Best version to read?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This would be one example:
Joh 1:1

(ACV) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(ALT) In the beginning was the Word [or, the Expression of [divine] Logic], and the Word was with [or, in communion with] God, and the Word was God [or, was as to His essence God].

(AUV-NT) The Word [already] existed in the beginning [of time]. [Note: This is a reference to the preexistence of Jesus. See verse 14]. And the Word was with God and the Word was [what] God [was].

(ASV) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(BBE) From the first he was the Word, and the Word was in relation with God and was God.

(Bishops) In the begynnyng was the worde, & the worde was with God: and that worde was God.

(CEV) In the beginning was the one who is called the Word. The Word was with God and was truly God.

(CENT) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(Complete Apostles' Bible) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(Darby) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(DRB) In the beginning was the Word: and the Word was with God: and the Word was God.

(EMTV) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(ESV) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(Geneva) In the beginning was that Word, and that Word was with God, and that Word was God.

(GNB) In the beginning the Word already existed; the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(GNT) ᾿Εν ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ Λόγος, καὶ ὁ Λόγος ἦν πρὸς τὸν Θεόν, καὶ Θεὸς ἦν ὁ Λόγος.

(GNT-BYZ+) ενG1722 PREP αρχηG746 N-DSF ηνG1510 V-IAI-3S οG3588 T-NSM λογοςG3056 N-NSM καιG2532 CONJ οG3588 T-NSM λογοςG3056 N-NSM ηνG1510 V-IAI-3S προςG4314 PREP τονG3588 T-ASM θεονG2316 N-ASM καιG2532 CONJ θεοςG2316 N-NSM ηνG1510 V-IAI-3S οG3588 T-NSM λογοςG3056 N-NSM

(GNT-TR+) ενG1722 PREP αρχηG746 N-DSF ηνG1510 V-IAI-3S οG3588 T-NSM λογοςG3056 N-NSM καιG2532 CONJ οG3588 T-NSM λογοςG3056 N-NSM ηνG1510 V-IAI-3S προςG4314 PREP τονG3588 T-ASM θεονG2316 N-ASM καιG2532 CONJ θεοςG2316 N-NSM ηνG1510 V-IAI-3S οG3588 T-NSM λογοςG3056 N-NSM

(GNT-WH+) ενG1722 PREP αρχηG746 N-DSF ηνG1510 V-IAI-3S οG3588 T-NSM λογοςG3056 N-NSM καιG2532 CONJ οG3588 T-NSM λογοςG3056 N-NSM ηνG1510 V-IAI-3S προςG4314 PREP τονG3588 T-ASM θεονG2316 N-ASM καιG2532 CONJ θεοςG2316 N-NSM ηνG1510 V-IAI-3S οG3588 T-NSM λογοςG3056 N-NSM

(GSB) Im Anfang war das Wort, und das Wort war bei Gott, und das Wort war Gott.

(GW) In the beginning the Word already existed. The Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(HNT) בראשית היה הדבר והדבר היה את האלהים ואלהים היה הדבר׃

(HOT)

(HOT+)

(ICE) Í upphafi var Orðið, og Orðið var hjá Guði, og Orðið var Guð.

(ISV) In the beginning, the Word existed. The Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(JPS)

(KJ2000) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(KJVCNT) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(KJV+TVM) In1722 the beginning746 was2258 [5713] the Word3056, and2532 the Word3056 was2258 [5713] with4314 God2316, and2532 the Word3056 was2258 [5713] God2316.

(KJV+) InG1722 the beginningG746 wasG2258 theG3588 Word,G3056 andG2532 theG3588 WordG3056 wasG2258 withG4314 God,G2316 andG2532 theG3588 WordG3056 wasG2258 God.G2316

(KJV-1611) In the beginning was the Word, & the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(KJVA) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(KJVR) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(LITV) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(LONT) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(MKJV) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(Murdock) In the beginning, was the Word; and the Word was with God; and the Word was God.

(NET) The Prologue to the Gospel

In the beginning1 was the Word, and the Word was with God,2 and the Word was fully God.3

(Rev. Webster+) In1722 the beginning746 was2258 [5713] the Word3056, and2532 the Word3056 was2258 [5713] with4314 God2316, and2532 the Word3056 was2258 [5713] God2316.

(RYLT-NT) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God;

(RV) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(TRC) In the beginning was that(the) word, and that(the) word was with god: and god was that word.(and the word was God.)

(The Scriptures '98+) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with Elohim, and the Word was Elohim.

(TCNT) In the Beginning the Word was; and the Word was with God; and the Word was God.

(Tyndale) In the beginnynge was the worde and the worde was with God: and the worde was God.

(UPDV) In the beginning was the Speech, and the Speech was with God, and the Speech was God.

(Vulgate) in principio erat Verbum et Verbum erat apud Deum et Deus erat Verbum

(Webster) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(WmsNT) In the beginning the Word existed; and the Word was face to face with God; yea, the Word was God Himself.

