Browsers

Are there any browsers people use other than Chrome, Firefox or Safari. Which one is best?
I want to switch to a safe one. I use mac but am finding some of it problematic.

Are there any browsers people use other than Chrome, Firefox or Safari. Which one is best?
I want to switch to a safe one. I use mac but am finding some of it problematic.
Hello Lanolin
I use all three that you mentioned daily. As for safety I would rank the three, like this, from safest to least safest:
1) Firefox
2) Safari
3) Chrome

Of the three, Firefox is the least intrusive and offers the best discriminatory privacy settings of the three.

FYI, currently the major web browsers (based on their global market share) are Chrome (66% of the market), Safari (19%), Edge (4%), and Firefox (3%).

There are other web browsers, but these have smaller market shares and some feel they should be considered untested/unreliable for the average user because most websites are not tested with browsers that have trivial market share and they may not perform well on some websites.

Edge doesn't seem to consistently comply with all website standards well and seems more glitchy. Chrome loads well but often makes you re-enter form fields or lose editing work, and, this is something important, it may be questionable in terms of privacy, tracking and censorship. Safari is fairly good, I like it, but it’s not as good as Firefox in my experience, mainly for the reasons I mentioned at the top.

Additionally I use uBlock Origin to block any unnecessary/intrusive connections. Call me paranoid but I don't trust the hundreds of connections some websites create, without which the site still performs perfectly fine.

I sometimes use brave ( like Robin, above).
While blueskies says is correct about market share, and a smaller user base may be less user tested, browsers with a small market share also browsers are smaller targets if someone is trying to make take advantage of browser specific vulnerabilities.

I rotate my browser usage, one I use for exclusively for banking and stuff that I do not use for surfing.

Hello Lanolin
I use all three that you mentioned daily. As for safety I would rank the three, like this, from safest to least safest:
1) Firefox
2) Safari
3) Chrome

Of the three, Firefox is the least intrusive and offers the best discriminatory privacy settings of the three.

FYI, currently the major web browsers (based on their global market share) are Chrome (66% of the market), Safari (19%), Edge (4%), and Firefox (3%).

There are other web browsers, but these have smaller market shares and some feel they should be considered untested/unreliable for the average user because most websites are not tested with browsers that have trivial market share and they may not perform well on some websites.

Edge doesn't seem to consistently comply with all website standards well and seems more glitchy. Chrome loads well but often makes you re-enter form fields or lose editing work, and, this is something important, it may be questionable in terms of privacy, tracking and censorship. Safari is fairly good, I like it, but it’s not as good as Firefox in my experience, mainly for the reasons I mentioned at the top.
Additionally I use uBlock Origin to block any unnecessary/intrusive connections. Call me paranoid but I don't trust the hundreds of connections some websites create, without which the site still performs perfectly fine.
I sometimes use brave ( like Robin, above).
While blueskies says is correct about market share, and a smaller user base may be less user tested, browsers with a small market share also browsers are smaller targets if someone is trying to make take advantage of browser specific vulnerabilities. I rotate my browser usage, one I use for exclusively for banking and stuff that I do not use for surfing.

Hello Lanolin, Robin, blueskies and Siloam;

Lanolin,
I also use an Apple desktop. I once had an issue with changing my admin and cringed at called their tech support. I was surprised how the tech guy resolved my problem at no charge.

Is anyone familiar with DuckDuckGo? If so, can anyone help me explain what it takes to obtain an email account with them would be appreciated. I tried to go directly to Duck but it was a hassle to get an answer to my email question.

Hey
Tery, I'm the same way when it comes to protecting my personal workstation. We also take the best measures to protect our pc. That's good stewardship!

Siloam, please share why you rotate your user browser? That is interesting and is something I would consider doing. To me it sounds like taking extra steps but it probably only takes a second when you turn on and log onto thy computer.

God bless
you all and thank you for the tips.

Try DuckDuckGo. It's a secure browser that won't permit tracking of any kind.

