Building a Bridge

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by Peter Luke, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Back to the bridge. Now for building the bridge towers. After drawing the plan template, the wooden bits get cut and glued together.
    [​IMG]

Then when the glue is dry, I dowel all the framework with 2.5 mm (0.1") bamboo skewers. For instance:
    [​IMG]

I used 11 m (36 feet) of the 6 mm (1/4 inch) square wood for making the bridge towers.
    [​IMG]

Fish Catcher Jim, chili and Cturtle says Amen and like this.
  2. At this stage of bridge towers construction the cable pulley wheels were to be considered. Now that the anchoring points were established on the lift-span, and the tower framework constructed, an accurate bracket can be made for aligning the pulley wheels to the lift-span anchoring points.

Unfortunately none of the available pulleys were suitable, so I decided to make my own from metal washers. I needed ten pulleys. The first one didn't turn out too good so now I got eleven. The washers are 'sweat-soldered' together, by sandwiching a piece of soldering wire between the washers and then applying heat to melt the solder to the washers.

[​IMG]

3. Making the pulley brackets.
    [​IMG]

Assembling and installing the bridge-tower pulley system.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The towers are not yet installed. I am just seeing how close the bumper rollers are and if they will work.
    [​IMG]

4. There is also a gangway atop of the tower for servicing the pulley wheels. This too is made from MDF, matchsticks, split bamboo, and fly-screen.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They don't look as good painted as when they were raw.
    [​IMG]

5. Before putting in the road surface of the bridge, there is the matter of first installing the traffic lights and wiring.
    The traffic lights took some experimenting to find the correct approach to drilling the holes, for the lights, without collapsing.
    Bottom right photo shows what the lights will look like. It is not yet installed, because the road base needs to be made first.
    [​IMG]

While making the traffic lights, I realized that the bridge span, once the towers get installed, won't be able to be removed for servicing. No room for it to pass over the pulley brackets. So I decided to replace two (fixed) lateral bumper rollers for removable versions.
    [​IMG]
    Now the span can be removed laterally (side-ways) from the bridge.

Fish Catcher Jim, Cturtle and chili says Amen and like this.
  6. You and the Lord do excellent work my brother from another mother. A very cool project indeed :)

Fish Catcher Jim, Peter Luke and Cturtle says Amen and like this.
  7. Thank you for your 'likes', (and from Cturtle).
    Yes, the Lord does bless me all the time, though I do wonder why. I am sure we all could say that too. That is why I am always grateful for the experience.

Fish Catcher Jim and Cturtle say Amen and like this.
  8. Road base, gutter and footpath are made from Masonite. Holes drilled for railing posts.
    Wiring under bridge has been laid in and routed out and under the tabletop.
    As the road base gets installed so too are the bridge towers and traffic lights.
    This assembly required a lot of faith in Christ and God to have everything fall in place. And it did.
    You have no idea how much in praise for the Lord I was in.
    [​IMG]

Fish Catcher Jim and Cturtle say Amen and like this.
  9. Now for the railings for the road and foot path. Many matchsticks and split bamboo skewers were used. Took a few days to get this part done. The gaps, in the railings, near the traffic lights are for the swing gates (yet to be made and installed).
    [​IMG]
    Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.

Cturtle, AtomicSnowflake and Fish Catcher Jim says Amen and like this.
  10. Took the opportunity to lift the display table onto its side so access the wires underneath it.
    Decided to route all the loose wires towards where the control box will be.

[​IMG]

Pastor Gary and Cturtle say Amen and like this.