(WNT) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(WORNT) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(WTNT) ¶ In the beginning was that word, and that word was with god: and god was that word.

(WycliffeNT) In the bigynnyng was the word, and the word was at God, and God was the word.

(YLT) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God;

It also contains dozens of commentaries, dictionaries and tons more and the best thing is it is a snap to use.

You forgot the Pig Latin translation.

John 1:1 In-ay e-thay eginning-bay as-way e-thay Ord-way, and-ay e- thay Ord-way as-way ith-way Od-gay, and-ay e-thay Ord-way as- way Od-gay.

I prefer to use KJV version for studies and pondering scripture a little more deeply. I think the paraphrases are good for new believers but they can sometimes lose the original meaning of the scripture. I also like the Amplified, I have found this version good for preparing group studies and sermons. :)

i think i'll just read my Bible. my head is spinning after reading all this. i don't think i have the brains to compare and all this. i'll just let the H.S. take care of the truth. you guys can set me straight if i have a question. ok? going to rest my brain now.

Cross comparing is for clarification only and not for regular reading or studying.:)

i think i'll just read my Bible. my head is spinning after reading all this. i don't think i have the brains to compare and all this. i'll just let the H.S. take care of the truth. you guys can set me straight if i have a question. ok? going to rest my brain now.

You just need a really good brain fart to clear your mind. :D:p

SS, I know that feeling. It all obsorbes in time though. I think you can take in more than you might think.

I want to pick up an amplified bible soon. I don't even have my own I use the online one.

You forgot the Pig Latin translation.
John 1:1 In-ay e-thay eginning-bay as-way e-thay Ord-way, and-ay e- thay Ord-way as-way ith-way Od-gay, and-ay e-thay Ord-way as- way Od-gay.

LOL, of course! The standard by which all other translations are judged. I figured that was common knowledge.

I think whatever fits your personal tastes, likes, and dislikes.

I do read the King James Version from time to time. I mostly do New Living Translation just for the simplicity, I haven't tried New King James Version yet...I want to.

The next Bible I may purchase is the Greek or Hebrew Bible with the English text also, just to see how much different it its. :)

My grandmother likes the Application Study Bibles, she just got a New International Version Study Bible because another she had gotten wasn't the version she preferred. :)

What is the best version of The Bible to read? I've noticed some comments lately online that say the NIV which i listen to online should be avoided.

What do you recommend?

I really don't like the NIV because of a few strange translationed verses I am aware of.

I like to have KJV or NKJV, and the NLT.

This would be one example:
Joh 1:1

(ACV) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(ALT) In the beginning was the Word [or, the Expression of [divine] Logic], and the Word was with [or, in communion with] God, and the Word was God [or, was as to His essence God].

(AUV-NT) The Word [already] existed in the beginning [of time]. [Note: This is a reference to the preexistence of Jesus. See verse 14]. And the Word was with God and the Word was [what] God [was].

(ASV) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(BBE) From the first he was the Word, and the Word was in relation with God and was God.

(Bishops) In the begynnyng was the worde, & the worde was with God: and that worde was God.

(CEV) In the beginning was the one who is called the Word. The Word was with God and was truly God.

(CENT) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(Complete Apostles' Bible) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(Darby) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(DRB) In the beginning was the Word: and the Word was with God: and the Word was God.

(EMTV) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(ESV) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(Geneva) In the beginning was that Word, and that Word was with God, and that Word was God.

(GNB) In the beginning the Word already existed; the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(GNT) ᾿Εν ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ Λόγος, καὶ ὁ Λόγος ἦν πρὸς τὸν Θεόν, καὶ Θεὸς ἦν ὁ Λόγος.

(GNT-BYZ+) ενG1722 PREP αρχηG746 N-DSF ηνG1510 V-IAI-3S οG3588 T-NSM λογοςG3056 N-NSM καιG2532 CONJ οG3588 T-NSM λογοςG3056 N-NSM ηνG1510 V-IAI-3S προςG4314 PREP τονG3588 T-ASM θεονG2316 N-ASM καιG2532 CONJ θεοςG2316 N-NSM ηνG1510 V-IAI-3S οG3588 T-NSM λογοςG3056 N-NSM

(GNT-TR+) ενG1722 PREP αρχηG746 N-DSF ηνG1510 V-IAI-3S οG3588 T-NSM λογοςG3056 N-NSM καιG2532 CONJ οG3588 T-NSM λογοςG3056 N-NSM ηνG1510 V-IAI-3S προςG4314 PREP τονG3588 T-ASM θεονG2316 N-ASM καιG2532 CONJ θεοςG2316 N-NSM ηνG1510 V-IAI-3S οG3588 T-NSM λογοςG3056 N-NSM

(GNT-WH+) ενG1722 PREP αρχηG746 N-DSF ηνG1510 V-IAI-3S οG3588 T-NSM λογοςG3056 N-NSM καιG2532 CONJ οG3588 T-NSM λογοςG3056 N-NSM ηνG1510 V-IAI-3S προςG4314 PREP τονG3588 T-ASM θεονG2316 N-ASM καιG2532 CONJ θεοςG2316 N-NSM ηνG1510 V-IAI-3S οG3588 T-NSM λογοςG3056 N-NSM

(GSB) Im Anfang war das Wort, und das Wort war bei Gott, und das Wort war Gott.

