Annihilationism

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not a "selective" literalist.. I think each scripture must be looked at in its context..some scripture is clearly to be taken in its most literal sense...some scripture is clearly symbolic...some scripture must we balanced with other scripture that speaks to the same issue.. The whole counsel of the scriptures must be sought on any given issue.. Line upon line and percept upon precept...here a little there a little... The scriptures are as those two flaming swords that guard the way back to the Tree of Life..the flesh of man cannot pass through and only the pure of heart will be allowed to pass... Those who mishandle the Word of Life according to their own will and intentions will never see the mystery that is hidden beyond the veil of the flesh.

I fully agree as I read your post line by line… then comes the last lines...

We are all students here, there is only one Teacher. Matthew 23:10

We attack the argument, not the person.

Each one of these scriptures are full in truth and value..to just kind of brush them aside as you have tried to do is just unbiblical.

I fully agree as I read your post line by line… then comes the last lines...

We are all students here, there is only one Teacher. Matthew 23:10

We attack the argument, not the person.
Well I described an ungodly act and If that offends someone, I suggest they stop committing the "act' that I have described. We don't ignore the works of darkness, we reprove them. And I suggest to you that if you describe "yourself" as a student? Then stop trying to teach or reprove me for I am a teacher and ordained by God to represent Him and His Word.

Well I described an ungodly act and If that offends someone, I suggest they stop committing the "act' that I have described. We don't ignore the works of darkness, we reprove them. And I suggest to you that if you describe "yourself" as a student? Then stop trying to teach or reprove me for I am a teacher and ordained by God to represent Him and His Word.

There is only one Teacher
Matthew 23:10
"And do not be called teachers; for One is your Teacher, the Christ."

This is a bible study. Difficult to have a discussion with you.

Goodbye #post 97…. You will not be answered.

I have made no personal attacks.. and of course these passages are full of metaphors, but one cannot just dismiss them and their intention as you have tried to do. That was my point.

When you said "I don't trust folks who play games with the Word of God," who were you referring to?

When you said, "the error of mans religion trying to "make" the scriptures say what they desire the scriptures to say," who were you referring to?

When you said, "that some would be led astray by this sort of deceitfulness in the Word is a matter of concern," who were you referring to?

It sounded like you were questioning my honesty and integrity. If so, that is a personal attack. If not, my apologies.

I did not dismiss their intention. I gave a reasonable description of their intention. If you don't think it is reasonable, that is YOUR opinion.

When you said "I don't trust folks who play games with the Word of God," who were you referring to?

When you said, "the error of mans religion trying to "make" the scriptures say what they desire the scriptures to say," who were you referring to?

When you said, "that some would be led astray by this sort of deceitfulness in the Word is a matter of concern," who were you referring to?

It sounded like you were questioning my honesty and integrity. If so, that is a personal attack. If not, my apologies.

I did not dismiss their intention. I gave a reasonable description of their intention. If you don't think it is reasonable, that is YOUR opinion.
Anyone who plays games with Gods Word.. etc... these things are written to reprove works and to confront actions, they are not written to address a person. Now I will continue to reprove these actions when and where I see them, if you don't like my reproof of these actions? Don't commit these actions...But don't expect those of us who know righteousness to be silent when folks are in error. I don't know you "personally" but I have the right to judge your use of scripture as it relates to the truth of Gods Word. I have authority in Christ to reprove those in error, and those who mishandle the Word of truth. If you see that as a "personal" issue? Im sorry, I do not! I see that as a matter of righteousness and truth in How Gods Word is used.

Last edited:
There is only one Teacher
Matthew 23:10
"And do not be called teachers; for One is your Teacher, the Christ."

This is a bible study. Difficult to have a discussion with you.

Goodbye #post 97…. You will not be answered.
Well that is a unbiblical translation, and of coursed God has called and equipped true "teachers" which I am in Jesus Christ.

Mt 23:10 Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.

Anyone who plays games with Gods Word.. etc... these things are written to reprove works and to confront actions, they are not written to address a person. Now I will continue to reprove these actions where and where I see them, if you don't like my reproof of these actions? Don't commit these actions...But don't expect those of us who know righteousness to be silent when folks are in error. I don't know you "personally" but I have the right to judge your use of scripture as it relates to the truth of Gods Word. I have authority in Christ to reprove those in error, and those who mishandle the Word of truth. If you see that as a "personal" issue? Im sorry, I do not! I see that as a matter of righteousness and truth in How Gods Word is used.

I did not commit the actions you are accusing me of.

It is funny how people attack you Mitspa when you are getting to the truth of things. They say you are personally attacking them to get attention of a moderator so that moderator will shut you up.

I am an evangelical, Jesus loving, Bible believing, Christian pastor. I did a comprehensive sermon on the subject, an exhaustive review of all the scriptural evidence, both Old and New Testament. It's called "The Case for Conditionalism." Here is a link:

Simply put, the handful of proof texts for Eternal Conscious Torment come from parables, prophecies, and apocalyptic visions. The multitude of didactic teaching passages are overwhelmingly clear that the righteous in Christ shall receive eternal life, and the wicked shall perish. If you study the whole Bible on the subject, you will see for yourself that the evidence for conditionalism far outweighs the evidence for ECT.

I haven’t watch your video yet, no 1.33 hour to spare yet : )

Question:
How about this verses:

My conclusion is: There is selective : those that has knowing, deliberate, free will disobedience.

Revelation 20:10

King James Version (KJV)
10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Revelation 14:9-11

New King James Version (NKJV)
9 Then a third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, “If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives his mark on his forehead or on his hand, 10 he himself shall also drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out full strength into the cup of His indignation. He shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. 11 And the smoke of their torment ascends forever and ever; and they have no rest day or night, who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name.”

