An honest question to cessationists

I find it of inestimable and edifying value to pray and read with the Holy Spirit and I don't need tongues to do it. Go figure. Thank you God that there is no typing in tongues.
My 2 cents.
Hey silk if you have seen some of my typing when I used the small phone it read like it was tongues. lol
Have a blessed day

Tongues are not to be spoken unless there is an interpreter. Tongues is for the believer alone, not in public. But I don't want to get into it. Just my

1870_two_cents_rev.jpg

1Co_14:22
Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

1Co_14:22
Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

Funny isn't it, that so many believers don't believe?

Actually, it's more strange when people think they believe more than others. Who is the unbeliever when you are using it in private? Silk <-------curious.

There is no need for an unbeliever to witness our prayer language. It is private. Remember, Paul describes two separate manifestations of tongues:

1. From God to man. Holy Spirit delivers messages to the Body of Christ.
2. From Holy Spirit through man to God. He speaks to God of us and of things concerning us, and of things that we are concerned about.

There is no need for an unbeliever to witness our prayer language. It is private. Remember, Paul describes two separate manifestations of tongues:

1. From God to man. Holy Spirit delivers messages to the Body of Christ.
2. From Holy Spirit through man to God. He speaks to God of us and of things concerning us, and of things that we are concerned about.

I understand, already, your position regarding this subject. And I confess, I am confused as to why others, who I have no doubt are heartfelt, sincere Christians, as well versed in scripture as yourself, cherry pick what they want in scripture to back a preconcieved notion or understanding. I have come to some of my understandings late because I never really understood that all scripture has to agree. For me. Because it is important to me that I get it right for myself, in the here and now. Your version of tongues in scripture does not all agree. Tongues in scripture is described, not as you hear it today, but as known languages that are unknown to the speaker. Nothing Paul says discounts that. An interpeter is a translator of known languages. It makes no sense to me that the Holy Spirit would need me as a conduit to speak in an unknown language to God for me in my prayers. When I heard the voice of God, He told me to go out and understand His Word - to find His people. Having me babble would be contradictory to that. God knows what is in my heart, already. My prayers are to let Him know I know. I accept that your needs may be different than mine. I accept your use of tongues. I object to those who use it seeming to insist that this makes you more spiritually advanced. Maybe you are but it's not my position to judge that - only to check where my own is.

Like the 3 who went into the furnace, before they went they said - maybe God will save us, maybe not. In this case, He did. He did not intercede when Christians were burned to light Nero's dinner. No one says that the 3 had more faith and that's why some are saved and others not in the physical realm. Some believers get sick, some die, some are healed - some believers speak in tongues, some don't. It's ALL God's work - not yours or mine. And I'm fairly certain He doesn't work on demand. That's why snake handling/poison drinking churches are condemned for putting God to test. One poster, long gone, said fellow inmates tried to poison him with bleach but he survived thanks to God. I believe that happened. I believe God can do anything and everything, absolutely. He does it - not some human being "instilled" with His Authority. And His purposes are not all revealed to us on this earthly plain. If I lay my hands on you and you are healed, I'm a liar if I claim this work as my own.
Dan 3:16
Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, answered and said to the king, O Nebuchadnezzar, we are not careful to answer thee in this matter.
Dan 3:17
If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king.
Dan 3:18
But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up.

I understand, already, your position regarding this subject. And I confess, I am confused as to why others, who I have no doubt are heartfelt, sincere Christians, as well versed in scripture as yourself, cherry pick what they want in scripture to back a preconcieved notion or understanding. I have come to some of my understandings late because I never really understood that all scripture has to agree. For me. Because it is important to me that I get it right for myself, in the here and now. Your version of tongues in scripture does not all agree. Tongues in scripture is described, not as you hear it today, but as known languages that are unknown to the speaker. Nothing Paul says discounts that. An interpeter is a translator of known languages. It makes no sense to me that the Holy Spirit would need me as a conduit to speak in an unknown language to God for me in my prayers. When I heard the voice of God, He told me to go out and understand His Word - to find His people. Having me babble would be contradictory to that. God knows what is in my heart, already. My prayers are to let Him know I know. I accept that your needs may be different than mine. I accept your use of tongues. I object to those who use it seeming to insist that this makes you more spiritually advanced. Maybe you are but it's not my position to judge that - only to check where my own is.

I never cherry pick. I have no need to. Tongues is described in scripture just as I have said.

Tongues is not babbling. It is communicating, either God to man or His Spirit through man's born again spirit directly to God.
You don't have to make sense of it. It is a blessed gift from God, and His heart is blessed to edify His children in this way. Nothing is contradictory about it. It has nothing to do with one's spiritual maturity.

