1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Advice for 17 year old daughter

Discussion in 'Marriage and Relationships' started by Tall_geena, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Advice for 17 year old daughter

My daughter is 17 and she and her wonderful new husband just married last week. They are currently living in our basement to save money for a house of their own (renting just doesn't make sense). Knowing what I know now, I wish I would saved more myself, especuially when I was younger. How much of that 'savings' mentality should I be mentioing to her? or, should I take a more reserved, less verbal approach and let her be and let her make her own mistakes?
  2. Personally I would give her as much good advice as she will hear. "Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it"- I don't no the author on that one. Anyway here is a link to a Christ centered website that specializes
    in financial advice based on biblical principle:
    Crown Financial Ministries
  3. I knew a Pastor once and this is what he did.
    He charged rent.
    This was his way of keeping them responsible.
    When it was time for them to leave, he gave every penny of that money back.
    He knew he would make a better bank than they would. :)

4. What a wonderful surprise for them! That's such a blessing. (In disguise, for them!)
  5. Thank you. Charging rent is a great idea, except that I don't want to seem greedy and perhaps tarnish the great relationship I have with her. You see, i call her my oldest at 17, but I have a 19 year old daughter, of which I do not speak to. And, my 17 year old and I have so much in common, now that she's married, I almost look at her as more of my sister than daughter. We are both extremely tall (i am 6 foot 2 and she's 6 foot 1) and we are both married to shorter husbands (like mother like daughter? lol) I have always been so mousy because of my height, and my daughter walks around like a proud gazelle. Sometimes I think I learn from her. I just wish she wouldnt always have to buy that 8th pair of sandals, or waste her money on stupid stuff.
  6. When we're young and foolish we think we know what's best and won't listen to anyone else. I doubt that young people are any different now as when I was young.
  7. It is always amazing how much smarter our parents seem when we start to mature.:eek:
  8. I agree with the idea of having them pay rent. It does not need to be as much as a normal rent of an apartment but to help them learn responsbility and such is a great help.

My 23 year old son lives with my parents right now. he just graduated from college and got a job in the area that they live.

My parents are charging him rent. They are doing exactly what is mentioned they are putting it aside and when he goes to move on in life, they will bless him back with it. They want to be able to help him but not enable him.

9. Whatever you do, I would pound it into their heads that they need to save money. I'm 19, and I always want as much advice on everything I can get. Not getting advice about things in high school made me pretty ticked off. Getting the right advice would have caused me to do it a whole lot differently.

Advice is never a bad thing. Pound it into their skulls as often as possible.