1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Christian's - What's Your Perception On Different Marriage Relationships

Discussion in 'Marriage and Relationships' started by Courtney, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Hi, I'm writing an essay for Study of Religion and I was wondering if it was possible for the following questions to be answered in order to fulfil an adequate understanding of the influence of the bible upon Christian adherents.

How does the Bible influence your views on the following types of marriage:
    Conventional Marriage
    Homosexual Marriage
    Inter-racial Marriage
    Age-differing Marriage

Has your views changed towards the types of marriage listed above prior or post studying the Bible? Why or why not?

How do you respond to these diverse structural marriages in contradict to your sacred text?
    Can you elaborate on the way you perceive the people involved in these types of commitments in association to the Bible?

Do you believe that the people engaged in a relationship status of homosexual inter-racial or age-differing marriage is committing a sin? Why or why not?

Are there certain scriptures which you follow by or has an effect on your thoughts and actions towards the diverse options of marriage?

Knowing that in the bible Abraham and Joseph were said to be older then both Sarah and Mary, how do you respond to age-differing marriages when studying the bible? In everyday life? Why?

What do you contemplate when you read the following excerpts from scripture and why?
    - Deuteronomy 7:3-4 “Do not intermarry with them. Do not give your daughters to their sons or take their daughters for your sons, for they will turn your children away from following me to serve other gods, and the Lord’s anger will burn against you and will quickly destroy you"
    - Leviticus 20:13 “If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.”

2. That's a lot of territory to cover in an essay. Although the latter part of your post focuses narrowly on two Scriptures, which I don't think will give you an "adequate understanding" of the influence of the Bible on Christian adherents. I think you need to narrow the scope and sharpen the focus of your essay.

3. Why don't you attempt to answer the questions first and let us respond to that, instead of getting us to write the essay for you.......

4. OK then:
    How does the Bible influence your views on the following types of marriage:
    Conventional Marriage :The Bible defines marriage so in terms of influence, I'd say it has established a framework in which I can live as a married person.

Homosexual Marriage: There is not and realistically never can be such a thing. Sure there will be same gender couples living in a relationship with each other, but they can never attain marriage. You must be familiar with an electrical extension power lead? Try forming a marriage between two such leads using the two female sockets together or the two male plugs together. It never will work, You can join them only by plugging the male end into the female end...that is it, simple..not rocket science.

Inter-racial Marriage: A little while after Noah and his family had left the Ark there was drawn up what is called 'the table of nations.' (I recommend you read Genesis chapters 10 and 11) The purpose of this was to eventually separate out a nation (the Hebrews) which was specifically to carry the covenants and the laws of Yahweh. Today, we have no need other than cultural reasons to avoid inter racial marriage.

Age-differing Marriage: Again this is more a cultural issue that a religious one. Being an Ozzie, born and bred, I feel for a young girl being forced or expected to marry an older man out of duty to family or religion.

What do you contemplate when you read the following excerpts from scripture and why?
    - Deuteronomy 7:3-4 “Do not intermarry with them. Do not give your daughters to their sons or take their daughters for your sons, for they will turn your children away from following me to serve other gods, and the Lord’s anger will burn against you and will quickly destroy you"
    Courtney, you need to read verses 1 thru 6 here. As you do, you will see the idea behind the 'table of nations' coming into play. Inter-marriage was not so much an inter-racial concern as it was/is a conflict of religious custom and requirement. For example a Christian and a Buddhist would not make a good mix. But then neither would an atheist be a good mix with any type of theist.

- Leviticus 20:13 “If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.”
    Interesting, but again I recommend that you read from verse 7 thru to v24 as a minimum. As you do, you will see again a pattern for the purifying of the nation with whom Yahweh (the Lord God) is dealing. Many want to just dwell on the juicy bits about killing the baddies all over the place, but I am pointing you to the real purpose behind these matters.
    I realize I have not answered as you requested, however your essay needs to be your own work based on research which you are doing. I trust your essay will do well for you and if you would like any additional help. please feel free ask.

5. Calvin I agree with everything you said, hit all the nails on their heads, except..
    I'm an Aussie Christian and my wife is Buddhist as is 97% of the population over here. I understand where you are coming from with regard to some people being tempted away from Jesus and His way,but with a mutual respect for each others belief system and love it CAN work. Not all the time but it can. My wife is currently reading a Thai Bible (NT only at this stage) because she wants to know how my head works lol....next step get her to come to church with me. Rome / 1 day, you get the idea. Similarly her uncle is an abbot at the local temple, and we have had some great discussions about Jesus and what he means to anyone willing to let him into their heart.
    Sorry i derailed your thread at the end there Courtney, good luck with your essay btw.
    Blessings

6. G'day Paul, well, I can thank the Lord that my wife is a fellow Christian. We can share things of Christ, and there is /was never any conflict or tension over education of children. We were never asked "why do you believe in Jesus daddy, why don't you believe in Jesus mummy? If you and your wife can make things work in harmony then that is good. But I do not think it would be a recommended partnership strategy. Nor, given the number of Christian marriages that go Ftzzzz, is there any reason to hope for more success with mixed faith marriages....as a general rule.

7. G'day Calvin, time will tell I guess. Hopefully Thayanee will do more than just read for understanding.
    I think part of the reason that mixed faith marriage works more often in SE Asian culture is that the people aren't pre-programmed to despise other doctrines or theologies as we were discussing in the other thread. It'll make life a lot better when we all go home......anyway..
    Where from Oz are you? I'm ex Perth.

8. God fearing is better then un-Godly no doubt but unless we are saved and new creations we simply cannot get 'trustable' victory over our flesh. Jesus says we either love or hate Him, we cannot be in the middle for long on that. I wish you the best and pray she converts soon Paul.

9. I agree there King J, she's slowly grasping it but after being Buddhist since birth, she finds it difficult sometimes. Also part of Thai nature is a short attention span if it is something they don't understand or isn't something the King of Thailand does lol, so at the moment is the softly softly approach. I must admit she reads every day though so I think she's coming around.
    Blessings

10. Paul, if you go to my profile page and click on the info tag, all will be revealed.