All the Fullness

Saturday, June 18, 2016, 10:55 a.m. – The Lord Jesus put in mind the song “Oh, To Be Like Thee.” Speak, Lord, your words to my heart. I read Ephesians 3 (NIV).

One Body in Christ (vv. 1-6)

For this reason I, Paul, the prisoner of Christ Jesus for the sake of you Gentiles—

Surely you have heard about the administration of God’s grace that was given to me for you, that is, the mystery made known to me by revelation, as I have already written briefly. In reading this, then, you will be able to understand my insight into the mystery of Christ, which was not made known to people in other generations as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to God’s holy apostles and prophets. This mystery is that through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and sharers together in the promise in Christ Jesus.

Before Jesus Christ, God the Son, gave his life up on a cross for our sins, we had two primary classifications of people on the earth. The first was Jew. The Jews were God’s chosen people up until the time of Christ’s death and resurrection and ascension into heaven. The other was Gentile, which basically covered all non-Jews. Yet, when Jesus died for our sins, he made the two one through faith in him. Whether Jew or non-Jew by birth, we are now both reconciled to God through faith in Jesus Christ, and we are one body (See: Eph. 2:14-18).

As well, just because someone is born a Jew, it does not make him or her Israel. “It is not the children by physical descent who are God’s children, but it is the children of the promise who are regarded as Abraham’s offspring” (See: Ro. 9:6b-8). “There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise” (See: Gal. 3:26-29). “Now you, brothers and sisters, like Isaac, are children of promise” (See: Gal. 4:22-31).

What this is saying is that the Jews who do not believe in Jesus Christ are not the children of promise. They are not God’s chosen people. Those who believe in Jesus Christ are the chosen and the called of God. We are Abraham’s descendants. We are true Israel. Jews who don’t believe in Jesus Christ are no different from any other non-believers, including the Arab nations. The physical city of Jerusalem is also no longer God’s Holy City, for it is of Hagar, because she is in slavery with her children. The body of Christ, his church, is now his Holy City, the Jerusalem that is from above (See: Gal. 4:22-31).

If a Jew does not believe in Jesus Christ, and if he rejects Jesus Christ as his Lord and Messiah, then he is not Israel, and he is not heir of the promise, and he is not Abraham’s offspring regarding the promise God made with Abraham. “Who is the liar? It is whoever denies that Jesus is the Christ. Such a person is the antichrist—denying the Father and the Son” (1 Jn. 2:22). So, if a Jew denies that Jesus is the Christ, then he or she is antichrist. Yet, to all people, whether Jew or Gentile by birth, if they trust in Jesus Christ to be Lord (owner-master) of their lives, and they have been crucified with Christ in death to sin, and have been resurrected with Christ in newness of life, they are one in Christ, no matter their physical birth or nationality.

Through the Church (vv. 7-13)

I became a servant of this gospel by the gift of God’s grace given me through the working of his power. Although I am less than the least of all the Lord’s people, this grace was given me: to preach to the Gentiles the boundless riches of Christ, and to make plain to everyone the administration of this mystery, which for ages past was kept hidden in God, who created all things. His intent was that now, through the church, the manifold wisdom of God should be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly realms, according to his eternal purpose that he accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord. In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence. I ask you, therefore, not to be discouraged because of my sufferings for you, which are your glory.

What is the gospel of Jesus Christ? It is not just an escape from hell (eternal punishment) and the promise of heaven when we die. It is also not a free license to continue in sin without guilt and without remorse, believing we have heaven guaranteed and that God requires nothing of us – no repentance, no submission and no obedience. The gospel message is that we are all born into sin, without God, without hope, and destined for eternal damnation. We all come up short of attaining God’s divine approval in our own flesh. We can do nothing to earn or to deserve our own salvation. It was while we were yet sinners that Christ died for us. It is only by God’s grace to us in sending his only begotten Son to die for us, and through faith in his Son Jesus Christ that we can be forgiven of our sins and have the hope of eternal life with God, beginning now and forevermore.

