Are your problems 9 feet tall?

• Thread starter Boanerges(Inactive)
  • Start date
B

Boanerges(Inactive)

Are your problems 9 feet tall?

1Sa 17:4 And there went out a champion out of the camp of the Philistines, named Goliath, of Gath, whose height was six cubits and a span.
1Sa 17:5 And he had an helmet of brass upon his head, and he was armed with a coat of mail; and the weight of the coat was five thousand shekels of brass.
1Sa 17:6 And he had greaves of brass upon his legs, and a target of brass between his shoulders.
1Sa 17:7 And the staff of his spear was like a weaver's beam; and his spear's head weighed six hundred shekels of iron: and one bearing a shield went before him.
1Sa 17:8 And he stood and cried unto the armies of Israel, and said unto them, Why are ye come out to set your battle in array? am not I a Philistine, and ye servants to Saul? choose you a man for you, and let him come down to me.
1Sa 17:9 If he be able to fight with me, and to kill me, then will we be your servants: but if I prevail against him, and kill him, then shall ye be our servants, and serve us.
1Sa 17:10 And the Philistine said, I defy the armies of Israel this day; give me a man, that we may fight together.

Here was an obsticle over 9 feet tall - an overwhelming sight dressed to kill- he seemed an unsurmountable problem but was he- God's people had two choices here- believe that Almighty God would cause them to be victorious or to be overwhelmed by thier problem

1Sa 17:11 When Saul and all Israel heard those words of the Philistine, they were dismayed, and greatly afraid.

When confronted by an overwhelming obsticle it is a natural reaction to be afraid but if we put things in thier proper perspective we will have a quite different reaction- why was a little shepard boy the only one not afraid?

1Sa 17:42 And when the Philistine looked about, and saw David, he disdained him: for he was but a youth, and ruddy, and of a fair countenance.
1Sa 17:43 And the Philistine said unto David, Am I a dog, that thou comest to me with staves? And the Philistine cursed David by his gods.
1Sa 17:44 And the Philistine said to David, Come to me, and I will give thy flesh unto the fowls of the air, and to the beasts of the field.

Quite possibly the most fearsome enemy a man could imagine against a boy with a stick and a few stones- not hardly-

1Sa 17:45 Then said David to the Philistine, Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast defied.
1Sa 17:46 This day will the LORD deliver thee into mine hand; and I will smite thee, and take thine head from thee;

When David stepped out in faith and the power of that accompanies a believer when he is trusting God - no matter who imposing his opponent make look he doesn't stand a chance-
The same applies in our life- no matter how big the situation , the sickness, the financial problem , etc. ,etc - we come in the Name of the Lord of Hosts and they do not stand a chance!

A few years ago I was watching a show on Noah's ark and they were trying to figure out how long the ark was. If I remember correctly, a cubit is close to a meter or a yard in length.

So maybe ol' Goliath was almost twently feet tall!

And a sling, for what it is, is a very formidable weapon. I made one once when I was much younger, took the time to learn how to use it. And that thing, let me tell you, would launch a rock at tremendous velocity, comparatively, and with surprising accuracy.

But it is much better to have God by our side, no doubt. :)

I have always been told a cubit was the length of the elbow to the hand about 18" and a span was the breadth of an average hand-but I am not being adementabout the hieght here- as far as a sling agianst and armored, shielded giant- it was a shakey at best- the finest warriors in the whole nation were terrified of him- but that isn't really the point I was trying bring out- the point is no matter how unsermountable your problems may seem they are no match for you when standing in the power and purpose of Almighty God.

Back