1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Believer And Non Believer Marriage

Discussion in 'Marriage and Relationships' started by MaryseBlossom, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Have anyone of you experienced a relationship with an atheist or someone having different beliefs than you?

If so, how did you deal with this?
  2. Yes

Not very well.

I didn't listen to Christ when I first got saved, disobeyed, rebelled, backslid and now I am reaping what I have sown without the full comfort, joy and blessings the Lord wants to give me but can't because He is HOLY and removed from sin. (The worst part is knowing all the things I am missing.)

It is my hope to try and help other people not fall into the same trap as I have in matters of the heart....

Most will not listen because most choose to follow their own path rather than having faith in God's ways. God was rejected in the beginning, and will be rejected until His return. But some will listen-and those who heed God's Words (Not my own) will be blessed.

I am but a your humble messenger Lord. Forgive me for failing you.
  3. I've had to counsel many broken women who married an unbeliever.
    Sooner or later the marriage explodes or implodes.
  4. I believe if you try to shovel your beliefs in the throat of your partner, there is no chance he/she will accept it.

Rusty, What was the main reason why the couple would break up?
  5. I'm not suggesting "shoveling" at all.

The problem is a radically different world view as well as spiritual view. And I'm not talking of "morals and ethics".

All the break ups I've seen are over control: Who has the power: husband, wife or God?
  6. The good answer is God. Of course.

My fiancé is not there to tell me what faith I should have. I gave to respect his choice as well.
  7. That's fine for now, you may think...But take it from an old hand: Marriage to an unbeliever is not good.
    Marriage is nothing like engagements.

Are you aware of the Bible stories, the Bible warnings, the Bible prohibitions against this?
    Mercedes Benz E Class likes this.
  8. Yes, that is why I am subjective on this topic : )

I deliberately, intentionally choose a not-yet Christian for a wife….
    Christ showed His love to us when we are not-yet a Christian…

Although I chose for a wife who had the quality Paul mentioned: respect, obedience to a husband.
    She followed me to church, on what I believe in, and thanks be to God, she was found as well : )

Ephesians 5

21 Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.

22 Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.
    25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her26 to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, 27 and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28 In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29 After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church— 30 for we are members of his body. 31 “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.”[c] 32 This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church. 33 However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband
  9. #9 aha, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
    Although, I think it easier for a man to marry a non-Christian….
    While it will not be easier for a woman to marry a non-Christian.,,

Why: love is encompassing: while obey is a choice.

Husband is to love the wife while wife is to obey the husband.

Love can be shown to Christian and non-Christian alike.
    While obey is to be given to a Christian value but not to a non-Christian value.

It is a good thing, that you posted in another thread that your love for God is bigger.

I pray that he will be found….. the lost is closer to the Good Shepherd : )
  10. Thank you for all of you and what you shared.

I agree that being a women and being the one having faith is more difficult.

Maybe when he will see that I am becoming a better person, he will open his eyes more.

I pray that one day he will trust my faith as much as I trust his love.

We have had long discussion about our relationship. He said that at the end he felt more reassured about what I believe in. He thoughts was going into this faith mindlessly.

His only experience with people who have faith is not that great.
  11. #12 Brother_Mike_V, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
    It's not about us being 'better people', though this is a temporal goal-it is about Christ being seen in & through us. Marriage is all about the relationship to God; an earthly spouse is a bonus for the here and now. Marriage is sacred to God because first we are married to God as Christians. When we go outside of Christianity as Christians-we commit adultery against God.
    Jasmine888 likes this.
  12. I appreciate you sharing all this. Although its not all Christians that believe the same thing. It might sound bad to you, but its a reality.

Bless you
  13. I agree completely; and that is exactly why there are 'schisms in the Body of Christ'; the Bible tells us to be of "one accord" in our doctrine. But the Church has failed to do this for nearly 2000 years. And it's only gotten exponentially worse since Christ ascended into heaven.

We have gotten so far away from the God-no one can agree on the message that is right in from of our faces: "LOVE" We are commanded to LOVE in all circumstances and ALL people. Even the ones we don't want too. 'Love" is not a feeling-it is an act of the will. We are called to LOVE God first which means we obey and follow in His ways.

Matthew 22:
    36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 This is the first and great commandment.

39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Jesus Said it AND He DID it!

13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
  14. That's it. Love is the only way. We are expected to love God than all others. And that's what I aim to do.

We agree on that Mike.
  15. Genesis 26:5
    4 And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed;
    5 Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

John 14:
    15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
    21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

John 15:
    10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.
  16. Hey Maryse,

My first girlfriend was not a Christian, and we mutually agreed to end our relationship because our priorities were so different. It was still hard to do. I wanted to be able to prioritise God's work in my life, which meant committing time and resources to ministry. My girlfriend was very supportive and understanding of me, and if we married, I think she would have continued to be supportive, but it would have been a distant support. But what I really wanted was a wife who wanted to prioritise God's work as well, so we could minister alongside one another.

Marriage is incredibly rewarding, but also incredibly difficult. Marrying someone I couldn't even share my most significant experiences with was not a path I wanted to take. This is similar to the ideas conveyed in 2 Corinthians 6:14. My wife is a woman of strong faith and conviction, and because of my first relationship, I daily take time to remember the significance of that, and the difference it makes in my life.

My parents, alternatively, were married before either of them were Christians. My mother became a Christian first, and my father was saved through her influence, which seems to be in line with what is taught in 1 Corinthians 7:12-16. Although, there is certainly not unanimous agreement about the meaning of this passage, and I have to say that I'm not 100% confident about the meaning of everything in it. Other people on the forums may have studied that passage more deeply than I have, and can offer better insights. It does seem to be for people who are already married, though, and not necessarily as significant for people who are in dating relationships.
  17. Well we are not dating but engaged.and I came back to christianity only 2 weeks ago and have been engaged since march.

So if I understand this excerpt, I'm to stay with him since we are engaged.
  18. I think the passage in 1 Corinthians is specifically for married people. When I was engaged, I understood it as a time when my fiancee and I were significantly committed to each other, but hadn't yet made a lifelong commitment to stay together, so either of us would still have been free to end the relationship at any time if we chose. How do you understand engagement?
    Mercedes Benz E Class likes this.
  19. I should also add that I'm particularly empathetic to your situation. I also made a more significant commitment to God while I was engaged to the girlfriend I mentioned, so I can understand some of the complications you are experiencing.
    Mercedes Benz E Class and MaryseBlossom say Amen and like this.