Like the 3 who went into the furnace, before they went they said - maybe God will save us, maybe not. In this case, He did. He did not intercede when Christians were burned to light Nero's dinner. No one says that the 3 had more faith and that's why some are saved and others not in the physical realm. Some believers get sick, some die, some are healed - some believers speak in tongues, some don't. It's ALL God's work - not yours or mine. And I'm fairly certain He doesn't work on demand. That's why snake handling/poison drinking churches are condemned for putting God to test. One poster, long gone, said fellow inmates tried to poison him with bleach but he survived thanks to God. I believe that happened. I believe God can do anything and everything, absolutely. He does it - not some human being "instilled" with His Authority. And His purposes are not all revealed to us on this earthly plain. If I lay my hands on you and you are healed, I'm a liar if I claim this work as my own.
Dan 3:16
Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, answered and said to the king, O Nebuchadnezzar, we are not careful to answer thee in this matter.
Dan 3:17
If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king.
Dan 3:18
But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up.

That is not 100 percent correct silk. It was NOT maybe He can or maybe he cant. They were sure God would deliver them BUT they were being very bold unto this king and said even if our God could not deliver us we still will not serve your God. They knew God would and wanted this king to know that even if their God was not able to do so they still aint gonna serve your God...

I would like to ask you a question Silk, Why is it you seem to constantly bring up others claiming they have more faith then others and God working on demand. No one has ever said God works on demand when they were speaking about God honoring His proomises. This is how things end up all twisted.
Blessings

Last edited:
That is not 100 percent correct silk. It was NOT maybe He can or maybe he cant. They were sure God would deliver them BUT they were being very bold unto this king and said even if our God could not deliver us we still will not serve your God. They knew God would and wanted this king to know that even if their God was not able to do so they still aint gonna serve your God...

I would like to ask you a question Silk, Why is it you seem to constantly bring up others claiming they have more faith then others and God working on demand. No one has ever said God works on demand when they were speaking about God honoring His proomises. This is how things end up all twisted.
Blessings
Jim my brother I need to correct you in one point. Please take another look at Daniel 3:17-18(NKJV) "if that is the case, our God is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and He will deliver us from your hand O king. But if not, let it be known to you, O king, that we will not serve your gods, nor will we worship the gold image which you have set up."

They are not saying, "even if He is not able", they are saying that "even if He doesn't". They already said that He is able and we're confident of this ....the boldness to the king is in them saying, "King, even if our God doesn't deliver us we will not bow down and serve your gods."

Jim my brother I need to correct you in one point. Please take another look at Daniel 3:17-18(NKJV) "if that is the case, our God is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and He will deliver us from your hand O king. But if not, let it be known to you, O king, that we will not serve your gods, nor will we worship the gold image which you have set up."

They are not saying, "even if He is not able", they are saying that "even if He doesn't". They already said that He is able and we're confident of this ....the boldness to the king is in them saying, "King, even if our God doesn't deliver us we will not bow down and serve your gods."

Well if you say so ! lolo
My point is they knew God could and would.
They added even if OUR GOD COULD NOT OR WAS NOT ABLE TO or another words did not hasve the power to we still wont bow....
Blessings

Well if you say so ! lolo
My point is they knew God could and would.
They added even if OUR GOD COULD NOT OR WAS NOT ABLE TO or another words did not hasve the power to we still wont bow....
Blessings
Jim, that is where I believe you are mistaken. As I said before, the text doesn't say that they added, if God could not or was not able, but even if He didn't, as in even He chose not to do so.

I want to know why you think it says what you say as opposed to what I claim.

Jim, that is where I believe you are mistaken. As I said before, the text doesn't say that they added, if God could not or was not able, but even if He didn't, as in even He chose not to do so.

I want to know why you think it says what you say as opposed to what I claim.
Mykuhl notice that I did not also say they added. From reading many translations and books and all the teachings on this over the last 36 years this is what I have found. The ones I have learned from have spent more time in this then me of course and use resources that I do not have. All I can say is I believe this to be true from what I was shown.

I used to think of it in the same way you are but once I was shown this in this way it changed my thinking. Either way God did deliver them. ; )

Mykuhl notice that I did not also say they added. From reading many translations and books and all the teachings on this over the last 36 years this is what I have found. The ones I have learned from have spent more time in this then me of course and use resources that I do not have. All I can say is I believe this to be true from what I was shown.

I used to think of it in the same way you are but once I was shown this in this way it changed my thinking. Either way God did deliver them. ; )
Ok, I will admit that one could come to the conclusion you are making with the text as it stands. But I just don't seem right to me.

Back