Becoming Slaves to Righteousness

Becoming Slaves to Righteousness

Romans 6:15

"What then? Shall we sin because we are not under the law but under grace? By no means!"

Slave [sleyv]
-noun
1. a person who is the property of and wholly subject to another; a bond servant.

Becoming a slave of something or someone is usually not seen as a good thing. Rarely have I heard conversations of people wanting to become a slave or a bond servant, which is completely understandable. There is nothing appealing about being under the complete control of someone or something, unless you are a slave to the Lord. The catch is that while nobody really wants to be a slave we all end up being one. Whether our master is money, sex, another person, drugs, our own flesh, or God we are all slaves. As it's explained in Romans chapter 6, a person can either be a slave to righteousness or a slave to sin, but certainly not both. How can a person serve Christ and Satan?

We cannot allow ourselves to be fooled by thinking that since we are forgiven our transgressions that it's an excuse to do as we please. We are called to be slaves of righteousness which entails being obedient to God and not sin. How can we be slaves to God, but at the same time are not obeying Him? A slave is reverent and under the complete control of his master. Personally, I'm amazed and thankful that God would even grant me the opportunity to serve Him and have any kind of relationship with Him. Without this, I would automatically be a slave to sin and destined for eternal death.

I would rather enjoy my freedom as a son but I get your point. We are to walk the Masters way and bring honor to His Name.
I am reminded of this verse:

Gal 4:1 Now I say, That the heir, as long as he is a child, differeth nothing from a servant, though he be lord of all;
Gal 4:2 But is under tutors and governors until the time appointed of the father.

Eph 4:13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
Eph 4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
Eph 4:15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

It would seem as we ( especailly me) all have some growing to do!

Romans 6:17
But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you wholeheartedly obeyed the form of teaching to which you were entrusted.

Romans 6:18
You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

Romans 6:19
I put this in human terms because you are weak in your natural selves. Just as you used to offer the parts of your body in slavery to impurity and to ever-increasing wickedness, so now offer them in slavery to righteousness leading to holiness.

Romans 6:20
When you were slaves to sin, you were free from the control of righteousness.

Romans 6:22
But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life.

Romans 7:14
We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin.

I totally get what you are trying to say about slavery but to me I was a slave to sin and now been set free so carry no slave bondage any more.

I like to say that my love of Christ weighs against the existance of slavery if that makes sense .

While we are His and are bought with a price the Master is pleased when we serve joyfully and with a heart of love- both are applicable.

Good points! I see what both of you are saying, but unless there's something I'm not seeing I have to stick to believers being slaves to righteousness. If there is something I'm not seeing please enlighten me. My understanding is that yes, we have the freedom to choose who we will will serve , but ultimately we will serve sin or Christ. Whether we say slave or servant, bondslave or bondservant they pretty much mean the same thing. I find honor in being a slave or servant to God. I want to be used by Him and subject to Him wholly because if left up to me I would do more harm than good. Romans 6:18-19

Good points! I see what both of you are saying, but unless there's something I'm not seeing I have to stick to believers being slaves to righteousness. If there is something I'm not seeing please enlighten me. My understanding is that yes, we have the freedom to choose who we will will serve , but ultimately we will serve sin or Christ. Whether we say slave or servant, bondslave or bondservant they pretty much mean the same thing. I find honor in being a slave or servant to God. I want to be used by Him and subject to Him wholly because if left up to me I would do more harm than good. Romans 6:18-19
Agreed !

I guess what I was trying to say was I don't consider it slavery to do the things I love, ie- walking with the Master.

Jesus Christ the Son of the Living God, Messiah, Lord, King of kings, Lord of Lords- you know that guy!:D

i have little money but lots of faith,honest..yes.truth..yes.faithful...yes.not being a liar...yes.not being a thief...yes.being a slave to good ...no........wanting to be good ....yes.people who talk rubbish about faith......yes it does hurt i.the us thinks it,s the promised land,sorry thats rubbish.there arny might think there mind devices will work,but not aggainst Gods men.

What a shock!!! You seem to be so perfect Dusty.

Whatever gave you that impression. No I am not perfect and was responding to brother Larry when he said we all have growing to do and that is my sentiments exactly that I have a lot of growing to do in my spiritual life . I am learning so much here from this forum. I am sorry if you misinterpreted my statement..... It must be the Canadian accent.... eh ?

Blessing to you Jasher and I am enjoying your posts as well.

Thanks believe gordon... I guess I would call myself a servant of the Lord just because to me slave seems like such a strong word but I thoroughly understand what you are saying.

1 Peter 2:16:
Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as servants of God.

I don't only call Jesus my Lord and Saviour, King of Kings and Lord of Lords, but I also call Him my Master. If He is my Master, then I must be His servant. It's not easy, but each day I strive to lead a life of obedience to my Master.
I hope it reads the way I intended for it to come out. My English needs a lot of improving.
God bless you all.

Back