Are We Any Better Than The Pharisees?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting DRS, and we thought back in the 60's that "Big Brother" of 1984 was comical, ...the technology to implement the anti-christ's dastardly deeds is become more and more apparent.

Soon and very soon we are going to see the Lord!

I apologize for hi-jacking your thread, it got late last night.

And I guess it would be good manners to answer your question since I'm "eating" in your house, ...yes, for the reasons that have already been stated, but I can see and have done it myself when I have blown it, saints feeling unworthy of their calling or position in the Lord, but I have learned that I'm just as righteous and forgiven at that point of my life as when I'm flying high with the eagles in the power of the Holy Spirit, because we walk by faith and not by sight/feelings, the victory or "overcoming" as Jesus put it is being teachable, to be able to learn from our mistakes, that was where most of the Pharisees failed, they were unteachable.

Lord Bless and have a good day,

Gene

Sadly, we see that security thing being built through belligerence toward others right here at this forum Major.
There are the 'school yard bully boys', and those who love to sow discord, but they are known by their fruit.

Yes, sadly that is the case and what is even sadder is that everyone sees it taking place yet it still goes on.

I, we, see person after person who can quote Scripture from memory. We know of associates and friends who are able to write commentaries on prophecy and doctrine but continuelly ignore the basics of all Scripture. Does that qualify as a Pharisee???

2 Tim. 2:23
"But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes".

Titus 2:8
"Sound speech, that cannot be condemned, that he that is of the contrary part may be asheamed, having no evil thing to say of you".

Titus 3:2
"To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men".

The world is on fire, people are upside down and some people go out of their way to argue about things that do not matter one iota (?---- is "iota" a word) in life.

Two weeks ago I burried a child 1 year old who died of cancer, and we find ourselves imbroiled in an argument about who is right over what we think about the Apostle James and his beard. Listen carfully................I DO NOT CARE!

Last Friday, one of my best friends was diagnosed with advanced stage #3 lung cancer and here we find ourselves in a conflict over how many hairs are on the Red Horse of Revelation 6. Listen carfully................I DO NOT CARE!

My next door neighbor lost his job a month ago. He has a wife and 3 children to care for and we look at around at some of the past things said and there is a confrontation over nothing. NOTHIN!. Listen carfully......I DO NOT CARE!

Dear God, please forgive me for not having my priorities in the right place. Forgive dear Lord for engaging in childish behaviour that does not glorify you as the Lord of Lord and King of Kings! I pray o God for all the people who participate in the glorious adventure of being able to spread the Gospel over the internet that they and me would be ever so mindful of your presence in this world and also of the people who read what we post who are not saved that we may remember to do what your Word says to do and not what we want to do. Help us to be swayed by your Holy Spirit and not by the devil who walks this earth trying to devour as many as he can. Help us to set the example of a High and Holy God who expects worship from His children and forgive me for not doing so when I should have.

In Jesus name....Amen!

Sadly, we see that security thing being built through belligerence toward others right here at this forum Major.
There are the 'school yard bully boys', and those who love to sow discord, but they are known by their fruit.

LOL.........I must tell you this calvin. You hit something right on the head my friend.

Creativity is frowned on, everyone must do the same thing all of the time, you wouldn't believe how closed minded theses people are, and forget telling a joke, it goes way over their heads, different culture completely, ...they're descendents of Ham and are under the curse even to today.

Yeah Rusty, I would like to know where the pics were taken, I've been around Tahiti and the sister isle Moorea many times and never seen that sign.

Thanks for thinkin' of me,

Gene

Me too Rusty, I would like to know where the pics were taken as well!............as calvin said, "After all there is a possibility that copyright notices might be accidentally cropped off."

I wonder if the Pharisees recognized that they were being "pharisaical." I think Jesus spoke pointedly enough that they ought to have known, but were they able to see themselves well enough to see the truth about themselves in Jesus' words?

When I think about the failures of the Pharisees, I find that everyone likes to point to their adherence to the Law. Yet, what I find when I look at how Jesus chided them was less about their adherence tot he Law, and more of their lack of adherence to the purpose of the Law. He even acknowledged that "they did well" with keeping the Law, but pointed to their failure in that they applied it unevenly and without compassion or love. That was something that was unknowable for them. They weren't able to understand because they didn't have Godly love in them. To them, it was as though Jesus was saying "Observe the Law, but don't observe the Law". They didn't understand God's love, and so they were unable to comprehend their error.

I do not know if it is a "right" or "wrong" thing Grappler. All I know is what I have observed over my years and what seems to be obviouse.
Well if you have observed and it is obvious wouldn't you be right?? Or do you not trust your own judgment?

Well we know there were 'some' Pharisees that believed....

It all goes back to the 'heart condition'; if we are right with the Lord, we should not be in contention with the 'law' so to speak.

Grappler, given:
Mat 7:23 And then will I declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.'
The past tense expression 'never knew you' would certainly negate any question of any association, partial or full on.
True. I think that is something a child could understand. If you go back and look I never coined the phrase "partially accepted Jesus"...that was something Rusty came up with and I was wondering just what that meant in his mind.:)

We have a world full of people who have "partially accepted Jesus". The heathens are happy to accept Him as a moral teacher, but not as God. The US is full of the "name it and claim it crowd" who love Jesus as long as He makes them prosper. I know quite a few that share characteristics with that crowd, they're all praise and glory as long as there is not any pain and suffering to be endured. Many have asked me "when you got cancer did you ask God 'why me?'", and I tell them "no, I did not. Because I know what He would say 'Why not you?'"
The "rich man", is s great example. He wanted to follow Jesus, as long as he could keep the world also.