(GW) In the beginning the Word already existed. The Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(HNT) בראשית היה הדבר והדבר היה את האלהים ואלהים היה הדבר׃

(HOT)

(HOT+)

(ICE) Í upphafi var Orðið, og Orðið var hjá Guði, og Orðið var Guð.

(ISV) In the beginning, the Word existed. The Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(JPS)

(KJ2000) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(KJVCNT) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(KJV+TVM) In1722 the beginning746 was2258 [5713] the Word3056, and2532 the Word3056 was2258 [5713] with4314 God2316, and2532 the Word3056 was2258 [5713] God2316.

(KJV+) InG1722 the beginningG746 wasG2258 theG3588 Word,G3056 andG2532 theG3588 WordG3056 wasG2258 withG4314 God,G2316 andG2532 theG3588 WordG3056 wasG2258 God.G2316

(KJV-1611) In the beginning was the Word, & the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(KJVA) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(KJVR) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(LITV) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(LONT) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(MKJV) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(Murdock) In the beginning, was the Word; and the Word was with God; and the Word was God.

(NET) The Prologue to the Gospel

In the beginning1 was the Word, and the Word was with God,2 and the Word was fully God.3

(Rev. Webster+) In1722 the beginning746 was2258 [5713] the Word3056, and2532 the Word3056 was2258 [5713] with4314 God2316, and2532 the Word3056 was2258 [5713] God2316.

(RYLT-NT) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God;

(RV) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(TRC) In the beginning was that(the) word, and that(the) word was with god: and god was that word.(and the word was God.)

(The Scriptures '98+) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with Elohim, and the Word was Elohim.

(TCNT) In the Beginning the Word was; and the Word was with God; and the Word was God.

(Tyndale) In the beginnynge was the worde and the worde was with God: and the worde was God.

(UPDV) In the beginning was the Speech, and the Speech was with God, and the Speech was God.

(Vulgate) in principio erat Verbum et Verbum erat apud Deum et Deus erat Verbum

(Webster) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(WmsNT) In the beginning the Word existed; and the Word was face to face with God; yea, the Word was God Himself.

(WNT) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(WORNT) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(WTNT) ¶ In the beginning was that word, and that word was with god: and god was that word.

(WycliffeNT) In the bigynnyng was the word, and the word was at God, and God was the word.

(YLT) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God;

Now admit it Larry - you simply used the compare button in E-Sword didn't you? Here I have been giving you credit for all the work in assembling all this data. Sheeessh.

BTW happy birthday bud.

Larry II

Thanks Larry it is coming up soon. And I do admit it I was demonstrating that very feature. If that was my typing you would have seen lots of typos!:p

You just need a really good brain fart to clear your mind. :D:p

No, but thanx, Who! I've cleaned my share of little farts today, all in a 10-hr. period. But, it's better than cleaning up old farts! Hee.hee. :p

(If ya'll don't know, I work with infants in a daycare center, but before that, I worked as a CNA and cleaned up the elderly.) No harm intended :p

I mostly use the New International Version but I also have a New King James Version I like to refer to at times.

There are major contradictions in any bible that introduces the spurious works of the Apocrypha.

The RSV-CE is a good one that I use. All 72 books included.

Christ is risen. Glorify Him!
Andrew

Indeed He is Risen.

The RSV-CE is actually the one that I wanted but I mistakenly wrote NRSV on my Christmas list. (By the way, yes I am 30 years old and I still give my mom my Christmas list ;)) Anyhow, she bought it for me this past Christmas, and it took me awhile to realize my mistake. The NRSV has inclusive language, which...well, you don't even want to get me started on that nonsense...

But since it was a gift from my mom...I do read it. Despite the IL, it's my favorite translation. I hope to get the RSV or RSV-CE someday soon.
I keep the NAB because I like the extensive footnotes and cross-references and because it's what they use at mass. But the translation itself is clunky and doesn't flow as well, IMO.

On the other end of the spectrum, I really appreciate the poetic beauty of the KJV. I use the NKJV more, though, because I have it on hand.

For reading I use the NIV but I do have a copy of the KJV and NLT to compare notes. I like looking at multiple translations because, IMO, certain translations give a passage more clarity. I would suggest a parallel Bible between the NIV and KJV. The KJV is beautiful but for me at least, a little hard to read (as was Shakespearean literature in High School! :) ). So for reading purposes, I like the NIV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back