Are Holiday's Really Holy Day's?

I agree. DH (dear husband) doesn't go around saying he is Jewish because the further it goes, the less it gets. He says his ancestors were. We tell our kids that their ancestors were Jewish, so technically they are kindof of Jewish decent, but it's not enough to claim at this point. That sounds complicated when typed out. :p I am mixed with different races, though, so I may see it differently.

Have you ever considered Messianic Judaism? Why or why not? How does your dad practice Christianity? Sorry all the questions... don't feel obliged to answer!

Understood.
Have I ever considered Messianic Judaism: Yes and no. I've always been fascinated with it as it is still part of my heritage, but my upbringing was never devoutly Jewish. I attended a Jewish day school when I was younger, celebrated the holidays (partly because of many of my friends being both conservative and a few Hasidic Jewish friends), but overall, it wouldn't have felt genuine. I have always seen Messianic Judaism as a reservation for Jews who had directly converted to Christianity. They would continue to practice Jewish law while abiding by Christianity. If I were to be a Messianic Jew, it would be me picking up Jewish law from scratch while remaining a Christian.

My dad practices Christianity the same way most Protestant Christians do.......Oh wait...I know what you're looking for...

...First, he puts his fiddle down and climbs down from the roof....then he schleps over to the living room and grabs his tallit and wears it over his head. Finally, at sundown, he grabs the Bible, reads some passages as we all listen, and then enjoy some delicious challah with a side of lox, matzoball soup, and a bissel manischewitz wine. I don't mean to kvetsh, but the whole schtick is enough to leave you feeling verklempt.

Understood.
Have I ever considered Messianic Judaism: Yes and no. I've always been fascinated with it as it is still part of my heritage, but my upbringing was never devoutly Jewish. I attended a Jewish day school when I was younger, celebrated the holidays (partly because of many of my friends being both conservative and a few Hasidic Jewish friends), but overall, it wouldn't have felt genuine. I have always seen Messianic Judaism as a reservation for Jews who had directly converted to Christianity. They would continue to practice Jewish law while abiding by Christianity. If I were to be a Messianic Jew, it would be me picking up Jewish law from scratch while remaining a Christian.

My dad practices Christianity the same way most Protestant Christians do.......Oh wait...I know what you're looking for...

...First, he puts his fiddle down and climbs down from the roof....then he schleps over to the living room and grabs his tallit and wears it over his head. Finally, at sundown, he grabs the Bible, reads some passages as we all listen, and then enjoy some delicious challah with a side of lox, matzoball soup, and a bissel manischewitz wine. I don't mean to kvetsh, but the whole schtick is enough to leave you feeling verklempt.
You totally lost me after you said you knew what I'm looking for. Ha ha!

I was just asking if he was a Messianic Jew or practices just like other protestants! I'm now going to have to translate your message. LOL.

You totally lost me after you said you knew what I'm looking for. Ha ha!

I was just asking if he was a Messianic Jew or practices just like other protestants! LOL.
I know -- I was just teasing you. No, he simply worships Christ the same way many non-denominational Christians do.

Liz, I just realized we totally derailed your thread... but it applies. I have been doing a lot of thinking about how Christmas and Easter are of pagan origins and how the Sabbath is Saturday... Sunday is also a pagan day of worship. I understand it's the day Jesus rose from the dead and that is why I have no problem going to church or worshiping on Sunday, but was Saturday supposed to be thrown out? This is why I mentioned Messianic Judaism... they keep the Sabbath and celebrate Passover and the other feast and festivals instead of Easter and Christmas.

The Bible never mentions which one of the Seven days we should Worship him. Simply because we are to worship him Everyday not just a chosen 1 day. Paul warned however " Not to forsake the assembling of yourselves, as the manner of some is". We pick the day. We have Church on Weds night and twice on Sunday..and if we have a revival we may have it everyday if people are getting saved. The More the merrier..keeps your mind off how many on Facebook and Twitter, or Instagram are saying.

There will not be any of those things in the eternal life guys..ZERO.

Liz, I just realized we totally derailed your thread... but it applies. I have been doing a lot of thinking about how Christmas and Easter are of pagan origins and how the Sabbath is Saturday... Sunday is also a pagan day of worship. I understand it's the day Jesus rose from the dead and that is why I have no problem going to church or worshiping on Sunday, but was Saturday supposed to be thrown out? This is why I mentioned Messianic Judaism... they keep the Sabbath and celebrate Passover and the other feast and festivals instead of Easter and Christmas.