Yet, Jesus died that we might die to sin and live to righteousness (1 Pet. 2:24). He died that we might no longer live for ourselves, but for him who gave himself up for us (2 Co. 5:15). He died that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who walk not according to the flesh, but who conduct our lives (lifestyles) according to the Spirit. If we live according to the flesh, we will die without Christ and without hope of eternal life. But, if by the Spirit we are putting to death the deeds of the flesh, we will live with Christ eternally (See: Ro. 8:1-14). Jesus said if anyone would come after him, he must deny self and take up his cross daily (die daily to sin and self) and follow (obey) him. He said if we hold on to our lives (of living for sin and self) we will lose them (for eternity). But, if we lose our lives (die with Christ to sin and self), we will gain eternal life (See: Lu. 9:23-25).

Basically, 1 Pet. 2:24 sums it up when it says that Jesus died that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. This is the essence of the gospel message, and it is definitely the message Paul preached, and that we must preach, too, for we, the church, are to be the light of the world and the salt of the earth. We are to be his servants and witnesses in taking the gospel message throughout the earth, and in making disciples of Christ of people of all nations, baptizing them and teaching them to obey everything that Christ commanded his followers (See Ac. 1:8; Matt. 28:18-20).

So, what is the church? It is not a building. It is not a business. And, it is not a corporation under the federal government of any nation. It is a living organism with Jesus Christ as its head, not with humans as its head. It is the people of God, the body of Christ, the redeemed of the Lord. And, it doesn’t matter where we meet, or how often, or on what day. If we are truly gathered in the name of Jesus, he is there among us and together we make up the church. The early church met daily in the temple courts and from house to house. So, we are to not forsake gathering together with the body of Christ, though I believe God is calling his true church, his body, to come out from the institutional church, which is not, of itself, the true church of God. I believe Jesus wants his true church to come out from under man and government as heads over the church, and to make Jesus her only head.

Established in Love (vv. 14-21)

For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

We need to be strengthened in our inner beings with power through God’s Spirit, especially during these perilous times on the earth when so many are preaching a false gospel, and so many are deserting the true faith as established by Christ and his NT apostles. So many who call themselves followers of Christ are really followers of man, and are partakers in the delicacies the world is offering, instead of feasting on the riches of God’s grace and his righteousness. We are being opposed every day. The gospel is under fire, and so many are diluting it in favor of the acceptance of human beings so as not to offend anyone.

We need to truly grasp the depth of God’s love for us. What loving parent would allow his or her children to do just whatever they want, knowing what harm might come to them? God’s love and grace is not a free license to sin. God’s grace, which brings salvation, teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives while we wait for Christ’s return (See: Tit. 2:11-14). He cares about us so much that he will discipline us in order that we may “share His holiness. All discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful; yet to those who have been trained by it, afterwards it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness” (See: Heb. 12:3-11).

The goal is that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

Oh, to Be Like Thee, Blessed Redeemer

Thomas O. Chisholm / W. J. Kirkpatrick

Oh, to be like Thee! blessèd Redeemer,
This is my constant longing and prayer;
Gladly I’ll forfeit all of earth’s treasures,
Jesus, Thy perfect likeness to wear.

Oh, to be like Thee! full of compassion,
Loving, forgiving, tender and kind,
Helping the helpless, cheering the fainting,
Seeking the wandering sinner to find.

O to be like Thee! lowly in spirit,
Holy and harmless, patient and brave;
Meekly enduring cruel reproaches,
Willing to suffer others to save.

O to be like Thee! while I am pleading,
Pour out Thy Spirit, fill with Thy love;
Make me a temple meet for Thy dwelling,
Fit me for life and Heaven above.

Oh, to be like Thee! Oh, to be like Thee,
Blessèd Redeemer, pure as Thou art;
Come in Thy sweetness, come in Thy fullness;
Stamp Thine own image deep on my heart.

Hello SueJLove

Using the KJVand NKJV translations, I know the scriptures you have referred to are the Word of God; however, my bible studies do not lead me to see the Church as having replaced Yahweh's Chosen People. The following scriptures are why I consider the House of Israel and the House Judah to be Yahweh's Chosen People.

