Bible Verses

I tried that several times, an nothing happened. I ended up falling asleep.
Lanolin is quite correct; it's quiet time with God which is most important.
It's advisable not to meditate on the Word when one is tired; focusing on scripture is a good starting point, however when one masters hearing God via careful concentration on scripture, this is when one can clear the mind and be susceptible to God's direct word.

Reactions: Juk
Lanolin is quite correct; it's quiet time with God which is most important.
It's advisable not to meditate on the Word when one is tired; focusing on scripture is a good starting point, however when one masters hearing God via careful concentration on scripture, this is when one can clear the mind and be susceptible to God's direct word.
It's not that I try to hear His Word when I am sleeping, it's that I fall asleep when my eyes are closed for a long time. But one time, God spoke to me through a dream the same night that I tried to listen to His voice. :)

I am so glad to know that God never sleeps! His ears are trained on our voices, eager to hear our praise! It is said and described from somewhere---I think one of the Psalms, in the original language---that God actually leans over the edge of heaven just to hear us! How wonderful a word picture that is!

I am so glad to know that God never sleeps! His ears are trained on our voices, eager to hear our praise! It is said and described from somewhere---I think one of the Psalms, in the original language---that God actually leans over the edge of heaven just to hear us! How wonderful a word picture that is!
What is praise? I always thought that praise as thanking God for what He had done, while worship was thanking God for who He is.

What if the Holy Spirit does not speak to me?
He will. You have to trust him. Listen. Read something, think about it, write down whatever - no matter how odd - that pops into your head. Over time you'll see it was the Holy Spirit guiding you. It's a promise.

I have changed my reading schedule to meditating on a single Bible verse each day. What are some good Bible verses that are useful for meditation? Thanks guys :)
I write my favorite verses on 3 X 5 cards (or smaller if you have good eye sight), and store them in a index box. Will be better if you can categorize it according to topics (e.g encouragement, resist temptation). This way, you can pick one card every day and put in your pocket or purse. Whether you are commuting or taking a stroll in the park, you can read and memorize this one verse. I found this very helpful as we treasure His word constantly. A Jewish colleague one time demonstrated this scripture box he tie to his forehead (part of the Sabbath ritual I believe) in reference to an OT instruction that the Israelite need to keep God's word close to heart. I have memorized quite a few verses. Literally it is our weapon that we can use whatever the situation calls for it.
This is some of my favorite 3x5 card : Joshua 1:7-9
7 “Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. 8 Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. 9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”

Let's do a word study:

Praise
First use:
Genesis 29:35 (KJV)
And she conceived again, and bare a son: and she said, Now will I praise the LORD: therefore she called his name Judah; and left bearing.​

Hebrew: ידה
Transliteration: Yadah
- Definition:
1. to throw, shoot, cast
a. (Qal) to shoot (arrows)
b. (Piel) to cast, cast down, throw down
c. (Hiphil)
1. to give thanks,, laud, praise
2. to confess, confess (the name of God)​
d. (Hithpael)
1. to confess (sin)
2. to give thanks​

Hebrew Letter Meaning:
י - hand, work, deed
ד - door, entrance
ה - window, revelation, grace​

Praise is with the hand, open the door of revelation, and grace. For example when one throws up their hands like a child to the parent.

Worship
First use:
Genesis 22:5 (KJV)
And Abraham said unto his young men, Abide ye here with the ass; and I and the lad will go yonder and worship, and come again to you.​

Hebrew: שׁחה
Transliteration: Shachah
-Definition:
1. to bow down
a. (Qal) to bow down
b. (Hiphil) to depress (fig)
c. (Hithpael)
1. to bow down, prostrate oneself 1c​
d. before superior in homage 1c
e. before God in worship 1c
f. before false gods 1c
g. before angel​
Hebrew Letter Meaning:
שׁ - teeth, consume, destroy
ח - fence, protect, enclose
ה - window, revelation, grace
Note: שׁח means pit, sink

Worship is to bow (consume pride) to protect revelation or grace - to give reverence. To thrown down yourself, hands down to show reverence to the one being worshiped, asking nothing.