Sweet Pea, it did get somewhat derailed but it's totally fine by me. Sunday is a pagan worship day, the sabbath was changed from Saturday to Sunday because it was the day that Jesus rose from the dead. You can easily search "Why is church on Sunday instead of Saturday" and read a whole bunch of information on that. Pagans have a day of worship as well as every other false religion. I don't care what specific day I worship on because no pagan or false god created the days of the week. Everyday is a good day to worship our God. They did however create their "holy holidays" though which is what we call "Christ-mas"&"Easter" now. I think that the Christians should have separated from the pagans rather then compromising with them to "win them over" and choose a separate day and separate traditions etc. to worship our God if they truly wanted to celebrate his birth and resurrection. That is just my personal opinion. I don't see the point putting a tree in my house as well as partaking in may traditions. How these things are relevant to celebrating Christ birth and resurrection or consistent with biblical teaching's is sadly confusing to me as to why Christians do it. Lastly, I will just add that when Christmas comes around, I think "What would Jesus do if he came into my house, would he appreciate me putting up a tree or a nativity scene for his birthday?".

Jesus was most likely born in September before it becomes colder in Israel. How do I know this? Easy The Angels appeared to the Shepherds in the fields tending their flocks to announce the birth of Jesus...The Shepherds are not in the field watching their flocks that late in the year..too cold. Celebrating his birthday unto December 25 is a pagan holiday celebrating The a Winter Festival with lights, trees, ornaments.....Read Jeremiah 10 verses 1-4.

Jesus was most likely born in September before it becomes colder in Israel. How do I know this? Easy The Angels appeared to the Shepherds in the fields tending their flocks to announce the birth of Jesus...The Shepherds are not in the field watching their flocks that late in the year..too cold. Celebrating his birthday unto December 25 is a pagan holiday celebrating The a Winter Festival with lights, trees, ornaments.....Read Jeremiah 10 verses 1-4.
If I could rate it twice I would rate that I also agree.

:rolleyes: what do the shepherds do with the sheep in winter then...? what do they feed them, do they let them out even just to do their daily walk, you know, the same reason people walk dogs... ?

We don't know exactly when our Lord Jesus was born, if HE wanted us to know HE would have made sure HE would have told us... but Christ did not, maybe there is a reason why, we just don't know when His birth is and it doesn't really matter what is the exact date, what matters is that in that one day we all are united glorifying our Lord because His birth was one of hope, of salvation and of love...

:rolleyes: what do the shepherds do with the sheep in winter then...? what do they feed them, do they let them out even just to do their daily walk, you know, the same reason people walk dogs... ?

We don't know exactly when our Lord Jesus was born, if HE wanted us to know HE would have made sure HE would have told us... but Christ did not, maybe there is a reason why, we just don't know when His birth is and it doesn't really matter what is the exact date, what matters is that in that one day we all are united glorifying our Lord because His birth was one of hope, of salvation and of love...
I concur with this..But some people are blinded by traditions that they won' t let go of is why the truth needs to be told..

I concur with this..But some people are blinded by traditions that they won' t let go of is why the truth needs to be told..

These are not traditions, even from the first year our Lord resurrected His followers were asking the Jews the date of Passover so they could celebrate in remembrance of our Lord ... i am sure somebody knew at that time when our Lord Jesus was born but it was purposely not recorded. What was recorded, three times, is that our Lord ate fish with honey.

The shepherds have to take the flock out in winter also, anyone that knows about animals would have this knowledge Ricko because animals need it, and also in Israel it is not as cold as it is here in our country, i know i lived in southern Italy and winters were mild compared to what i found here in the USA, and Israel is further down towards the equator.

The most beautiful thing is to defeat the devil's ways, changing a pagan holiday and making it a holy day of worship and to give glory to God is the way Christians fought the pagan gods... the same way early Christians would look for and rescue children abandoned or thrown on the side of the roads to die... early Christians as we do today push back against evil to turn it into holy.

These are not traditions, even from the first year our Lord resurrected His followers were asking the Jews the date of Passover so they could celebrate in remembrance of our Lord ... i am sure somebody knew at that time when our Lord Jesus was born but it was purposely not recorded. What was recorded, three times, is that our Lord ate fish with honey.

