Anybody Else Want To Study The Book Of Daniel?

I would love to continue with this Silk. It works best for me personally if we have a verse or verses that we can focus on. That keeps me from rambling from one aspect to another.

In chapter TWO, would you like to list what verses you would want to consider and we can talk about them as we go.

That is fine with me - I listed Chapt 2 in post#49 and post #50 is the1bill's past explanation. We are presently talking about Neb's dream.

And folks, I had not watched all of the 2nd video I posted - only the first part. The last 1/2 I don't agree with at all but I know someone in this forum that would agree. So scratch that. Apologies to the Catholics.

That is fine with me - I listed Chapt 2 in post#49 and post #50 is the1bill's past explanation. We are presently talking about Neb's dream.

And folks, I had not watched all of the 2nd video I posted - only the first part. The last 1/2 I don't agree with at all but I know someone in this forum that would agree. So scratch that. Apologies to the Catholics.

OK. Why did God give Daniel the answers to the Kings dream?

1. It saved the lives of Daniel and his friends.
2. It showed the greatness of God.
3. It showed the utter failure of the wise men of the King.
4. It showed that God answered prayer.
5. It showed that God is sovereign and involved in human matters.
6. It proved to a pagan society that He is the God of Israel.

Personally I think it would be helpful if we all understood that God does not want us to be ignorant of His plan. He wants to reveal Himself and His purpose to us. Daniel came with a pure heart and spirit along with a humble attitude and as a result he heard from God. If we could only learn that lesson today.

the dream of the king consisted of FIVE different materials and they represented five great world empires that would oppress Israel.

1. GOLD = Babylon of then king Nebuchadnezzar.
2. SILVER = Medo-Persia which actually ended the 70 years of Jewsish captivity n Babylon.
3. BRASS = Grecian Empire under king Alaxender the Great.
4. IRON = Roman Empire.
5. MIREY CLAY = Revised Roman Empire.

In the first part of Major's post, I would say all of the 6 statements are true to a greater or lesser degree but greatest is to show God's ultimate power & glory. I was reading how the 1st 6 chapters of Daniel are about Daniel's history but the last 6 are the prophetic chapters. One author said that the 1st 6 and how you apply it to your life is the only way to unlock the prophetic symbols used in the last 6. It is difficult to discuss this book because so much is tightly interwoven. For instance, we are discussing Chapt 2 - Neb's dream and it is difficult not to link this with the statue Neb has made, all in gold, in Chapt.3 that the king requires everyone bow down to. Further, later chapters all expand on the manner and details of this dream in Chapt 2. Plus there are references all over in Jeremiah, Amos, Isaiah, the Gospels, and Revelation. It is amazingly tightly woven to affirm God's plan. The symbols particularly are cross referenced and defined and one really needs to know scripture to sort it out. I think our study should be loose to accomodate and bring this in but try to go chapter by chapter? And folks, feel free to timeline with history as we know it.

In reference to the metals in the statue - notice that along with the decrease in value of the metal - there is an increasing hardness to each metal? I think we are in the time where the good get "gooder" and the bad get "badder" - a polarization.

In the first part of Major's post, I would say all of the 6 statements are true to a greater or lesser degree but greatest is to show God's ultimate power & glory. I was reading how the 1st 6 chapters of Daniel are about Daniel's history but the last 6 are the prophetic chapters. One author said that the 1st 6 and how you apply it to your life is the only way to unlock the prophetic symbols used in the last 6. It is difficult to discuss this book because so much is tightly interwoven. For instance, we are discussing Chapt 2 - Neb's dream and it is difficult not to link this with the statue Neb has made, all in gold, in Chapt.3 that the king requires everyone bow down to. Further, later chapters all expand on the manner and details of this dream in Chapt 2. Plus there are references all over in Jeremiah, Amos, Isaiah, the Gospels, and Revelation. It is amazingly tightly woven to affirm God's plan. The symbols particularly are cross referenced and defined and one really needs to know scripture to sort it out. I think our study should be loose to accomodate and bring this in but try to go chapter by chapter? And folks, feel free to timeline with history as we know it.

In reference to the metals in the statue - notice that along with the decrease in value of the metal - there is an increasing hardness to each metal? I think we are in the time where the good get "gooder" and the bad get "badder" - a polarization.

The reason that the king was given the dream was to let him know that his kingdom and rule would not continue.

There is a definite break between chapter 6 and 7. In chapter 6 Daniel is placed in the lions den and spends the night there IMO with the pre-incarnate Christ. As a result we begin to see the end times plan come into the picture as a result of their evening together.

Several good things came out of this experience. Daniel was made a great man of authority as well as his friends. Daniel was shown to be an uncompromising child of God. He knew the Word of God and lived it and was blessed because of it.

Something we all should remember is that...."There is a price to pay for true discipleship".

It is important to see that the 4 youths were in a hostile environment and still found a way to follow God's will. They were constantly in danger. Again - I read that their hearts were convicted and without that - they would have been lost. It is the difference of relying on "I" or "God".

It is important to see that the 4 youths were in a hostile environment and still found a way to follow God's will. They were constantly in danger. Again - I read that their hearts were convicted and without that - they would have been lost. It is the difference of relying on "I" or "God".

Absolutely. That tells me that we can serve and worship God no matter where we are.

