Annihilationism

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, me either.
It seems every body is discussing eternal punishment (by the Lord) versus ahhh I suppose purgatory.
I'm thinking none are correct (only I have the truth):rolleyes: :D
What if eternal torment is self inflicted? The Lord has done everything,..... more that we deserve to bring us forgiveness and reconciliation. When a person rejects the grace of God, and finally sees the cost of his life choices, and knowing that finally the door is shut and bolted, that would be torment. But it is self inflicted torment and it is eternal in duration.
I think that is an interesting discussion to have. C.S. Lewis said that he believed Hell is locked from the inside. But his views on Hell are not exactly "orthodox" either. The trouble I have with the "self-inflicted" view is that it seems to imply the possibility that someone could choose to leave hell as soon as they get tired of the self-inflicted torment. Or that they could stay there, but stop inflicting punishment on themselves. As an arminian, I do agree that people go to hell of their own freewill. But after that decision is made, I don't think they could continue to be free to self-inflict their own punishment. I think the casting into hell itself is the punishment.

I'm thinking none are correct (only I have the truth):rolleyes: :D
:LOL: On hell I am sure many think like that!

Annihilationists = can't see God making people suffer for eternity = good God
Universalists = can't see God making people suffer for eternity = good God

It is safer to err on the side of God being good, as God is good. Everyone just fails imho in grasping that free will is good. Leaving people with their decision is good. The devil will never feel at home in Heaven. God is good to make him and his ilk a home.

There we go. All solved, I am right.

:LOL: On hell I am sure many think like that!

Annihilationists = can't see God making people suffer for eternity = good God
Universalists = can't see God making people suffer for eternity = good God

It is safer to err on the side of God being good, as God is good. Everyone just fails imho in grasping that free will is good. Leaving people with their decision is good. The devil will never feel at home in Heaven. God is good to make him and his ilk a home.

There we go. All solved, I am right.

The idea that free will alone would have the wicked suffer forever only works if people are naturally immortal (otherwise God keeps them alive in order for them to suffer...)

The idea that free will alone would have the wicked suffer forever only works if people are naturally immortal (otherwise God keeps them alive in order for them to suffer...)

The idea that free will alone would have the wicked 'suffer' forever is madness, period.

People are naturally immortal. Not sure what you meaning that it is then justified?

Not sure we on the same page here. Sorry bud, I have not read your other posts.

The idea that free will alone would have the wicked 'suffer' forever is madness, period.

People are naturally immortal. Not sure what you meaning that it is then justified?

Not sure we on the same page here. Sorry bud, I have not read your other posts.

Sorry, I'll try to be clearer.

First, surely people living forever without God would suffer. Even the life we live now, tainted by sin as it is, would be horrible to live forever (in my opinion anyway).

People are not naturally immortal- eternal life is a gift to those who believe (try searching immortality at www.biblegateway.com in any translation and you'll see it always refers to the righteous, and is something we should seek. The idea of the immortality of the soul comes from Plato, not the Bible.

For the record, no, I don't think free will justifies eternal suffering. But I do believe that living forever without God would be eternal suffering (and as I said the only way free will would be an argument for remaining in that state would be if we were naturally immortal).

Sorry, I'll try to be clearer.

First, surely people living forever without God would suffer. Even the life we live now, tainted by sin as it is, would be horrible to live forever (in my opinion anyway).

People are not naturally immortal- eternal life is a gift to those who believe (try searching immortality at www.biblegateway.com in any translation and you'll see it always refers to the righteous, and is something we should seek. The idea of the immortality of the soul comes from Plato, not the Bible.

For the record, no, I don't think free will justifies eternal suffering. But I do believe that living forever without God would be eternal suffering (and as I said the only way free will would be an argument for remaining in that state would be if we were naturally immortal).
Darn it, man! I keep typing three sentences and then your posts pop up saying what I'm saying but better!

Okay, here's three.

Matthew 10:28
And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

This is the starting verse and has been discussed at length. Your contention seems to be that the verse only says that God can, not that God will. So here's a verse that says He will.