Hello BibleLover;

I was asking everyone if they know about Duck's email service provided. I tried to create an account, and reached with with Duck but went around in circles. Are you familiar with their email and have any suggestions?

God bless you and thank you, brother.

I use DuckDuckGo on android devices. I haven't been able to find it for windows, although several browsers can use it for searches.

DuckDuckGo will delete browsing data by simply clicking on the fire icon at the top.

I rotate between browsers to limit how much any given browser 'knows' about me, although it may just create another path to snoop.

Clearing the cache is always good idea whatever browser, even though you may have to re-enter some data.

Hello BibleLover;

I was asking everyone if they know about Duck's email service provided. I tried to create an account, and reached with with Duck but went around in circles. Are you familiar with their email and have any suggestions?

God bless you and thank you, brother.
Bob, I don't know anything about Duck's email. I've never tried to use it. Sorry.

Blessings to you and yours, brother.

I use duckduckGo for searching but not used their email.
Safari is best for macs - Chrome started being annoying, also I don't like their logo.

I use Chrome, Edge, Safari and Brave (Brave for a higher level of security and privacy, but most importantly, to block ads on sites that have them).

Like you Lanolin, I both use and like DuckDuckGo as a search engine (I didn't realize that it is a browser too). Edge's Ai Bing search is frustrating because it keeps taking over my search when I don't want it to, so I'm probably going to move away from it (or get rid of Bing, if that's possible).

--Papa Smurf
p.s. - thank you for pointing out the email service at DuckDuckGo bobinfaith. I'm going to check it out, and if I learn anything that I think may be useful, I'll return and post it here.

There are some things that I think need to be understood:

Browser companies, providers of search engines, etc make $$$ off of data they glean from users. They do this by such things as selling information about you, either directly or indirectly. For example, search engines charge fees for placing links higher on results. If you have been looking for something online, you are likely to see a lot of closely related adds. At times this can obscure the results in which you might really be interested.

Browsers carry a lot of information (i.e. where you have been, what you have looked at, what you bought online, your location, etc and often store more in cookies, etc. They often say that they do not share information, but their revenue stream is tied to such activity. You can be assured that they take a wide view of what is fair use.

Went onto the above site and got this message. It was the same for all by browsers. "Your connection isn't private
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from blog.whoisgrace.com (for example, passwords, messages or credit cards)."

So, I went here and did what they said, which was to go into private browsing.

Did that, went into private browsing, tested it by going back to the original site, and everything was fine.
Private browsing is better than regular, but depending on which browser you are using, it can do as little as just not sharing your history.

Turn off cookies along with private browsing can do better, Using a virtual private network (VPN does more), but even there it can be hacked and many sites are slowed to a crawl or refuse to work at all. Nothing will allow your browser to work AND not let some server along the way from seeing any of your activity.

In addition, once a little but is known, companies can (and do) compare that little bit with what may have been disclosed in the past and by cross referencing with other histories, they can get quite a lot of data, using that inreased amount of data they can do the same procedure to increase it more.

(You are using their equipment, they set the rules) TANSTASAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

arrgh now I switched to safari, youtube ads keep coming up and I can't seem to block them Maybe I go back to using chrome. Useless!

I'm going to try Brave this time..must be some way to stop getting stuck with youtube ads. I just want to sing songs without ads interrupting everything at the beginning.

I’ll try to make this browser related. I’m grateful to the Lord for my electronics and do my best to take care of them without upgrading so soon. Instant upgrading costs me too much money.

When we travel I don’t want to lug my laptop so I use an iPad when we travel but I have to admit it feels awkward because I’m used to a full keyboard and customizing sentences or posts.

To make my browser less cluttered and more secure it appears Safari or DuckDuckGo may be the way to go instead of Chrome.

Safari comes with apple its the original default browser. So it probably works the best with macs. Use duckduckgo instead of google for a search engine. You can also have a duck email address, but I haven't tried it and will probably stick with gmail for now.

I don't use the i-tunes or the podcasts though or much of the other apple apps.
Chrome is good if you are casting and not using an apple tv.

Back