@Juk I like your definition :)

I write my favorite verses on 3 X 5 cards (or smaller if you have good eye sight), and store them in a index box. Will be better if you can categorize it according to topics (e.g encouragement, resist temptation). This way, you can pick one card every day and put in your pocket or purse. Whether you are commuting or taking a stroll in the park, you can read and memorize this one verse. I found this very helpful as we treasure His word constantly. A Jewish colleague one time demonstrated this scripture box he tie to his forehead (part of the Sabbath ritual I believe) in reference to an OT instruction that the Israelite need to keep God's word close to heart. I have memorized quite a few verses. Literally it is our weapon that we can use whatever the situation calls for it.
This is some of my favorite 3x5 card : Joshua 1:7-9
7 “Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. 8 Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. 9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”
That's a great idea, but it would take a while to complete.

That's the evil spirit of slumber. When you find yourself with the long blinks, rebuke him in Jesus' Name. Stand up, walk around and reject him.
That shows some true faith. But u think that it would fail if it was not in God's Will for me to talk to Him in that sense at that time.

He will. You have to trust him. Listen. Read something, think about it, write down whatever - no matter how odd - that pops into your head. Over time you'll see it was the Holy Spirit guiding you. It's a promise.

Let's do a word study:

Praise
First use:
Genesis 29:35 (KJV)
And she conceived again, and bare a son: and she said, Now will I praise the LORD: therefore she called his name Judah; and left bearing.​

Hebrew: ידה
Transliteration: Yadah
- Definition:
1. to throw, shoot, cast
a. (Qal) to shoot (arrows)
b. (Piel) to cast, cast down, throw down
c. (Hiphil)
1. to give thanks,, laud, praise
2. to confess, confess (the name of God)​
d. (Hithpael)
1. to confess (sin)
2. to give thanks​

Hebrew Letter Meaning:
י - hand, work, deed
ד - door, entrance
ה - window, revelation, grace​

Praise is with the hand, open the door of revelation, and grace. For example when one throws up their hands like a child to the parent.

Worship
First use:
Genesis 22:5 (KJV)
And Abraham said unto his young men, Abide ye here with the ass; and I and the lad will go yonder and worship, and come again to you.​

Hebrew: שׁחה
Transliteration: Shachah
-Definition:
1. to bow down
a. (Qal) to bow down
b. (Hiphil) to depress (fig)
c. (Hithpael)
1. to bow down, prostrate oneself 1c​
d. before superior in homage 1c
e. before God in worship 1c
f. before false gods 1c
g. before angel​
Hebrew Letter Meaning:
שׁ - teeth, consume, destroy
ח - fence, protect, enclose
ה - window, revelation, grace
Note: שׁח means pit, sink

Worship is to bow (consume pride) to protect revelation or grace - to give reverence. To thrown down yourself, hands down to show reverence to the one being worshiped, asking nothing.

@Juk I like your definition :)
Thanks!

Sounds awesome.

That shows some true faith. But u think that it would fail if it was not in God's Will for me to talk to Him in that sense at that time.
You keep going negative. God died for you, why would He not want to talk to you? That's another evil spirit you need to deal with: the spirit of unbelief. Think good thoughts of your God.

You keep going negative. God died for you, why would He not want to talk to you? That's another evil spirit you need to deal with: the spirit of unbelief. Think good thoughts of your God.
I meant if God did not want to talk to me in an audible voice at that point in time. But I do see what you saying.

I meant if God did not want to talk to me in an audible voice at that point in time. But I do see what you saying.
There has to be faith involved with God, it's what pleases Him, and if you did hear Him audibly, that would remove the element of faith. The closer you get to God the more manifestations you'll have with Him. Some have seen Him, I've only ever seen angels in my mind's eye.

Back