Are All Rulers God-appointed? Romans 13, John 19

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Paintanker, Nov 28, 2012.

1. I'm a sci fi buff and the idea of intelligent beings from other worlds intrigues me. What if some of the gods mankind has worshipped down through history were in fact extraterrestrials? Anyone familiar with the Ancient Astronaut theory? It's just a very interesting idea, I'm not saying I think it's true.

2. the " gods mankind has worshipped down through history " have all either been figments
    of their imaginations or devils, there is no evidence whatsoever to support the notion that
    this world has been visited by "aliens".

You will note however that areas that tend to have a high incedence of "UFO" activity
    also have a high incidence of occult activity. The one causes the other.

autumn oddity, KingJ and Major says Amen and like this.
  3. Agreed!

4. What is "occult activity?"

5. "Occult activity" is satan worship, fortune tellers, and other types that dabble in the dark arts or divine the future by way of communing with spirits (by whatever method).

6. For all the athiests and unbelievers that think christians aren't smart I think this proves them wrong :) There are a lot of smart cookies on this thread... ^^ anywho don't mind me I'm just gonna watch this thread it'd very interesting I sorta wonered the same thing as the original poster but I agree w/ agricola that god does use some evil people asinstruments of punishment by placing them in authority.

7. Here in the USA, God appointed "We the people" to rule this country. The president, the senators, the congress, and the judiciary are all public servants. "We the people" are the authority, and have an obligation to be engaged in politics. Christians in the US do not have the luxury to be non political. God has given us the power and authority to rule. Have we fulfilled our obligation?

8. The US Constitution is not God-breathed. Men wrote it.

9. No, the constitution, like Martin Luther's words are not God-breathed. But Gods word in the Bible, instructing us to submit to government authority; (in this case "We the People"), is.

Theo Fane likes this.
  10. You got that right. As our current president has eloquently stated; “Whatever we once were, we are no longer a Christian nation,”

Theo Fane likes this.
  11. The kingdom of God is not of this Earth. I seriously doubt there can be any such thing as a Christian nation here on Earth. Everything we do seems to come out wrong. :(

Rusty likes this.
  12. "Let not your heart be troubled."

This is why we pray, "Thy Kingdom come"
    It will come, as promised.
    Revelation 11:15

And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever.

13. Earthly power corrupts whomever seeks after it, be he Christian or pagan. When the Christian establishment seeks to free itself from Caesar, it invariably becomes Caesar. Do you understand what I'm saying?

Rusty likes this.
  14. I think I understand. If we free ourselves from our rulers, we become our own rulers.
    In a way, I think this was Gods intent; for all man kind to be free from the Caesars of this world.
    And, this is what will happen when Jesus returns to reign for ever. And, we will reign as joint hares to the kingdom.

15. Living in a society means comforming to authority. Society is possible only because we all agree to follow certain rules. If every person was their own ruler, how could a society function? Eventually, someone comes forward with a plan. Eventually, anarchy gives way to some kind of government. Chaos must eventually give way to order.

The Caesars of this world rule this world, not the next. We need rulers and authorities in this world to create and maintain order.

16. Still, God appoints rulers, and authorities. Therefore, God appointed "We the people" to rule the USA. And, if the elected public servants do not obey the will of the people, God expects "We the people" to take the appropriate actions.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with inherent and inalienable Rights; that among these, are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness; that to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed; that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the people to alter or abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles, and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

Thomas Jefferson

Theo Fane likes this.
  17. I think that all men are created equal in the eyes of our Creator, but not necessarily in the eyes of men. I may be wrong, but I think that the US Constitution was written with rich, white, slave-owners in mind. People of other races have not benefitted from the ideas put forth by Thomas Jefferson and the other framers of the US Constitution. When the white Christian man colonized this part of the world (the Americas), he did so by way of slavery and genocide and cultural imperialism. Is it wrong to be white and Christian and male? No! Should we feel guilty because of what our ancestors did to other races and nations? No! Should the history of Christianity and European expanionism humble us? Yes!

18. Perhaps, God appoints some rulers as a punishment.
    He appointed Egyptian Pharaohs to rule the Hebrew for 400 years.
    He appointed Nebuchadnezzar, Alexander the Great, Antiochus Epiphanes, and others.

Theo Fane likes this.
  19. Some rulers, maybe. But not every ruler. Not anyone who has ever held political power. No one knows that much about how God thinks. History is full of very bad people who claimed they were sent by God.

20. The problem with ET's (created in the image of God), is that unless they fell in sin too, what happens to them when this present heavens and earth get fried?
    On the other hand, if the bug uglies also fell in sin, that would require that Jesus would be crucified over and over again.
    As for the distances being too great between the stars, if space/time compression and expansion is in fact possible, interstellar travel would be possible too. Anyways the way I look at it is that if life exists on another planet somewhere, it is because God created it there. If no life exists on any other planet, it is because God never created it there.

Theo Fane likes this.