Acts 3:23
And it shall be that every soul who does not listen to that prophet shall be destroyed from the people.

The prophet this verse is talking about is Jesus, and the context is "the time of restoring all things" (verse 21), the end times. Now some may want to adjust the definitions of "soul" and "destroyed" in order to fit the ECT doctrine. But the plain meaning is that the soul (psyche, consciousness) will be destroyed (destroyed completely, eliminated). It is not a statement of God's ability. It is a promise of His intent.

And here's another verse that implies the destruction of the soul. Again, not the possibility (could be destroyed), but the certainty ("are destroyed").

Hebrews 10:39
But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who have faith and preserve their souls.

The ECT view is that all souls are preserved, some in heaven and some in hell. This verse says that only the souls of the faithful will be preserved. The implication here is that those without faith have will have their souls destroyed.

I'm glad you don't think I'm a professional perpetuator of false doctrine. Nonetheless, these types of comments are personally insulting, do not add to the discussion, and need to be moderated.

And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people.
(Act 3:23)

I need the soul destroyed in hell Ken................ Not from among the People. I also need the spirit of man destoryed in Hell to make a doctrine.

Also Ken, the Word "Soul" was not used exclusively just for hell.

Act 2:43 And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.

Rom 2:9
Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;

Here souls get tribulation and Anguish Ken..................

Rev 16:3
And the second angel poured out his vial upon the sea; and it became as the blood of a dead man: and every living soul died in the sea.

Here living souls died in the sea Ken............... Not hell or the lake of fire.

How in the world can that happen Ken............. OH MY!!!!!! Is it the soul died then sunk into Hell and got burned up?? What is going on here by the use of the Word soul?

Hebrews 10:39
But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who have faith and preserve their souls.

Jas 1:21 Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.

Yes Ken, the soul is something we work on here and now.............. Not when someone lands both feet in hell............... Compare scriptures KEN!!!!! Your not good enough to get past me on anything.

I'm glad you don't think I'm a professional perpetuator of false doctrine. Nonetheless, these types of comments are personally insulting, do not add to the discussion, and need to be moderated.

Yes, I know Ken, we all need someone to hold our hands don't we.

Now, explain what you did not make clear in the video.................. The smoke of their torment who get thrown in the Lake of fire is Eis Aion, Aion.............

One more thing Ken.............

A persons spirit gets born again............ Basic Christianity 101. We can used the term saved souls........ but once again the bible interchanges soul for people, and the actual soul of a person. We know that our soul needs to be transformed by the Word.

Joh 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Act 7:59 And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.

Steven and Jesus both committed their spirit unto the Lord.................. Not soul as the soul is the mind, will and emotion of man that needs renewed and can be intact in Heaven as you stated.

It's our spirit that connects to the Holy Spirit.............

Act 17:16 Now while Paul waited for them at Athens, his spirit was stirred in him, when he saw the city wholly given to idolatry.

People serve God with their spirit............. it's how God directs us.

Rom 1:9 For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers;

Rom 12:11
Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord;

Man is a spirit being: God puts a spirit in each man.
1Co 2:11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
Zec 12:1 The burden of the word of the LORD for Israel, saith the LORD, which stretcheth forth the heavens, and layeth the foundation of the earth, and formeth the spirit of man within him.

Our spirit man is the life force of our body:

Jas 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

1Co 5:5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

Paul was concerned about what being saved ken???

I have not herd you cover the spirit of man Ken, Paul was not concerned about the soul of the man but believed as in James we can perserve who we are. We are spirit beings, without our spirit our body dies, it's through our spirit the Holy Spirit talks to us, not our soul.

Explain for the rest of the folks Ken your scripture about what happens to the Human spirit in Hell....................................
I would like to hear this knowing you have ZERO scriptures to explain it.

amazing.............. just over the top..

Explain for the rest of the folks Ken your scripture about what happens to the Human spirit in Hell....................................
I would like to hear this knowing you have ZERO scriptures to explain it.

amazing.............. just over the top..

