1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Are your problems 9 feet tall?

Discussion in 'Bible Study' started by Boanerges(Inactive), Apr 18, 2007.

1. Are your problems 9 feet tall?

1Sa 17:4 And there went out a champion out of the camp of the Philistines, named Goliath, of Gath, whose height was six cubits and a span.
    1Sa 17:5 And he had an helmet of brass upon his head, and he was armed with a coat of mail; and the weight of the coat was five thousand shekels of brass.
    1Sa 17:6 And he had greaves of brass upon his legs, and a target of brass between his shoulders.
    1Sa 17:7 And the staff of his spear was like a weaver's beam; and his spear's head weighed six hundred shekels of iron: and one bearing a shield went before him.
    1Sa 17:8 And he stood and cried unto the armies of Israel, and said unto them, Why are ye come out to set your battle in array? am not I a Philistine, and ye servants to Saul? choose you a man for you, and let him come down to me.
    1Sa 17:9 If he be able to fight with me, and to kill me, then will we be your servants: but if I prevail against him, and kill him, then shall ye be our servants, and serve us.
    1Sa 17:10 And the Philistine said, I defy the armies of Israel this day; give me a man, that we may fight together.

Here was an obsticle over 9 feet tall - an overwhelming sight dressed to kill- he seemed an unsurmountable problem but was he- God's people had two choices here- believe that Almighty God would cause them to be victorious or to be overwhelmed by thier problem

1Sa 17:11 When Saul and all Israel heard those words of the Philistine, they were dismayed, and greatly afraid.

When confronted by an overwhelming obsticle it is a natural reaction to be afraid but if we put things in thier proper perspective we will have a quite different reaction- why was a little shepard boy the only one not afraid?

1Sa 17:42 And when the Philistine looked about, and saw David, he disdained him: for he was but a youth, and ruddy, and of a fair countenance.
    1Sa 17:43 And the Philistine said unto David, Am I a dog, that thou comest to me with staves? And the Philistine cursed David by his gods.
    1Sa 17:44 And the Philistine said to David, Come to me, and I will give thy flesh unto the fowls of the air, and to the beasts of the field.

Quite possibly the most fearsome enemy a man could imagine against a boy with a stick and a few stones- not hardly-

1Sa 17:45 Then said David to the Philistine, Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast defied.
    1Sa 17:46 This day will the LORD deliver thee into mine hand; and I will smite thee, and take thine head from thee;

When David stepped out in faith and the power of that accompanies a believer when he is trusting God - no matter who imposing his opponent make look he doesn't stand a chance-
    The same applies in our life- no matter how big the situation , the sickness, the financial problem , etc. ,etc - we come in the Name of the Lord of Hosts and they do not stand a chance!
  2. A few years ago I was watching a show on Noah's ark and they were trying to figure out how long the ark was. If I remember correctly, a cubit is close to a meter or a yard in length.

So maybe ol' Goliath was almost twently feet tall!

And a sling, for what it is, is a very formidable weapon. I made one once when I was much younger, took the time to learn how to use it. And that thing, let me tell you, would launch a rock at tremendous velocity, comparatively, and with surprising accuracy.

But it is much better to have God by our side, no doubt. :)
  3. I have always been told a cubit was the length of the elbow to the hand about 18" and a span was the breadth of an average hand-but I am not being adementabout the hieght here- as far as a sling agianst and armored, shielded giant- it was a shakey at best- the finest warriors in the whole nation were terrified of him- but that isn't really the point I was trying bring out- the point is no matter how unsermountable your problems may seem they are no match for you when standing in the power and purpose of Almighty God.
  4. David saw one thing Saul and the other Israelites didn't see. They were fighting God's battle, not their own.