Bible translations revisions.

Very interesting sir - I bookmarked your site. Looks like you are putting a lot of work into your project. It was great finding a listing of all of those Bibles in one place.

My workstation is under "reconstruction" and my printer conked out. As soon as I get back up to speed, I want to make a loose leaf Study Bible with all my notes in it. Undoubtedly, I will be using excerpts from some of the Bibles on your site.

Thank you,

Larry II

Wow, great to hear Jasher :D
It was designed for such purpose :p

Sorry to hear about your lil setback....Please let us know how you get on with your studies when they are up and running yea?

Dear Sylvanus,
I agree that there are a lot of translation problems in the scriptures – you have to research everything. For example, here is something that I ran into a week ago...

Esther 5:14 (KJV)
Then said Zeresh his wife and all his friends unto him, Let a gallows be made of fifty cubits high, and to morrow speak thou unto the king that Mordecai may be hanged thereon: then go thou in merrily with the king unto the banquet. And the thing pleased Haman; and he caused the gallows to be made.

Esther 7:9-10 (KJV)
And Harbonah, one of the chamberlains, said before the king, Behold also, the gallows fifty cubits high, which Haman had made for Mordecai, who had spoken good for the king, standeth in the house of Haman. Then the king said, Hang him thereon. [10] So they hanged Haman on the gallows that he had prepared for Mordecai. Then was the king's wrath pacified.

It makes it sound to us in the 21st century that he was hanged on a gallows by a rope - like we are accustomed to thinking. Gallows can be translated “tree” and in the LXX the Greek word used is Xylon or tree. It looks like this is a Crucifixion as this was a common practice in that culture. Hung meant crucified.

Why would one need a gallows 50 cubits high? - that's about 75 feet. The wife of Haman was fanticizing about what could be done to Mordecai - whom Haman hated. The reason for the great height was probably because of visability – the condemned could be seen from a further distance. I suspect that the building part was an access scaffold. Crucifixion was practiced in Persia, but was not a Jewish practice as they had the Law of God.

I got on this subject when researching the cross of Jesus, which I think was also a tree. The Bible records in at least 7 places that it was a tree. But this is mostly trivia not heavy substance in the Canon. Just details.

Larry II

Yes, you're right, thank you Larry II :D

I found that the original word, here used a gallow, is used in the KJV 107 times as 'wood', 167 times as 'tree', 23 times as 'timber', and some misc., so there, it is true, a modification would be needed, because the translator has over-used his own judgement in interpretation.

Interestingly, the TNIV in question uses the word 'pole', which I think is more correct.

Also, in 7:9, in the KJV, the king say 'hang him!', but in the TNIV, he says: 'Impale him'. The same word is used in Job 26:7. The KJV uses 'hang' but the TNIV uses 'suspend'.......
mmmmmmmm
Looks like a suggestion to me :D
Go on..... I give you the Honor. Hee Hee hee.

Well spotted my friend :p

Today's New International Version

I've never been a big fan of NIV, so I guess I'd have a natural reluctance towards TNIV. I read a little of it, at least enough to decide I didn't like the way they translated certain scriptures.

As to where I read about it, for one thing I did a little research on it and the site I listed on the other thread about bible translations also had a few things to say about it.

Maybe I'm biased but I will stick with the few translations I have and only when I study do I ever go into the original language or other versions.

Yes, you're right, thank you Larry II :D

I found that the original word, here used a gallow, is used in the KJV 107 times as 'wood', 167 times as 'tree', 23 times as 'timber', and some misc., so there, it is true, a modification would be needed, because the translator has over-used his own judgement in interpretation.

Interestingly, the TNIV in question uses the word 'pole', which I think is more correct.

Also, in 7:9, in the KJV, the king say 'hang him!', but in the TNIV, he says: 'Impale him'. The same word is used in Job 26:7. The KJV uses 'hang' but the TNIV uses 'suspend'.......
mmmmmmmm
Looks like a suggestion to me :D
Go on..... I give you the Honor. Hee Hee hee.

Well spotted my friend :p

Thank you Sylvanus,
I think the answer is in the history of that period of Persian crucifixion practice - that's where I will go next and see what I can find out.

Back