BREAKING the 5th Commandment & changing my birth name

How old are you? (just wondering) Did you ever discuss this issue with your parents when they were alive? You can still search your heart in prayer and ask for guidance in this issue...if your parents ever said "no" then I wouldn't change it.

Funny, four years ago I received my Indian Name, Skw'lilapt (Whirlwind) in a ceremony given by the elders of my tribe. It was a great honor, and they called it sacred. "From this day forward," one of my respected elders said outloud in the ceremony, "you'll no longer be known by your white name...when it's your time to move on, the Creator will call you forward by your Indian Name: Skw'lilapt."

In my case, it was a blessing and a great honor - and I had both of my parents' approval to accept the Indian name (they encouraged it, in fact). So I see very little wrong in changing a name - God will know what to call you :)

I used to have an issue with the rarity of my name. I wanted to change it to something I was able to find on those little novelties that had all the names but mine on them. I think you'd be better off to learn to appreciate your name for what it is.

yea, I've definitely never met anyone with the name "NoDoubt" :p

Back