Well that is a unbiblical translation, and of coursed God has called and equipped true "teachers" which I am in Jesus Christ.

Funny that a few post ago someone tried to silence me by saying this is a discussion board..now by claiming this is a bible study? Well if the scriptures are not looked at in their intended context and truth..its not much of a bible study is it?...which was and is my point.

Funny that a few post ago someone tried to silence me by saying this is a discussion board..now by claiming this is a bible study? Well if the scriptures are not looked at in their intended context and truth..its not much of a bible study is it?...which was and is my point.

Can you not see the difference?

That thread is under General Discussion. An Atheist is posting a question!

This topic is Bible Study. A Christian is posting a question!

What a waste of time...I watched enough of that video to see that there no understanding of the Work of Christ and the judgment of God and all these vast jumps in biblical logic are just unacceptable as to find the truth of this issue. Why cant people just stay within the truth of what the scriptures teach?... Lets see lay one error down, and then build off that error more error ... "God is in Hades"...what a doctrine of demons!

Last edited:
Can you not see the difference?

That thread is under General Discussion. An Atheist is posting a question!

This topic is Bible Study. A Christian is posting a question!
No that was this thread.. and like I said this is not a bible study unless the bible is studied in context and tested as to its intention. From what I have seen this is just a bunch of random scriptures taken out of context with great leaps of logic and error to try to uphold a doctrine that is not biblical.

Unbiblical? see? you can easily use those terms in a discussion?

other translation put it as Teachers.... also read verses prior to that...

Matthew 23
King James Version (KJV)

7 And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi.
8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.
9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.
10 Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.
11 But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant.
12 And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.

Quick reply. I have a funeral service to do this evening...

Isaiah 34 deals with the destruction of Edom. It is a prophetic vision of what will happen when Edom is destroyed.

8 For the Lord has a day of vengeance, a year of recompense for the cause of Zion. 9 And the streams of Edom shall be turned into pitch, and her soil into sulfur; her land shall become burning pitch. 10 Night and day it shall not be quenched; its smoke shall go up forever. From generation to generation it shall lie waste; none shall pass through it forever and ever.

This vision of the fire being unquenchable and the smoke rising forever is a metaphor. Edom was destroyed long ago, and the smoke no longer rises. This visionary language is identical to the visionary language in Revelation. So since the smoke mentioned in Isaiah is not literally rising to this day, it is safe to conclude that the smoke in Revelation is not meant to be understood literally either.

The symbolic language of Isaiah represents the total and final destruction of Edom. The symbolic language of Revelation represents the total and final destruction of the lost.

More tonight...

And this is exactly why I said in comment #42 that I am familiar with your work and can not accept this part of it as a basis to say that the wicked lost in hell are annulated. The idea proposed by the thought requires that many, many, Bible verse be altered to make the idea possible.

Isaiah 34 certainly is a prophesy of the end days. "The Day of the Lord's vengeance" of course refers to Armageddon. The firey nature of this judgment is such that it cannot refer to any historic battle in ancient Israel.
IT IS NOT A METAPHORIC vision. It is the Revelation of the Lord Jesus Christ and it is a real physical event soon to come upon us all.

Jeremiah 49:18 clearly states that Edom will be destroyed like Sodom & Gomorrah but as we all know, the land still exists.
The desolation and depopulation of Edom became a symbol of God's judgment on the Christ denying nations of the world BUT then we see the Edom appears again as "Babylon" in the Revelation (18). The point is........it was not ANNILIATED. It is still there.

The idea that unbelievers will not experience eternal punishment is attractive to many, yet the Bible offers no support for this belief and Isaiah 34 certainly does not speak to this idea Ken. On the contrary, the Bible offers clear examples that only two alternatives exist upon death—eternity with God in glory or an eternity of suffering and separation from Him.

Rev. 20:10 clearly tells us.................
"the devil who had deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur where the beast and the false prophet were, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever."

Scripture indicates the devil, beast, and false prophet will also be in this lake of fire. Further, the torment will last for eternity. Just as heaven will offer eternal joy for the believer, this lake of fire will offer eternal torment for unbelievers.

Luke 16:19-31 also answers the question of what happens to the unbeliever after death between now and the final lake of fire described in Revelation 20. There we find that a certain rich man had died as an unbeliever and was "in torment" (Luke 16:23). Jesus made it clear that the afterlife offers two options and that both heaven and hell are eternal.

As I said......there are just too many Bible Scriptures that must be ignored or totally removed to make the idea of annihilation work.

Unbiblical? see? you easily use those terms in a discussion?

other translation put it as Teachers.... also read verses prior to that...

Matthew 23
King James Version (KJV)

7 And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi.
8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.
9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.
10 Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.
11 But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant.
12 And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.
Can you read Greek friend? If not you are not in a position to reason out what you "think" you are trying to say.. CLEARLY God has called and equipped teachers...Im not going to quote the scripture because everybody on this forums knows it s true ...but you? You only make yourself seem to be contentious by trying to make this unbiblical point again and again.

Can you read Greek friend? If not you are not in a position to reason out what you "think" you are trying to say.. CLEARLY God has called and equipped teachers...Im not going to quote the scripture because everybody on this forums knows it s true ...but you? You only make yourself seem to be contentious by trying to make this unbiblical point again and again.

Greek?

so as you understand it, it really means Masters..... and not Teachers.... ok.

Greek?

so as you understand it, it really means Masters..... and not Teachers.... ok.
It don't matter..and you are missing the point...the office of teacher is well established in the New Testament...its that simple!
And of course Christ was speaking of the Holy Spirit that would come a be our true teacher...not as man taught in the law. But that still does not negate the office of a "teacher" as ordained by God in His Word.. come on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back