1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

are my toys IDOLS

Discussion in 'Holy Spirit Baptism and Living' started by THALLON, Mar 19, 2016.

1. i'm a bit of a nerd,
    a bit creative, not enough to be anything,
    I have about 400 comics, a few toy batman , toys cars etc models,
    and stuff like coins, I would like an iron man suit of armour.
    its not a very organised collection, and not particularly valuable
    like theres no spiderman no 1 comic or anything like that, its all replaceable,
    but they are treasures to me in a sense,
    I realise that when its time to go, to be with the Lord, I won't care what happens to them,
    there won't be room in my coffin for them,
    but for now I just like to look at them,
    and the thought of selling them or even giving them away is almost....unthinkable.
    is that worship???
    do I worship the world and things of it,??
    or is it just trying to recapture a small space of my childhood, trying to relive something
    that is an illusion?
    like old guys who buy sports cars or take up riding motorbikes.
  2. We all have "things" that we would lose it if we lost them. When you hold onto things too tightly, you are putting them before God. How, if God wants you to, for you to give something you cherish to someone if you hold onto it so tight. Wants are never satisfied. There's nothing wrong with things, but don't make them God in your life. Remember, everything in this world is temporary so lay up your treasures in heaven by giving to others. :D
    Pastor James and adonaicole say Amen and like this.
  3. #3 CCW95A, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    It is impossible for man to let go of the things he has unless he see's something much better than what he has now.
    A man without vision of the Kingdom of God will never let go of his personal toys that are only temporary.

Heb 10:32.. Think back on those early days when you first learned about Christ. Remember how you remained faithful even though it meant terrible suffering.
    Heb 10:33.. Sometimes you were exposed to public ridicule and were beaten, and sometimes you helped others who were suffering the same things.
    Heb 10:34.. You suffered along with those who were thrown into jail, and when all you owned was taken from you, you accepted it with joy. You knew there were better things waiting for you that will last forever.
  4. All Christians go through trials and tribulations. Haven't you?
  5. I think anything that would take our eyes off Jesus is not good. Idolatry is one such thing. Webster has a nice definition for idolatry
    1: the worship of a physical object as a god
    2: immoderate attachment or devotion to something

I think what you mentioned would come under point#2. Excessive devotion - How much time has it taken away from God? That is the problem. Having things itself is not wrong. But the consequences it brings in our relation with God is the problem. I have my own obsessions. The great thing is, Holy Spirit is going to keep reminding you and bring it to light what you need to change in your life!
  6. I agree with Abdicate. Please give me your comics to add to my collection.

I believe it is an idol. But it is not an evil idol in the context of scripture. People would make idols of their gods. Idolatry that is a sin is worshipping a false god. Not keeping a sentimental treasure of comics and such. This I believe is adding to scripture.

The only verse you need to consider are those Jesus said to the young rich man. His wealth was keeping him from full devotion to the Lord. Hence, we need to ask ourselves things like 1. Does this hinder my time and devotion to the Lord? 2. If I lose this, will I still serve the Lord?
  7. I and many people I know have "things", usually called collectibles. I do not in the least look at them as idols. I do not worship them above all. I just enjoy them.
  8. the scripture says "God will give you the desires of your heart",
    well, what do I desire?
    Does he mean a wife, job things like that?
    or a lightsaber?. I know its only a thing that lights up and makes sounds, but its so cool. I want one.
    realistically I would swing it around a few times then stick in on a shelf to gather dust.
    I think I would like to be buried with one, just for the fun of it.
    I don't consider it an idol, its a thing I like to have,
    but Jesus is more important,
    people are more important.

I suppose things are just a reflection of our personalities? like our car.
  9. Psa 37:4.. Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.

The "desires" is not the desires you want, but God's desire for you. When the Lord God gives you his desire for your life, your desires will be exactly what God's desire are.