The shepherds have to take the flock out in winter also, anyone that knows about animals would have this knowledge Ricko because animals need it, and also in Israel it is not as cold as it is here in our country, i know i lived in southern Italy and winters were mild compared to what i found here in the USA, and Israel is further down towards the equator.
Maybe I should email the Weather channel or better yet Email NOAA. I offered a non scriptural reason why the Shepherds were not in the field and getting a this grief over it...geez. The point is, " Christmss" is a pagan celebration and has nothing to do when Jesus was actually born....

Maybe I should email the Weather channel or better yet Email NOAA. I offered a non scriptural reason why the Shepherds were not in the field and getting a this grief over it...geez. The point is, " Christmss" is a pagan celebration and has nothing to do when Jesus was actually born....

You can ask me i was born in that part of the world... :)

No grief, just that shepherds do what shepherd do summer or winter... ;)

Christmas may have been a pagan holiday, something that was not of God but Christians made it a day to glorify God, same way when the Muslims took over many of our churches and places of worship and made it their worship place, we in turn made it holy places again by taking them back and purifying the place.

Read Jeremiah 10 verses 1-4.

I've heard more than one person quote that same reference in Jeremiah to argue that we shouldn't put wooden crosses up in churches. What are your thoughts on that?

My thoughts are: those verses are demystifying idol worship. These verses are there to say (paraphrase), "How can an idol have any power? A human cuts down the tree. A human carves it, decorates it, hangs it. So don't fear them, they don't have any real power, they're just things made by people. All of this work and their worship is worthless and in vain, because they worship nothing. God is the only God with any real power." Read the whole chapter up to v10. Jeremiah is not saying that it's forever wrong to decorate a cut-down tree, since someone once used a cut-down tree for idolatry. That would be like saying we can never use nuclear energy to power reactors, because someone once used it to bomb civilian cities.

So the "ways of nations" are not the particularities of a festival or whatever, the "ways of nations" are actually worshiping something that cannot save them. In this sense, national holidays like the 4th of July can be more of a participation in the "ways of nations" if a person puts their trust in and love for their nation before their trust in and love for God. Can't patriotic nationalism end up being idolatry in a person's life? There are many ways that Christians today do participate in the ways of nations, and those are the things that really need to be addressed.

So when you say, "Celebrating his birthday unto December 25 is a pagan holiday celebrating The a Winter Festival with lights, trees, ornaments," I would say, a pagan holiday was once celebrated on Dec 25. Now Dec 25 is a ubiquitous homage to mass consumerism, and certainly, that particular "way of nations" is something Christians should be very wary of in their lives. But people generally get a week or two off work, and it's common to spend time with family. So for some Christians, it's a convenient time for them to get together and celebrate the fact that Jesus was born as our Messiah, even though they know that's not the actual day He was born, and if they choose to do that, they are in no way whatsoever "learning the ways of the nations." So let's talk to Christians about purging "ways of nations" like gratification through consumerism from their lives, not worrying so much about whether or not they are decorating a tree once a year, yes? :)

I've told this story before here: I once lived on a Native reserve in Canada, and there was a debate over the use of drums. Traditionally, the people there had used drums to interact with the spirit world (of which they lived in fear). When they became Christians, some said that they should give up drumming, because it was connected to that worship, and some said it was okay to drum, because of their intent while drumming. One man said to me, "I drum for Jesus now." So what was the pagan practice: drumming, or using the drum for praying to spirits? If one person uses a drum to pray to spirits, is the drum forever tainted for everyone? Are we praying to evil spirits in our churches when we use drums in our churches, because a pagan ritual once included drums (some of them said that we are!) I'll let everyone ruminate on that, but I'm with Rosa on this one: if someone decorates a tree and says "Yes, once someone used this tradition for pagan worship. But I know this is just a tree that looks pretty, and I decorate it now as part of the way I choose to celebrate Jesus' birth, which I know actually happened at a different time of the year," how confident can we be to declare that they are doing the wrong thing? For them, haven't they simply redeemed something that was never inherently sinful that someone was just temporarily using to do something sinful? Can't my friend "drum for Jesus now" if he wants to? How can we insist that's wrong?

What does everyone think of the verse Steve referred to, Col 2:16 Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.

Check out that whole chapter, especially v16-23. It's pretty awesome. It's as demystifying for us as Jeremiah 10 was for the Hebrews.

Back