then you need every thing the Lord has for you. Just wanting a few things will not give you what you are desiring! Our love to our families only happens when our love to God is at its peak. This is why Jesus said...

Luk 14:26 "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.

Certainly, God does not want us to hate our wife, or any members of our family at any time. What he was referring to is we can not love these people unless we love God first and foremost, because all love flows from God to us, and then it flows to our family. This requires to you desire all that the the Lord has for you first.

Again, I say no.

I do not want miracles and things like that. I just want what I mentioned and nothing more. I do not want to be a prophet, a healer or any of those things.I do not want to speak in tongues.

I want a simple life. If No one can come to terms with that, it's not my problem, but theirs.

I can have a simple life and still love God. My life doesn't have to be anything more than simple to love God.

Again, I say no.

I do not want miracles and things like that. I just want what I mentioned and nothing more. I do not want to be a prophet, a healer or any of those things.I do not want to speak in tongues.

I want a simple life. If No one can come to terms with that, it's not my problem, but theirs.

I can have a simple life and still love God. My life doesn't have to be anything more than simple to love God.
Well, all I can say is what you have now is according to your faith. You will never experience anymore than what your faith allows. In other words your are stuck where you are, and will nor grow any further until you desire more from the Lord.

Well, all I can say is what you have now is according to your faith. You will never experience anymore than what your faith allows. In other words your are stuck where you are, and will nor grow any further until you desire more from the Lord.

I have faith that you are incorrect.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the simple life that I want to live.

I have faith that you are incorrect.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the simple life that I want to live.
If you have a "electronic" Bible, like "E-Sword" do a search on the word "simple". You will find many scriptures talking about those who are simple. It is not good. You do not want to be just a simple person, it never goes good for them.

I'm sorry, but no.

I believe you are doing fine naomanos with what the Lord has given you at this time. I hope you can find a true friend that is Christian. acquaintances are a dime a dozen, but true friends are as scarce as hen's teeth.....well almost.

I think that I understand you. I attended a church some years ago where discipleship was practiced as a part of church life. Everybody who wanted could choose an older man or woman and have a regular pastoral care. Now I attend a church where people are not so friendly and it is very hard for me to find some help. Most of women have small children and are busy.

I will pray for your situation. If you have some possibility, you could try to visit another church.

If you have a "electronic" Bible, like "E-Sword" do a search on the word "simple". You will find many scriptures talking about those who are simple. It is not good. You do not want to be just a simple person, it never goes good for them.

I think you are taking the word simple as used in the Bible and applying it to my life in a different way then what I mean.

Back