Atheist Richard Dawkins On Babies With Ds

I was raised Catholic, and Catholics generally speaking don't use that expression. I strive to be saved, and I hope to be saved, but I don't pronounce myself saved now because I believe that is what God will do after I die. I would align myself more with Catholics, Lutherans, Episcopalians, etc. than with the Baptists, etc. who say "saved".
With my actions and not with my words.

If we are not saved as sinners before we die (all sins forgiven, past, present, future), there was no point in God sending His one and only son to die for us, it's that simple.

..."but not of the "saved " verity
I am not condeeming, I am asking. I have never heard the comment you made........"but not of the "saved " verity".

Would you care to explain???
Of course. I'm not a Baptist, Evangelical, Pentecostal, Fundamentalist styled Christian, all of whom use the expression "saved" and "born again".

If we are not saved as sinners before we die (all sins forgiven, past, present, future), there was no point in God sending His one and only son to die for us, it's that simple.
100 years ago there was no such thing as a "born again Christian". It is new terminology. I was technically "born again" at the time of my baptism as a baby, if you prefer to think of it that way, but I am uncomfortable calling myself "saved" when I haven't died yet. This is hardly uncommon.

But I'm Catholic and I'd considered myself born again.
Yes, as I just explained we see it as something that happens at the time of our baptism, but it's not usual to see most Catholics calling themselves Born Again Christians, or would you disagree? It's certainly not something I see where I live.

Born again Christianity is not the only style of Christianity.
I beg to differ.

Jesus' own words:

John 3 (NLT)
3 There was a man named Nicodemus, a Jewish religious leader who was a Pharisee. 2 After dark one evening, he came to speak with Jesus. “Rabbi,” he said, “we all know that God has sent you to teach us. Your miraculous signs are evidence that God is with you.”

3 Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, unless you are born again, you cannot see the Kingdom of God."

4 “What do you mean?” exclaimed Nicodemus. “How can an old man go back into his mother’s womb and be born again?”

5 Jesus replied, “I assure you, no one can enter the Kingdom of God without being born of water and the Spirit. 6 Humans can reproduce only human life, but the Holy Spirit gives birth to spiritual life. 7 So don’t be surprised when I say, ‘You must be born again' 8 The wind blows wherever it wants. Just as you can hear the wind but can’t tell where it comes from or where it is going, so you can’t explain how people are born of the Spirit.”

100 years ago there was no such thing as a "born again Christian". It is new terminology. I was technically "born again" at the time of my baptism as a baby, if you prefer to think of it that way, but I am uncomfortable calling myself "saved" when I haven't died yet. This is hardly uncommon.

You are not saved? Like not saved from death? Did Jesus not die on the cross so that we may be saved from death and have everlasting life?

John 3:7
"Marvel not that I said unto thee, You must be born again".

You have not problems with me my friend, but you certainly might want to do some serious reading of the Bible. That is an encouragement, not a derogatory rebuke.
Your issue isn't with me, it's with entire sects of Christians who don't call themselves Born Agains.

But I'm Catholic and I'd considered myself born again.

Praise the Lord. Now how do you explain our friend Peace like a River who says that he is a Christian but "Not of the saved variety"????

It has always been my understanding that one becomes born again, they are then in fact a Christian. Help me out here Larry.
PLR is saying something that is totally without Biblical merit.

I beg to differ.

Jesus' own words:

John 3 (NLT)
3 There was a man named Nicodemus, a Jewish religious leader who was a Pharisee. 2 After dark one evening, he came to speak with Jesus. “Rabbi,” he said, “we all know that God has sent you to teach us. Your miraculous signs are evidence that God is with you.”

3 Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, unless you are born again, you cannot see the Kingdom of God."

4 “What do you mean?” exclaimed Nicodemus. “How can an old man go back into his mother’s womb and be born again?”

5 Jesus replied, “I assure you, no one can enter the Kingdom of God without being born of water and the Spirit. 6 Humans can reproduce only human life, but the Holy Spirit gives birth to spiritual life. 7 So don’t be surprised when I say, ‘You must be born again' 8 The wind blows wherever it wants. Just as you can hear the wind but can’t tell where it comes from or where it is going, so you can’t explain how people are born of the Spirit.”
We consider ourselves, as I said, to be "born again" but not by making a public confession of it...it is something that happens in our baptism. We are getting caught up in labels I think more than anything else. Yes, I was "born again" but I don't call myself a Born Again Christian because it suggests the polar opposite style of Christian to what I was raised to be.

Haha, I originally wrote a somewhat long statement after my post that commented on how poorly worded that was before I erased it thinking people would know exactly what I meant. Perhaps I should have left it in. To "sell" them is misguiding and sounds like we're trying to con them into something -- trick them into falling for something. Nor are they to "buy" or even "buy into it." But of course that's not what I meant. What I wrote was a poorly worded statement.

You knew what I meant, Major ;)

Yes I did, but I need to let every one else who is not a Christian know that.

Praise the Lord. Now how do you explain our friend Peace like a River who says that he is a Christian but "Not of the saved variety"????

It has always been my understanding that one becomes born again, they are then in fact a Christian. Help me out here Larry.
PLR is saying something that is totally without Biblical merit.
I've explained it several times. I don't call myself "saved" just like many, if not most, Christians I know, because I'm not comfortable anticipating what God is going to do with me.

Unless you're suggesting that only Fundamentalists are true Christians, is that what you mean?

Your issue isn't with me, it's with entire sects of Christians who don't call themselves Born Agains.

No sir. I have no problems with anyone at all.

I just have never heard anyone say that they were a Christian..."But were not of the saved variety". I have always considered the Biblical record that one must be born again to be saved.

Never ever heard that and do not agree with your explanation.

We consider ourselves, as I said, to be "born again" but not by making a public confession of it...it is something that happens in our baptism. We are getting caught up in labels I think more than anything else. Yes, I was "born again" but I don't call myself a Born Again Christian because it suggests the polar opposite style of Christian to what I was raised to be.
Romans 10:9 (NLT)
9 If you openly declare that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

I've explained it several times. I don't call myself "saved" just like many, if not most, Christians I know, because I'm not comfortable anticipating what God is going to do with me.

Unless you're suggesting that only Fundamentalists are true Christians, is that what you mean?

I have no idea what you are referring to when you say "Fundamentalists". All I quoted was exactly what Jesus Christ said and nothing more or less.

No sir. I have no problems with anyone at all.

I just have never heard anyone say that they were a Christian..."But were not of the saved variety". I have always considered the Biblical record that one must be born again to be saved.

Never ever heard that and do not agree with your explanation.
You are in effect saying that Catholics, Lutherans, Episcopalians, Methodists and others are not Christians. That suggests to me that you are saying something far more shocking. During my entire Christian upbringing I was never taught to call myself Born Again, but to humbly strive to be born again.

Back