Anxiety: Psalm 38

I have a lot of anxiety. In fact I'm diagnosed with social anxiety and generalized anxiety. After reading Psalm 38, I can tell you that it is normal to have anxiety in at least part of your life. It's not a sin, although it can be caused by sin. But we're all sinners, so there you go.

David wrote this psalm, when his sins were over his head in Psalm 38:4, and God's arrows had sunk deep in him (Psalm 38:2). He was full of anxiety because of his sins (Psalm 38:18). And he was anxious because of his enemies (Psalm 38:19-20).

Psalm 38:1-22

I was reading out of the NASB version, where "I am sorry for my sins" = "I am full of anxiety because of my sins."

"Sin" and "evil" are words that only mean when "things are not right," unrighteousness. Conversely righteousness means "things are right". Salvation and Peace are words that mean the absence of things that cause the right to be wrong. God can and will set you free from anxiety. Anxiety is fear and fear is the opposite of trust. When you surrender, you give up control. If you know you're not in control, then you won't worry. Surrender to God's control, you don't have it anyhow, and believing you should be in control is the cause of your anxiety. Take hold of this truth:

Philippians 4:6-9 (KJV)
Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things. Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

Think about what you think about. :) When those times of anxiety come, they are preceded by a thought. That thought is contrary to the truth in the verse above. So what do you do with the thought?

2 Corinthians 10:4-6 (KJV)
(For the weapons of our warfare [are] not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; ) Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.

You cast down those thoughts. EVERYONE wars in their mind. It's Romans 7, and yes, very normal. But it's up to you to quote Philippians when those thoughts invade your thinking. Instead of letting it arrest you, arrest it and cast it down, just as Jesus did when He was tempted by the devil. Jesus used the scriptures. Anything not right is from the devil. Salvation isn't just a change in destination, but of anything that is contrary to peace.

Salvation's meaning in Greek:
1. deliverance, preservation, safety, salvation
a. deliverance from the molestation of enemies
b. in an ethical sense, that which concludes to the souls safety or salvation

Salvation's meaning in Hebrew:
1. salvation, deliverance
a. welfare, prosperity
b. deliverance
c. salvation (by God)
d. victory

The rest is up to you. The word promises:

2 Timothy 1:7 (KJV)
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Back