Can one choose to believe, or does it just happens?

How to Believe...............

First unregistered. Let us know who you are, give yourself something we can identify you with. Take the time to fill out a profile....... We get lots of peeps that fly by to poke fun at Christianity, or ask questions and we never hear from them again. Stick around, we are nice folks, even if you don't Believe in anything.

As for the leprechaun? I would personally have to see one, then do some DNA testing to make sure it is one. Then I might start believing in them.

The whole topic is not how to believe. It was "Can we choose to believe something." Then it branched off to can we believe if "God" does not allow us to believe. It can get pretty silly if you think about it. I mean if God does not allow you to believe, then you don't believe. That is hog Wash.

The truth is, you can believe what you want. Our mental institutions are full of those that have done this. If you think on something long enough, it may soon become a reality. There was a pole that asked people if they believed the medical practices they saw on TV shows was correct. Most did, and what is scary, most believe what they saw would be a correct way to treat someone that had the same medical emergency in real life, when in fact most of the stuff on TV is not correct medical practices.

Concerning God.................

It would not be silly not to believe in God. (Supreme Creator) I mean look around you. It is mathematically impossible for anything to have evolved from anything. That has been proven. What causes Cells to know how to form a perfect human being? What causes a dead seed to grow into a plant? Science can't answer these questions yet. Evolution uses one variable to explain everything. It's called "TIME" and it don't hold water. It has even been proven the moon is not over six thousand years old.

Now the question is............. if math can prove "Creator" is it the same creator that is the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ that Died for your sins to give you victory. Not only in this time, but in the time to come? Are we talking about that "Creator". The Word of God is perfect and says "Yes" that is the creator we are talking about.........

Be blessed.

Perhaps you can help me then. I have never been able to consciously CHOOSE any of the beliefs that I have and I would like to be able to do that - for example to effect a belief that it is possible for me to become a more compassionate person. Since you seem to say that you can consciously CHOOSE to believe things, I wonder if you might explain how you do it. What do you do at the last moment to instantly change your one state of belief to another? What is it that you do that would allow you to say, “OK, at this moment I have a lack of belief that ‘x’ exists or is true, but I CHOOSE to believe that ‘x’ exists or is true and now instantly at this new moment I do believe that ‘x’ exists or is true?

Maybe you could use something like leprechauns to demonstrate your technique. According to the Encyclopedia Britannica, a leprechaun is “a fairy peculiar to Ireland, who appeared in the form of an old man of minute stature, wearing a cocked hat and a leather apron.” So, assuming that you don’t already have a belief in them, how about right now, while you are reading this, CHOOSE to believe - be convinced without a doubt - that they exist. Now that you believe in leprechauns, my question is, how did you do it? How did you make the instantaneous transition from lack of belief to belief?

I have the choice to believe what God says or not. I do not go by feelings, by make a decision to believe what He says is true. We cannot try to change what we believe, in our own self or strength apart from Him.

Since I have repented of sin, and recieved Jesus as my Lord because He died and rose from the dead to save me, I choose to follow Him and obey Him. That is what is pleasing to Him.

He loves people and is compassionate. He lives within me. I pray and ask Him to help me be like Him, for Him to love others through me, even though I cannot do so in my own strength. The Bible says with God nothing is impossible. So I choose to believe that and put aside what I would want to do or say, and instead treat those people with love as He tells me to. The more time I spend talking to Jesus like I would a freind and also spend time worshipping Him, He changes me, making it easier for me to be more like Him and do what He would do or say in any situation.

The only way to accomplish anything is to believe what God says about that particular thing or situation. I have not seen anything in the Bible about leprechauns, so I would not have the faith to change to believe in them. The only thing we have to base our faith on, is what it says in His Word. The promises God makes to us in His Word we know He wants to bring to pass, so even if I have not experienced them yet, I can choose to believe He will bring it to pass. If I have believed something that is the opposite from what I read in the Bible, I make the decision to choose to believe what He says over what I have always thought. Because He is God and He is never wrong. So I have to be the one who is wrong and will be glad He showed me the truth. I renew my mind to His way of thinking and doing things by reading and meditating on what He said on a matter, until my mind and will comes in line with His.

GodSpeaks,

re: “ I have not seen anything in the Bible about leprechauns, so I would not have the faith to change to believe in them.”

