1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Butterfly

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by sdcougar, Oct 22, 2011.

1. or is it a moth?

[​IMG]

2. One could easily mistake it for a monarch butterfly, except that it's yellow, not orange. Moths are usually ugly and plain.

But, its hairy body gives it away as a moth. Also, compared to a real monarch, it's relatively ugly (less color intensity than a monarch).

3. Tiger Swallowtail butterfly:). Had a butterfly and moth collection as a youth. I often collected caterpillars I found on our farm and raised them in jars, including Monarchs, White-Marked Tussock Moths (now there's a plain looking moth for you), Polyphemus Moths, Mourning Cloaks, and some others I don't remember offhand anymore.

4. On the other hand, if poor color intensity is due to poor photography, I could easily have been mislead. :)

5. It's interesting to note that butterflies tend to exhibit bright, attractive colors while moths tend to exhibit patterns and colors geared more toward camouflage. The Tiger Swallowtail in full sunlight is a beauty indeed. The sun brings out the iridescence of the blue and orange markings on the wings. That's one of the things I miss about living out in the country - the endless variety of flora and fauna one encountered on a daily basis. Where I grew up we had fields, woods, swamps, rivers, and lakes all in close proximity. Whether you were into birds, butterflies, amphibians, reptiles, fish, or wildflowers, you could find plenty to engage your interest.

6. Thanks guys! I appreciate the information.