Are Our Days Numbered?

Are our days numbered by God before we are born or is there no set time? Does our time change based on circumstances and actions?

Are our days numbered by God before we are born or is there no set time? Does our time change based on circumstances and actions?

This is a great question however it may get bogged down with the Calvinist/Arminian debate of old. The "free will vs predestination" debate has like been going on forever. Before it does I will try and answer if from scripture however I don't imagine anything I say will go unchallenged on these forums.

Ok, here goes:

(NASB)Ecclesiastes 7:17
Do not be excessively wicked and do not be a fool. Why should you die before your time?

Here we see its possible to die before your time.

(NASB)Luke 13:1-5
Now on the same occasion there were some present who reported to Him about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mixed with their sacrifices. [2] And Jesus said to them, "Do you suppose that these Galileans were greater sinners than all other Galileans because they suffered this fate? [3] "I tell you, no, but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish. [4] "Or do you suppose that those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them were worse culprits than all the men who live in Jerusalem? [5] "I tell you, no, but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish."

See in the above scripture the people had a choice. The implication is if they had repented they would not have perished.

(NASB)Exodus 20:12
"Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be prolonged in the land which the LORD your God gives you.

In above verse it talks about prolonging your life.

There are others but that will do for a start.

Can a child die because the parents don't get along? As a punishment maybe? Can these parent's behavior determine how long another person lives?

"He predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of His will,"

"For those whom he foreknew he also predestined
to be conformed to the image of his Son"

Even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will,

Not only that, but Rebekah’s children were conceived at the same time by our father Isaac.11 Yet, before the twins were born or had done anything good or bad—in order that God’s purpose in election might stand: not by works but by him who calls—she was told, “The older will serve the younger.”[d]13 Just as it is written: “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.”

What if God, although choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patiencethe objects of his wrath—prepared for destruction? What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory

Yeah, I knew the Calvinists and Arminians would come out to play ;)

Regarding your second question, whilst it was true under the old covenant, and King David lost his first born to Bathsheba because of his iniquity, we can see a change prophesied by Ezekiel:

(NASB)Jeremiah 31:29-30
"In those days they will not say again, ''The fathers have eaten sour grapes, And the children''s teeth are set on edge.'' [30] "But everyone will die for his own iniquity; each man who eats the sour grapes, his teeth will be set on edge.

"He predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of His will,"

"For those whom he foreknew he also predestined
to be conformed to the image of his Son"

Even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will,

Not only that, but Rebekah’s children were conceived at the same time by our father Isaac.11 Yet, before the twins were born or had done anything good or bad—in order that God’s purpose in election might stand: not by works but by him who calls—she was told, “The older will serve the younger.”[d]13 Just as it is written: “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.”

What if God, although choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patiencethe objects of his wrath—prepared for destruction? What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory
This is interesting. I feel kinda bad for the wrath ones..is that wrong?

Is sin the cause of all pain, suffering, and death?

I suppose we could argue it that way if we consider "medical misadventure" to be sin or is it only sin if the medical malpractice was deliberate?

People may have an opinion on such questions but I see that the Christian community is far from reaching a consensus.

I suppose we could argue it that way if we consider "medical misadventure" to be sin or is it only sin if the medical malpractice was deliberate?

People may have an opinion on such questions but I see that the Christian community is far from reaching a consensus.

I suppose.. Nonetheless, it's all for the Glory of God.

Yeah, I'm not a Calvinist, but it still is.

Well, I meant to say thats not a universally held Christian position and some would consider that a Calvinist position.

Anyway, we ought not to hijack sweetpea's thread for this side discussion. If you want to open a "Does suffering show the glory of God" thread it may serve better as a separate thread topic.

Back