Are there scribal errors in the Bible?

OK, if you google, scribal errors in the Bible you might find actual Christians saying that there are some, however that there is enough information to be able to work out with number is correct.

An example, in one place it says that Jehoiachin was eight years when he began to reign and that he reigned for three months and ten days, and in another place it says that he was eighteen years old when he began to reign and that he reigned for three months.

I am interested in your opinion on are there, or care there no scribal errors in the Bible.

Thanks

May I say to you that the history of Bible criticism reveals that the Bible has no errors, but the critics do. Most problems fall into one of the following categories.

1.) Assuming the Unexplained Is Unexplainable.
2.) Assuming the Bible is Guilty of Error Unless Proven Innocent.
3.) Confusing our Fallible Interpretations with God's Infallible Revelation.
4.) Failure to Understand the Context.
5.) Forgetting That the Bible is Nontechnical.

For example, if you received a letter with the following statement, would you assume you could collect some money?

"#OU HAVE WON $20 MILLION."

Even though there is a mistake in the first word, the entire message comes through-you are 20 million dollars richer! And if you received another letter the next day that read like this, you would be even more sure:

"Y#U HAVE WON $20 MILLION."

The more mistakes of this kind there are (each in a different place), the more sure you are of the original message. This is why scribal mistakes in the biblical manuscripts do not affect the basic message of the Bible.

....This is true what a man thinks , then he is.
Our thinking dictates how we believe, respond and act. This is why we are to renew the mind, to begin to learn how to think like God which is described in detail of His Written Word.
No disagreement here. The decision to act and take control of what information we take in has a profound effect on us for both the long and short term. Knowledge is a tool.
Fill the workshop with high quality tools suited to your chosen tasks and you can do a lot.
Fill the shop with cheap junk or with tools that you can't use and its worse than having no tools because all of the detritus just gets in the way.

...However simple head knowledge won't take you far in the spiritual realm. Head knowledge won't last or stand against the wiles of the devil. Faith won't bring the desired results with only head knowledge or understanding....
It seems that you are confusing mind with knowledge. The mind is a workman. Knowledge is nothing more than a tool.
The quality of the knowledge does much to determine how well it can be used. The condition of the workman and his confidence/doubt in the tool has far more effect on how effectively the tool can be used.

...Scripture says if you believe in your heart And do not doubt. The word and is used which means you can believe and doubt at the same time...
Here I'm guessing that you are referring to Matt 11 (a reference would be helpful). That aside....
What makes you think that belief and doubt can't exist in the same mind?
The bible calls that state "double minded"(James 1:8)

It seems that you are confusing mind with knowledge. The mind is a workman. Knowledge is nothing more than a tool.
The quality of the knowledge does much to determine how well it can be used. The condition of the workman and his confidence/doubt in the tool has far more effect on how effectively the tool can be used.

No sir I am not. Why do you think so?

Here I'm guessing that you are referring to Matt 11 (a reference would be helpful). That aside....
What makes you think that belief and doubt can't exist in the same mind?
The bible calls that state "double minded"(James 1:8)
Never said that. I was showing the difference of head faith vs heart faith.

...Never said that. I was showing the difference of head faith vs heart faith.
Brother, faith is trust. Faith in Jesus means that we are trusting in Him. That is and has to be a conscious, considered, and deliberate choice.

What you are calling head faith is simply knowledge. A depressingly large portion of humanity knows the truth but does not have faith in it. Their actions demonstrate what truth they actually have faith in.

That said, I don't think we are really disagreeing so much as coming at it from different angles.

Last edited:
I have had a look into Jehovah's witnesses interpretation of the Bible, and in 2 Chronicles, it says that Jehoiachin was 18, while the other interpretations if the Bible say 8.

It does get a bit confusing since in Mathew 5:18, says:

For verily I say unto you, till heaven and earth pass away, not one jot or one tittle shall in any wise pass from the law till all be fulfilled.

How do you reconcile all this?

Thanks

Hi there Peki,
The Jw's and the Mormans and everyone else only have access to the same copird manuscripts.
Looking at the Kjv, 2Ki 24:8 says he was eighteen when he began to reign whereas
2Ch 36:9 says that he was eight when he bagan to reign.
It is possible that either one of the manuscripts has been damaged in such a way that a precise translation of that particular word is not possible.
Matt 5:18 is refering to the law.
2 Chronicles and 2kings are not law, but history.
So while there are two differing ages given, that has nothing to do with the Law of Moses or Levitical law in general.
Just how old Jehoiachin was has absolutely nothing to do with Salvation by Grace through Faith in Christ Jesus.
We need to repent and place our trust in the risen Lord Jesus Christ, and we should't wait til it is Jehoiachin's birthday or for any other cue....we need to turn to God now while ther is still time left on the clock.
We need to focus on Him who alone can save us and not look for reasons to doubt or disbelieve.
Hope this helps you.

Thanks Calvin,

Yes it does help, however, in choosing which denomination to follow, you need to look into who is honest and whose understanding is in agreement with your own personal beliefs based on knowledge and experiences.

Do you or anyone else think it's wrong to put eighteen, where it actually says eight?

By the way, even if there are things in the scripture that are not in harmony, it doesn't mean that Jesus isn't a Savior. But if someone intentionally misinterprets bits in scriptures, then, how can you trust that they are on the right way?

Thanks

Thanks Calvin,

Yes it does help, however, in choosing which denomination to follow, you need to look into who is honest and whose understanding is in agreement with your own personal beliefs based on knowledge and experiences.

Do you or anyone else think it's wrong to put eighteen, where it actually says eight?

By the way, even if there are things in the scripture that are not in harmony, it doesn't mean that Jesus isn't a Savior. But if someone intentionally misinterprets bits in scriptures, then, how can you trust that they are on the right way?

Thanks
G'day Peki,
There is no short answer your question. What Fish Catcher Jim posted is good advice
My own personal approach is to seek out and stick to bona fide translations rather than paraphrases. An example of each could be the New King James versus the living bible or the niv, to name just a few..

Next my way of dealing with apparent discrepancies is to apply the principle of every thing needing verification by two or three witnesses.
1Co 14:29 Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others weigh what is said.
2Co 13:1 This is the third time I am coming to you. Every charge must be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses.
By all means pray for guidence, but you need to have some clear idea of what the options are.

I have had a look into Jehovah's witnesses interpretation of the Bible, and in 2 Chronicles, it says that Jehoiachin was 18, while the other interpretations if the Bible say 8.

For verily I say unto you, till heaven and earth pass away, not one jot or one tittle shall in any wise pass from the law till all be fulfilled.

Thanks
The Septuagint, translated by Rabbis from Hebrew into Greek, put "eight and ten" for both verses. However, I believe the issue is assigning "8" to Jehoiachin instead of understanding that it was in the 8th year of Nebuchadrezzar's reign when Jehoiachin was 18, that he was taken to Babylon, 2 Kings 24:12. See in the Hebrew, there's no "begin to reign" there's only "regin". Go to the originals, it solves these issues. The originals have One Author, the translations have many, with biases. Translations are good enough to bring you to God Almighty, but it's the originals that have the whole truth.

Thanks
I would say to you since you asked that you should get as far away from Jehovah Witness teaching and dogma as fast as you can. It would help you if you understand that the JW"S are not Christian and there translation is by far the worst of all translations available.

Calvin gave you an excellent explanation and I agree with him completely.

Jim also gave you some excellent advice and I suggest you take it.

The fact that you have "looked" into their interpretation means that you have already opened the door of false teaching to affect you so I advise you to be very careful.

The fall into the pit of false teaching begins with just one little step.

Last edited:
Back