So you’re not able to consciously CHOOSE to believe things. Perhaps someone else can help me.

Maybe you could use something like leprechauns to demonstrate your technique. According to the Encyclopedia Britannica, a leprechaun is “a fairy peculiar to Ireland, who appeared in the form of an old man of minute stature, wearing a cocked hat and a leather apron.” So, assuming that you don’t already have a belief in them, how about right now, while you are reading this, CHOOSE to believe - be convinced without a doubt - that they exist. Now that you believe in leprechauns, my question is, how did you do it? How did you make the instantaneous transition from lack of belief to belief?

First of all what has leprechauns got to do with God and belief ? Those things just don't exist and are myths , whereas ,God , Jesus and the Holy Spirt are real . I don't even think the come close to what you are talking about here.

If you say you are reading your Bible every day and you have accepted Jesus as your personal Saviour , the scriptures will come alive in your heart and as you keep reading the Holy Spirit will help you to believe . In our Christian walk it is a progression and each day God reveals Himself through the scripture and I don't even have to think if I believe because it is a natural acceptance .

I also have to say my belief is based on my love for Jeus Christ and what He has dopne for me on the cross . He died for me and washed away all my sins . How do I know cause the things I used to do , I do not want to do any more. It is the Holy Spirit in my now directing my life. I have purpose and a plan . I willingly want to serve Him becsue I also know my destiny is to see Jeus one day in heaven because His Word has promised that .

The issue in whether or not you have a relationship with God isn't what beliefs you agree with or what meetings you go to, or what religion you're a part of. The whole issue is, "Where are you placing your trust to get you to heaven?" In your Christianity? In your Christian religion or rituals? In your Christian upbringing or your Christian knowledge? Or even trying to live like a Christian? None of those can save you from the awful death penalty for our sinful rebellion against God. It's got to be Jesus...all Jesus...only Jesus

Romans 10 : 10 ...... For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

You see you can have head knowledge and think you belive but if it does not travel to your heart , then truly you are not believing and will always question after the fact.

GodSpeaks,

re: “ I have not seen anything in the Bible about leprechauns, so I would not have the faith to change to believe in them.”

So you’re not able to consciously CHOOSE to believe things. Perhaps someone else can help me.

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sure I am, because I used to believe in them and alot of those type things. But I don't choose to believe in them now because I don't want to.[/FONT]

In this world with so many things being instant, thats what we always want, but in reality everything does not always happen instantly. But the more you put into practice what I said earlier , there will come times that we can choose to believe and do so instantly.

If you honestly want to be able to believe that it is possible to become a more compassionate person, I've told you how you can. You ARE able to consciously CHOOSE any of the beliefs you have, by saying you decide you want to believe, with the help of God. Its a DECISON on your part and He helps you, if its in line with His word, by using the principles I stated even for other situations.

As for leprechauns, that has nothing to do with anything as serious an choosing beliefs. I choose to believe what GOD say, and if he doesn't say anything about them then I couldn't care less and its unimportant. He leads us into truth and we are not to be distracted and waste time with things that would hinder our faith in Him and what we are to do in this life for His glory.

So this IS possible if you do it His way. But apart from the Almighty God you don't have His help, so you have the right to go ahead and try to do, or to choose to believe anything you want in your own strength, including believing in leprechauns. :)

WordOFaith,

re: “Let us know who you are...”

My screen name is “rstrats”.

re: “Take the time to fill out a profile...”

How do you do that when you’re not allowed to register?

re: “Stick around, we are nice folks, even if you don't Believe in anything.”

Where did you get the idea that I don’t believe in anything?

WordOFaith,

re: “As for the leprechaun? I would personally have to see one, then do some DNA testing to make sure it is one. Then I might start believing in them.”

rstrats says: Since you can’t simply consciously CHOOSE to believe things, you won’t be able to help me.

re: “Take the time to fill out a profile...”

How do you do that when you’re not allowed to register?

That seems very strange. I was not aware that you could not register. ummmmmm

rstrats says: Since you can’t simply consciously CHOOSE to believe things, you won’t be able to help me.

I don't think it wise for us to just to choose to believe "Anything" I believe the Word of God and it happens to be backed by scientific fact.

Where did you get the idea that I don’t believe in anything?

