An old magician's trick!

“…lest Satan should take advantage of us; for we are not ignorant of his devices.” (2 Corinthians 2:11)

There is an old magicians’ trick called misdirection. With it, a magician distracts his audience and gets them to focus on something unimportant (perhaps with his left hand), while he is setting up the real trick with his right hand. And then — du-du-duuuuhh!!! — the bunny appears, seemingly from nowhere. (OMGOSH, DID YOU SEE THAT??!!) Wikipedia defines this as a form of deception.

Dude, in the same way, the “old magician” (satan) is still up to his old tricks. And distraction is one of his fave things to do. Sometimes I call it “the tyranny of the immediate.” Let’s say that I have decided to spend more time with Jesus. And then all hell seems to break loose and many things “just have to be dealt with.” Or maybe I get pulled once again into the vortex of Facebook for an hour or more. Or TV, or pulp fiction, or... And before I know it, a week has gone by and I have spent little or no time with the Lover of my soul — the One who created me from nothing and redeemed me with His own blood. And what is my excuse? Uh…well…stuff happens.

“…the people that know their God shall be strong, and do exploits.” (Daniel 11:32)

What an amazing, awesome time to be alive! As the Light and darkness intensify, and as we prepare for the Son of Man to return, God is desiring to pour out unparalleled anointing and blessings on those who are paying the price to really know Him. What a tragic thing it would be to look back on this time and realize that, like Esau, we traded away our amazing inheritance for a bowlful of unsatisfying sludge and distraction.

Rise up, O men of God!
Have done with lesser things.
Give heart and mind and soul and strength
To serve the King of kings.

Rise up, O men of God!
The kingdom tarries long.
Bring in the day of brotherhood
And end the night of wrong.

Rise up, O men of God!
The church for you doth wait,
Her strength unequal to her task;
Rise up and make her great!