Hosea 1:9, 10 (Jeremiah 3:8) The House of Israel broke their covenant with Yahweh.

Then said God, Call his name Loammi: for ye are not my people, and I will not be your God.

Hosea 1:10
Yet the number of the children of Israel shall be as the sand of the sea, which cannot be measured nor numbered; and it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people, there it shall be said unto them, Ye are the sons of the living God.

Jeremiah 3:8
And I saw, when for all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah feared not, but went and played the harlot also.

Yahweh did not divorce the House of Judah, as explained in Psalm 89.

Psalm 89:34
My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips.

Matthew 26:28 A New Covenant!

For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins

Ephesians 2:19-20

Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; And
are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

In Romans 11:26-27, Apostle Paul prayed for all Israel (House of Israel and House of Judah)to be saved. The Body of Believers are saved.

There are numerous scriptures in the OT detailing how Yeshua will answer prayers for Israel, restore, fully save, heal, and bring comfort to Israel using Gentiles.

Col 2:14 Away with the curse.

Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Isaiah 62:12

And they shall call them, The holy people, The redeemed of the LORD: and thou shalt be called, Sought out, A city not forsaken.

Isaiah 62:7

And give him no rest, till he establish, and till he make Jerusalem a praise in the earth.

Isaiah 61:6

But ye shall be named the Priests of the LORD: men shall call you the Ministers of our God: ye shall eat the riches of the Gentiles, and in their glory shall ye boast yourselves.

Isaiah 40:2

Speak ye comfortably to Jerusalem, and cry unto her, that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned: for she hath received of the LORD'S hand double for all her sins.

I posted this because my bible studies do not conclude the Church has replaced God's Chosen People. The Church prays for Israel.

I realize your bible studies differ and you have been studious concluding a differing stance.

Hello SueJLove

Using the KJVand NKJV translations, I know the scriptures you have referred to are the Word of God; however, my bible studies do not lead me to see the Church as having replaced Yahweh's Chosen People. The following scriptures are why I consider the House of Israel and the House Judah to be Yahweh's Chosen People.

Hosea 1:9, 10 (Jeremiah 3:8) The House of Israel broke their covenant with Yahweh.

Then said God, Call his name Loammi: for ye are not my people, and I will not be your God.

Hosea 1:10
Yet the number of the children of Israel shall be as the sand of the sea, which cannot be measured nor numbered; and it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people, there it shall be said unto them, Ye are the sons of the living God.

Jeremiah 3:8
And I saw, when for all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah feared not, but went and played the harlot also.

Yahweh did not divorce the House of Judah, as explained in Psalm 89.

Psalm 89:34
My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips.

Matthew 26:28 A New Covenant!

For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins

Ephesians 2:19-20

Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; And
are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

In Romans 11:26-27, Apostle Paul prayed for all Israel (House of Israel and House of Judah)to be saved. The Body of Believers are saved.

There are numerous scriptures in the OT detailing how Yeshua will answer prayers for Israel, restore, fully save, heal, and bring comfort to Israel using Gentiles.

Col 2:14 Away with the curse.

Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Isaiah 62:12

And they shall call them, The holy people, The redeemed of the LORD: and thou shalt be called, Sought out, A city not forsaken.

Isaiah 62:7

And give him no rest, till he establish, and till he make Jerusalem a praise in the earth.

Isaiah 61:6

But ye shall be named the Priests of the LORD: men shall call you the Ministers of our God: ye shall eat the riches of the Gentiles, and in their glory shall ye boast yourselves.

Isaiah 40:2

Speak ye comfortably to Jerusalem, and cry unto her, that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned: for she hath received of the LORD'S hand double for all her sins.

I posted this because my bible studies do not conclude the Church has replaced God's Chosen People. The Church prays for Israel.

I realize your bible studies differ and you have been studious concluding a differing stance.

So, what do you do with these verses?