I am wondering if we have become like the Pharisees before Christ came and hung on the cross?

We 'dig' into the Bible to the point where the Church as been fractured by single lines of scripture-or just the interpretation of a single word.

Are we any better? If the 'Church' was loving the way it was supposed too....wouldn't we be a shining example attracting people like a magnet?

Or do we blame the lost for not opening their eyes?

There is obviously Pharisaical elements effecting Christianity today. I'm not really sure if they are actual Christians. I would consider them goats among the sheep as Jesus depicted in Matthew 25:31-46. Notice the range of peoples Jesus refers to as goats.
James 1:26-27 depicts the attitude we should all keep in mind. I put myself at the front of WE.

There is obviously Pharisaical elements effecting Christianity today. I'm not really sure if they are actual Christians. I would consider them goats among the sheep as Jesus depicted in Matthew 25:31-46. Notice the range of peoples Jesus refers to as goats.
James 1:26-27 depicts the attitude we should all keep in mind. I put myself at the front of WE.
Good point Stan. reflecting on James' words in v27. It is hard to see sometimes that we are in a soiled world and we need constant washing to be free of staining.

Me too Rusty, I would like to know where the pics were taken as well!............as calvin said, "After all there is a possibility that copyright notices might be accidentally cropped off."
Indeed so Major in fact three of the four images posted on this thread (so far) were taken from this web sight:
http://www.bugbog.com/images/beaches/south-pacific-pictures/tahiti-pictures-3.jpg (Just one example)
An extract from that same web sight is as follows:
Photographic images are the copyright of bugbog.com unless stated otherwise.
Written information is the intellectual copyright of the contributing writers and is used by Bugbog with permission where necessary.
Copyright material may not be reproduced in any way, electronically or otherwise, without the express written permission of the copyright holder/s.
this material can be viewed in full here: http://www.bugbog.com/company/legal.html
The first image appears to be a 'frame capture' from a video and the matter of copyright is not all that easy to determine.
however 75% minimum copyright infringement is a matter for Banarenth to consider.
I just think that in the interest of Christian integrity, all areas of relevant copyright should be observed.
Sorry DRS, this material might have found a safe haven in Net Chaplain's thread, but this is about Pharisees after all is said and done.
Matt 23:15 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you travel across sea and land to make a single proselyte, and when he becomes a proselyte, you make him twice as much a child of hell as yourselves.
Hmmm I guess these hypocrites were pre-Christian era missionaries.....never noticed that before....the overseas travel part I mean.

Indeed so Major in fact three of the four images posted on this thread (so far) were taken from this web sight:
http://www.bugbog.com/images/beaches/south-pacific-pictures/tahiti-pictures-3.jpg (Just one example)
An extract from that same web sight is as follows:
Photographic images are the copyright of bugbog.com unless stated otherwise.
Written information is the intellectual copyright of the contributing writers and is used by Bugbog with permission where necessary.
Copyright material may not be reproduced in any way, electronically or otherwise, without the express written permission of the copyright holder/s.
this material can be viewed in full here: http://www.bugbog.com/company/legal.html
The first image appears to be a 'frame capture' from a video and the matter of copyright is not all that easy to determine.
however 75% minimum copyright infringement is a matter for Banarenth to consider.
I just think that in the interest of Christian integrity, all areas of relevant copyright should be observed.
Sorry DRS, this material might have found a safe haven in Net Chaplain's thread, but this is about Pharisees after all is said and done.
Matt 23:15 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you travel across sea and land to make a single proselyte, and when he becomes a proselyte, you make him twice as much a child of hell as yourselves.
Hmmm I guess these hypocrites were pre-Christian era missionaries.....never noticed that before....the overseas travel part I mean.

K? I didn't do it....

Huh?

Well never mind, anyway I thought the part about the pharisees being overseas missionaries was interesting.
I wonder if the first part of this, Mar 11:17 And he was teaching them and saying to them, "Is it not written, 'My house shall be called a house of prayer for all the nations'? But you have made it a den of robbers." a quote from Isa 56:7. indicates that they were supposed to go out to all the nations with 'their version' of the good news. This might explain things like Cornelius being described as a God fearing man.
well to try to get back on track, I think that there have been instances where well meaning Christian missionaries have messed up, and like the Pharisees, done more harm than good. BTW, I'm not intending to suggest that all missionaries are Pharisees.

Jesus was referring to these two types of proselytes in the Jewish religion of the time, people from other nations or races that wanted to join the Jewish religion, but the Pharisees extorted and defrauded them:

1. Proselytes of righteousness-those who totally embraced the Jewish religion, baptized, circumcised, and conformed to all the rites of the Mosaic institutions.

2. Proselytes of the gate-those who approved of the Jewish religion, renounced pagan superstitions, and conformed to some of the rites of the Jews, but weren't baptized or circumcised.

Gene

Yeah, blew my mind too, I was taught way back when the Jews didn't baptize, ...so why would they flock to John the Baptist??? Anyway, give me some time to research it, I think I read it in Edershiem, but then again it might have been Josephus, but give me some time, ...I bought myself a new toy for Father's Day so it's occupying my time right now.

Gene

I don't know of an official link between Jewish practices and Baptism, though I'm hardly the final authority. I know that at one point, people started being Baptized and nobody seemed to think it necessary to describe the history, so I always assumed that it was linked to some established practice.

The coolest explanation i heard is to link it to the Jewish Sacrifices. It doesn't take a great deal of imagination to bridge that gap, however it is purely speculation as far as I know. To say that it is definitive seems a bit far to me, but the "what if" scenarios play out fairly well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back