Explain for the rest of the folks Michael your scripture about what happens to the human spirit in Hell...............................
I suspect you also have ZERO scriptures to explain it.

So what should we conclude? That God wasn't clear about what happens to the wicked (body, soul and spirit) after judgement? I don't think so, and I would suggest that you get off your high horse and have another look at all the scripture Ken has quoted!!!

Michael, you were beaten long ago by Ken. You just don't see it. Now you're resorting to saying Jesus never spoke of hell just to avoid saying he has a point...

Explain for the rest of the folks Michael your scripture about what happens to the human spirit in Hell...............................
I suspect you also have ZERO scriptures to explain it.

So what should we conclude? That God wasn't clear about what happens to the wicked (body, soul and spirit) after judgement? I don't think so, and I would suggest that you get off your high horse and have another look at all the scripture Ken has quoted!!!

I have responded to all of Kens scriptures. There is Zero scripture denoting a spirit can be destroyed, even an angelic spirit.

You can all say what you like, but nobody has refuted one scripture I have brought to the table. I am willing to hear and learn, but I need that conclusive evidence that is not there to just decided the soul and spirit get burned up....... The flesh body never makes it to hell, it stays in the ground.

Now if my understanding of a scripture is messed up and I have not taken the time to compare scriptures then please bring it up.

I have responded to all of Kens scriptures. There is Zero scripture denoting a spirit can be destroyed, even an angelic spirit.

You can all say what you like, but nobody has refuted one scripture I have brought to the table. I am willing to hear and learn, but I need that conclusive evidence that is not there to just decided the soul and spirit get burned up....... The flesh body never makes it to hell, it stays in the ground.

Now if my understanding of a scripture is messed up and I have not taken the time to compare scriptures then please bring it up.
Does this mean you give up?

So you suppose that part of a person is immortal- do you have any scripture to prove that?

(on another subject, I reported your previous message to Ken for how insulting and condescending it was. You might want to think about toning it down a little, and remembering that a fellow human being is going to read your response!)

By the way, you haven't answered my own post showing that the wicked fully die in the lake of fire.

I think that is an interesting discussion to have. C.S. Lewis said that he believed Hell is locked from the inside. But his views on Hell are not exactly "orthodox" either. The trouble I have with the "self-inflicted" view is that it seems to imply the possibility that someone could choose to leave hell as soon as they get tired of the self-inflicted torment. Or that they could stay there, but stop inflicting punishment on themselves. As an arminian, I do agree that people go to hell of their own freewill. But after that decision is made, I don't think they could continue to be free to self-inflict their own punishment. I think the casting into hell itself is the punishment.
I have not widely read CS Lewis.
I differ in any event insofar as if 'The Gates of Hell' refer to literal gates and not 'seat of authority', then those gates/doors would be locked from the outside not the inside.

My hope would be that everyone on this thread (as we should continually) seek God's will not just doctrinally before speaking. Let us please God instead of ourselves. Discussion from God can take believers into His many wonders. It is in him that all spiritual answers as truth come. Real knowing is, "For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart" (Hebrews 4:12).

The power in the living word from the living Spirit of God is where the real spiritual understanding becomes life.

It is late so I am off, but God bless you.
No, I don't believe you are "off"...just retiring for the remainder of your night;)
It is or it should be clear to even the most deeply entrenched combatant here that you are trying to bring peace to this thread.
As Jesus said, "blessed are the peace makers...."
Be blessed Olivia.

Hey guys, I wanted to discuss Annihilationism.

To be clear, I’m not trying to start any argument in this thread. This is a topic that has interested me because when I started to read my Bible I was having trouble understanding where exactly eternal conscious torment was taken from. So, I ended up researching it and found that there was such a belief as Annihilationsim. Now, I’m not saying that I believe this, but I do feel like there is a fair biblical basis for it. What do you guys think?

Not only is there a fair Biblical case for it, I believe the Bible explicitly teaches it

So you suppose that part of a person is immortal- do you have any scripture to prove that?

<<Snip>>
How does
Gen 1:26 Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth."
fit your requirement?
What part of us is in the image of God?...just asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back