~ "For not all who are descended from Israel are Israel. Nor because they are his descendants are they all Abraham’s children. On the contrary, ‘It is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned.’ In other words, it is not the children by physical descent who are God’s children, but it is the children of the promise who are regarded as Abraham’s offspring." ~ Romans 9:6b-8

~ “His purpose was to create in himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace, and in one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility... For through him we both have access to the Father by one Spirit.” ~ Eph. 2:14-18

~ “For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, as it is written: “Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law… The promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. Scripture does not say "and to seeds," meaning many people, but "and to your seed," MEANING ONE PERSON, who is Christ.” ~ Gal. 3:10, 16

~ “So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.” ~ Gal. 3:26-29

~ “For it is written that Abraham had two sons, one by the slave woman and the other by the free woman. His son by the slave woman was born according to the flesh, but his son by the free woman was born as the result of a divine promise. These things are being taken figuratively: The women represent two covenants. One covenant is from Mount Sinai and bears children who are to be slaves: This is Hagar. Now Hagar stands for Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present city of Jerusalem, because she is in slavery with her children. But the Jerusalem that is above is free, and she is our mother…

“Now you, brothers and sisters, like Isaac, are children of promise. At that time the son born according to the flesh persecuted the son born by the power of the Spirit. IT IS THE SAME NOW. But what does Scripture say? “Get rid of the slave woman and her son, for the slave woman’s son will never share in the inheritance with the free woman’s son.” Therefore, brothers and sisters, we are not children of the slave woman, but of the free woman.” ~ Gal. 4:22-31

~ "Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.” ~ Matt. 12:30

~ “Who is the liar? It is whoever denies that Jesus is the Christ. Such a person is the antichrist—denying the Father and the Son.” ~ 1 Jn. 2:22

~ “As far as the gospel is concerned, they are enemies for your sake; but as far as election is concerned, they are loved on account of the patriarchs, for God’s gifts and his call are irrevocable. Just as you who were at one time disobedient to God have now received mercy as a result of their disobedience, so they too have now become disobedient in order that they too may now receive mercy as a result of God’s mercy to you. For God has bound everyone over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all.” ~ Ro. 11:28-32

I know Apostle Paul was expert concerning OT Scriptures, even the prophecy of Messiah's first coming (Daniel 9:25-26).

Some OT Scriptures Apostle Paul was familiar with. I have tons of these scriptures. There are too many to post.

Zephaniah 3:17

The LORD thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing.

Ezekiel 36:24

For I will take you from among the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, and will bring you into your own land.

Ezekiel 36:25

Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

Isaiah 11:10

And in that day there shall be a root of Jesse, which shall stand for an ensign of the people; to it shall the Gentiles seek: and his rest shall be glorious.

Isaiah 11:11

And it shall come to pass in that day, that the Lord shall set his hand again the second time to recover the remnant of his people, which shall be left, from Assyria, and from Egypt, and from Pathros, and from Cush, and from Elam, and from Shinar, and from Hamath, and from the islands of the sea.

Repeatedly, Yahweh has said He will save a remnant of His Chosen People.

Romans 10:1

Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.

Apostle Paul is familiar with Yahweh's Word, a remnant will be saved.

Concerning Galations 4:22-31, in his sermon, Chuck Smith pointed out Apostle Paul was quoting from Isaiah 54 (Gal. 4:22-25).

Quoting Chuch Smith, "Now, this is quoting from Isaiah 54, and it is a scripture that relates to Israel when God restores upon Israel the national favor and blessing again. And as they then look back, they will see that God has brought forth many more children from the Gentile nations than from Israel. The weeping, the chagrin that will come to them when they realize that they have rejected God's Messiah. And they see how that from among the Gentiles, God has brought forth these millions to believe. And so, the barren has brought forth more children than she which had a husband, the nation of Israel. And so, those that are of the promise. Those that are of the Spirit contrasted to those that are of the flesh."

With the scriptures you have posted, I continue to study them. I consider how Apostle Paul was deeply familiar with OT Scripture and how he prayed for Israel to be saved. So far, I have not learned that the Church has replaced the Chosen People, the remnant.

Back