Are Children Really a "Gift?"

Are Children Really a "Gift?"

There are several Scriptures that state Children are a gift from the Lord. If that is true how should we respond to such a gift?

By accepting several gifts? (Having more children than 2.3???)

By sacrificing our own wants and desires to supply the needs of our children????

What does it mean and how should we respond to the gift of children?

Well, each person has their own conviction about this.
I don't feel I have sacrificed my own needs for my children.
Yes, I have gone without things and even struggled, but so what~
It's not a sacrifice to give things up for someone you love.
We struggle together.
I remind my children how Jesus struggled in his life.
Blessings to you~

My children are one of the greatest gifts God has ever given me !

BTW, yes, children are definitely a gift!!!
My above post, stating it is different for everyone was referring to having more children.....

Well my wife had 3 c -sections- one more and I could play tic-tac-toe on her tummy but she just wouldn't agree.

Truely a gift from God

Hi guys,

I totally understand people struggling with the issue of children as gifts from God. I come from a family who worked hard to give me a good education and expected me to follow a promising career. However, this was not God's plan for me... He found me a wonderful man and we got married just before I turned 21 (in January) and we had our first boy in November, I fell pregnant again a year later and had another boy. Well, we were only planning on two, but decided not to 'seal the deal' :D in case we regretted it 5- 10 years down the track and wanted then to try for a girl... 9 MONTHS LATER... yes, you guessed it! I was pregnant again! The hardest part was that just after I found out my sister-in-law lost her new born baby (we new he had serious medical problems before he was born). I felt terrible being there when he died a few hours after birth and attending the funeral and, most of all, telling her we were having another baby. She is a truly wonderful person who loves the Lord and though I know it must have been very hard for her to see us have our 3rd boy last October she was soooo wonderful to us.

There have been many many times I wondered why God chose this path for us. It's not that I don't absolutely love my kids and raising them and making a home for my family because it is the most wonderful thing I have ever done with my life and they are such a wonderful, wonderful blessing to me. It's the fact that my extended family don't really understand why I didn't put of kids to focus on a career... to be earning at least as much as my husband (they seem to like both partners having equal power and identical responsibilities). I don't agree with them but it still doesn't make life easy sometimes. In spite of all the challenges and difficulties of having kids, my family is God's most precious gift to me (aside from salvation) and they have given me a greater understanding of God's love.

Not everyone, however, is meant to have kids (I feel); I think that is personal to each person and definitely something to pray about. I think the most important thing is to be ready to go where God is leading and do what God is asking us to do (always verifying this through the Bible). Don't feel bad about not having kids... God can change that... our desires and situations can change.

I love this passage...
Psalm 127:3-5 (NKJV)
3 Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD,
The fruit of the womb is a reward.
4 Like arrows in the hand of a warrior,
So are the children of one’s youth.
5 Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them;
They shall not be ashamed,
But shall speak with their enemies in the gate.

God loves you more than you can imagine and you need to trust Him to direct your life.

Proverbs 3:5-6 (NKJV)
5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
6 In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths.

Hope this helps!
God bless,
wizabuff

There are several Scriptures that state Children are a gift from the Lord. If that is true how should we respond to such a gift?

By accepting several gifts? (Having more children than 2.3???)

By sacrificing our own wants and desires to supply the needs of our children????

What does it mean and how should we respond to the gift of children?

Interesting that an elementry School principle would ask these questions.
I bet you see all kinds of stuff that makes one wonder, don't you?????

Spending the day dealing with all sorts of childish behavour. dicipline problems, maturty problems, learning disabilities, anger problems, lacking of social skills, inability to relate and in some cases unable to grasp even the most basic of concepts. It's no doubt hard to get them to learn and retain anything.
:D :D Thats the parents:D :D
Dealing with the kids is probibly the least of the problems a school principle has.:rolleyes:

But seriously,
While to society and by mans logic the number, expence and sacrifice might be important it is not so in God's eyes nor the eyes of a parent.
And it's not the individual child expence weighed against return on investment that matters. It is not a profit ,loss bottom line accounting issue either. 25 can be too few and one too many depending on the situation and the person..

Children are an intrical part of life. Whether bio or adopted they give life meaning and purpose beyond ourselves. They provide for us challenges and rewards that without we cannot fully value life itself. Vessels to carry our legacy beyond our time on this earth. They more than anything else help us to see the world and love from God's perspective. In that respect they (all Children) are a gift from God.
There can be no greater gift than that to a dying world. Blessed amung the best are those who strive and sacrifice to care for such precous gifts, "parents" (and oh yea, Grand parents);)

Sincerely
His
Theirs
And yours
Cliff

C section (Cesarean Section)
is a surgury performed to remove the baby from the mother when a natural child birth is not possible or extreemly dangerous for mother and/or child.

Sincerely
cliff

Smellycat all 3 of my beautiful children wre breach babies ( upside down at delivery time) and all 3 had their chords wrapped around their necks if it weren't for c-sections we would have lost them all.
My children have been one of the most wonderful things that ever happened in life but of course not every moment is sunshine and some people do seem to have a better disposition for handeling them- also there are those for whom God has called to a different life- it is all good as I figure whatever life God gives you He will find a way to make it richly fulfilling- many blessings Larry

My wife has had 3 children. We lost our first during delivery and in a strange way she was one of the greatest gifts we were ever given. We got to nurse her and have photo's. We dedicated her to God. The funeral and months later (even now) there is hurt. But she definitely was a gift that changed lives for the better.
My next 2 are are 4 & 2 y.o. Great gifts but I tell ya what even a greater responsibility.
I suppose thats life gift and responsibility go hand in hand

We lost one too brother- I know everything happens for a reason and I know I will get to meet my son in heaven- God is good !

Back