In thinking on my faith, I realized I had left doors open and only realized I had left them open due to some doubts. Maybe little ones but I'm learning to shut the doors now.

I just realized something - when the sorcerers, Chaldeans, soothsayers and false preachers admitted that they could not answer what Neb's dream was - they were admitting that man cannot, of himself, prophesy or get new revelation. That this is all God's doing. The truth can only come from God, as He ordains it.

Absolutely correct.

I just realized something - when the sorcerers, Chaldeans, soothsayers and false preachers admitted that they could not answer what Neb's dream was - they were admitting that man cannot, of himself, prophesy or get new revelation. That this is all God's doing. The truth can only come from God, as He ordains it.

YOU my dear are a fast learner and I do not care what the others say!

This is exactly why you have seen me stress the fact of the Word of God is the truth that sets us free and NOT what some one says!!!!

The TRUTH is what God says it is and not what we think it is.

YOU my dear are a fast learner and I do not care what the others say!

This is exactly why you have seen me stress the fact of the Word of God is the truth that sets us free and NOT what some one says!!!!

The TRUTH is what God says it is and not what we think it is.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I'm interested, at this point in my life, in truth. Not as I or others want it but as it is. There aren't many "truths" as people so often want to say. There is only one long string of truth that is as true at the beginning as the end. The book of Daniel, it is said (and I can see why), is an important book to understand in discussing end times. I think we are on that brink - certainly, I see the signs. I want to understand, foremost, to be able to apply it to my life. We all hold pieces to that understanding.

Many have said that the book of Daniel was written after the fact because the revelation in this book so astounding predicts the history that has/had so unfolded. I think that we should take that as God's promise that the revelations that have yet to be fulfilled are also as exact. The mistake of some to count the Medo and Persians as separate empires are ignoring that this section has 2 arms on the torso. As in the 2 legs of the Roman empire, Byzantine/east with Europe/west.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I'm interested, at this point in my life, in truth. Not as I or others want it but as it is. There aren't many "truths" as people so often want to say. There is only one long string of truth that is as true at the beginning as the end. The book of Daniel, it is said (and I can see why), is an important book to understand in discussing end times. I think we are on that brink - certainly, I see the signs. I want to understand, foremost, to be able to apply it to my life. We all hold pieces to that understanding.

Yes sister, without a clear understanding of Daniel The Revelation is nothing more than a fairy tale.

The 2nd coming is so close that I keep a bag packed by the front door......:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I forgot to mention that Christ, Himself, acknowledges Daniel as the author of the book via:
Mat_24:15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)
Mar_13:14 But when ye shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not, (let him that readeth understand,) then let them that be in Judaea flee to the mountains:

Just a note that the abomination is noted for the future and in context with the end of days - not as some will note as occurring already over a thousand yrs. ago.

Bear with me but I find this Book of Daniel Study 1 (and study 2 is pictured top right when 1 finishes) is very informative, combining scripture and history. It is very thorough and Study 1 is about Daniel Chapters 1&2. It also answers counter arguments.

In Dan 2:45, the "stone" that destroys the statue is of course, Christ/Messiah (Psalms 118:22-23, Is 28:16, Rom 9:33, 1Pet 2:6, Luke 20:18). Do you think Exodus 24:12 - that the commandments were written on stone is a reference?

In Dan 2:45, the "stone" that destroys the statue is of course, Christ/Messiah (Psalms 118:22-23, Is 28:16, Rom 9:33, 1Pet 2:6, Luke 20:18). Do you think Exodus 24:12 - that the commandments were written on stone is a reference?

I just do not know sister. My 1st thought would be no. It was common in that day to use stone to engrave something you wanted to last for along time.

The Stone is one of many figures of speech in the Scriptures that speak of Christ in the office He has as judge and Saviour.

Deut. 32:15 says......
"He is the ROCK of our salvation".

Deut. 32:4 says.........
"He is the ROCK of judgment".

Well, I suppose it may seem a stretch. But I was going on that Christ is the Word and is often depicted symbolwise as a rock/stone and the 10 commandments was written on "sapphire" stone. The stone, in the dream, hits the statue at the feet and destroys it. The gold head, the silver chest, bronze part of the torso, and the iron legs are an accumulation of empires lead by the world (Satan) as they get harder but of less value. The stone is cut out of the mountain that is symbol of heaven?

In speaking of stones/rocks (total aside) I was reminded of David killing Goliath (of Gath) with a stone to the forehead. He took Goliath's head. Did he bury it in Jerusalem...at Golgatha - the place of the skull? Ironic if Goliath's head, as seed of Satan, was buried beneath Christ's feet at the cross.

Well, I suppose it may seem a stretch. But I was going on that Christ is the Word and is often depicted symbolwise as a rock/stone and the 10 commandments was written on "sapphire" stone. The stone, in the dream, hits the statue at the feet and destroys it. The gold head, the silver chest, bronze part of the torso, and the iron legs are an accumulation of empires lead by the world (Satan) as they get harder but of less value. The stone is cut out of the mountain that is symbol of heaven?

Question was........
"The stone is cut out of the mountain that is symbol of heaven? "

The verse says in 2:35............
"and the stone that smote the image BECAME a great mountain..........."

The stone is indicted to be growing and thus is a "living stone" and it filled the whole world, taking the place of the image.

Back