Being a Christian Forum, one might assume that a belief in God V.S not believing in God. It does not mean you can't believe in anything, but Most here might make the assumption that if you don't believe in God, then you would be labeled a "Non-Believer" Which is the most common term. I don't think if you stated if you believe in God, and would it be the God the father of the Lord Jesus Christ. So, it's just a label.

Be Blessed.

WordOFaith,

re: “I don't think it wise for us to just to choose to believe ‘Anything’".

Perhaps not, but could you?

WordOFaith,

re: “I don't think it wise for us to just to choose to believe ‘Anything’".

Perhaps not, but could you?

I think every one here has been very kind to respond to your questions and i am sorry you do not want to reister with us as i think it is you who does not want to as there are no restrictions saying you can't . At least nothing that I am aware of .

We all told you what we believe and why and belief is a choice that you have to make . No body can make that for you and as long as you have doubts , you will not freely believe in Jesus as He is not a belief , He is a person , the Son of the Living God , whom to know is life eternal . It is a relationship that we have with Jeus Christ ... our faith in Him helps our belief.

Hi, this is my second time on the forum. I'm new to christianity. As I read the bible I find the christian message more and more valuable and attractive. I can see all the good it could bring in me if I was able to put it more into my life. I'm trying to understand what it means to believe, and I often wonder if one can choose to believe, or if it just happens.
Thanks for your time,
Olivier

One question .... Are you the same person who wrote the original post ?

"Christ paid too high a price to leave us unguarded. What a difference this assurance makes."-Max Lucado

Dusty,

re: “ i am sorry you do not want to reister with us as i think it is you who does not want to as there are no restrictions saying you can't .”

I would very much like to register. However, the following statement is at the end of the registration process: “REGARDING REGISTRATION: You HAVE TO BE A CHRISTIAN and you should PROVIDE AS MUCH INFORMATION AS POSSIBLE to be accepted here. We thank you for your co-operation. NON-CHRISTIANS: If you are not a Christian, please post your questions in the ANSWERS FORUM situated under 'CFS Outreach Ministry' and we will attempt to answer them.” So technically I could register, but I would have to lie in order to do it. Is that what you want me to do?

Dusty,

re: “ i am sorry you do not want to reister with us as i think it is you who does not want to as there are no restrictions saying you can't .”

I would very much like to register. However, the following statement is at the end of the registration process: “REGARDING REGISTRATION: You HAVE TO BE A CHRISTIAN and you should PROVIDE AS MUCH INFORMATION AS POSSIBLE to be accepted here. We thank you for your co-operation. NON-CHRISTIANS: If you are not a Christian, please post your questions in the ANSWERS FORUM situated under 'CFS Outreach Ministry' and we will attempt to answer them.” So technically I could register, but I would have to lie in order to do it. Is that what you want me to do?

Of course not . But you said in your opening post that you were a Christian if I am not mistaken .

My first post was post #17, and I said nothing about being a Christian.

Dusty,

re: “... every one here has been very kind to respond to your questions...We all told you what we believe and why...”

But that wasn’t what I asked for.

Dusty,

re: “Sorry what did you ask ?”

I said in my post #20. I would like to see someone, someone who says that they can consciously CHOOSE to believe things, actually demonstrate such an ability. I don’t think that it can be done. I say that because I’ve never been able to consciously CHOOSE any of the beliefs that I have, and nobody that I have asked - and there have been scores - has ever complied by demonstrating such an ability. So let me repeat my request, because if it’s possible, I would really like to see - in real time - that it can be done:

If you say that you can consciously CHOOSE to believe things, I wonder if you might explain how you do it. What do you do at the last moment to instantly change your one state of belief to another? What is it that you do that would allow you to say, “OK, at this moment I have a lack of belief that ‘x’ exists or is true, but I CHOOSE to believe that ‘x’ exists or is true and now instantly at this new moment I do believe that ‘x’ exists or is true?

Again, maybe you could use something like leprechauns to demonstrate your technique. According to the Encyclopedia Britannica, a leprechaun is “a fairy peculiar to Ireland, who appeared in the form of an old man of minute stature, wearing a cocked hat and a leather apron.” So, assuming that you don’t already have a belief in them, how about right now, while you are reading this, CHOOSE to believe - be convinced without a doubt - that they exist. Now that you believe in leprechauns, my question is, how did you do it? How did you make the instantaneous transition from lack of belief to belief?

Back