Adultery :s Mark 10:11

Discussion in 'Marriage and Relationships' started by Where is the Messiah, Mar 13, 2014.

1. #1 Where is the Messiah, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2014
    Mark 10:11 states:
    He said to them, “Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery against her;

So does this mean every person in the church that has remarried is committing adultery?

2. #2 Ravindran, Mar 13, 2014
    Interesting question :) I think I have some kind of perspective to look at it.. I will admit.. It is something inspired by listening to R.C. Sproul.. He gave a very good explanation of looking at the commandments.. Around adultery.. The commandment is very simple "Do not commit adultery". Now adultery here is a very big umbrella.. It applies to all commandments.. Some are very serious and some are not.. For example, Jesus said if you look at someone with lust, then you have committed adultery.. Many people interpret that the severity of looking at someone with lust is same as rape! But that is not what Jesus is saying.. Adultery covers a very wide range of sins.. So coming to divorce, it is a kind of adultery.. Where it exactly fits in the umbrella is something for which people will have differing ideas.

In a nutshell, through divorce we break the commandment of Lord with respect to adultery.. So yes.. Everyone who has divorced except for the exceptions, they have committed adultery..

Where is the Messiah likes this.
  3. #3 MichaelH, Mar 13, 2014
    Jesus never said whoever divorces His wife and marries another commits adultery.

Read it again, (This time use Mark not Matthew)

Read the question that sparked the conversation.
    use a better translation.

Jesus told the women at the well, "thou has said well for you have had 5 husbands the the one your with now is not your husband."
    (John 4:18)

Jesus validated all 5 as real Husbands, it's the one she was shacked up with that concerned him.

Still don't get it, then post.

4. Hi Ravindran, thanks for sharing! When you say some are very serious and some are not, are you speaking of sin, or commandments? Either way it's an interesting perspective. Especially when you mention many people looking at the severity of lust being the same as rape. I would have to agree, since Jesus said Matthew 18:9.
    I also think that all sin should be taken seriously, because the cost of any sin is death. Unless Christ did not shed his blood for all sin, then I would have to assume that all sin is equal, as far as penalty goes. Cheers!

5. #5 Where is the Messiah, Mar 13, 2014
    You're right he never said it in Matthew 10:11 it was Mark 10:11. I meant to type that, but I made a mistake.
    [[I've changed Matthew to Mark - HMS]]

Nonetheless, he did say:
    "Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her" NIV Life Application
    "And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her." KJV

The question that sparked it was when they asked if it was lawful to divorce their wife. Jesus says that Moses wrote this only because their hearts were to hardened to forgive. This to me says that even though you are allowed to divorce your wife, it is better to forgive, because having a hardened heart would not be considered a Godly attribute.

Yes he is saying she had 5 husbands. He wasn't just concerned with the adultery she was committing with the guy she was currently with, he was concerned with all of her sin. Every guy that she was with after her first husband was a sin, that's probably why she was basically trying to hide it from Him.

6. #6 Abdicate, Mar 13, 2014
    That's not what Mark 10:11 says... I think you posted the wrong verse. :) [[I fixed it - HMS]]

But on the subject of the law, Jesus was telling the Pharisees that the Law demand perfection and skirting the borders of the Law is still breaking the Law. This is why Jesus said this because the Pharisees were dumping their wives for younger women - just like today. Jesus said that the decree to divorce was given to Moses because of the hardness of their hearts instead of focusing on the perfection required by the Law. The Pharisee lowered the requirements of the Law so they could keep it - even though it was a lie in God's eyes. Jesus was just re-elevating the Law to its proper place. The purpose of the Law is to get man to realize he cannot keep it and will fail miserably over and over, hence the requirement for the yearly sacrifice, which only covered the sin and not removed it. Jesus, God Almighty, saw the futility of trying to keep the Law and did it Himself for us in the flesh among temptation just like us and never sinned. The wages for sin is death and the Love of God saw how unfair it was for us because we're already born in sin. So again, He paid the price of sin. His innocence was passed to us and our guilt was passed to Him. When that happened and you accept His eternal gift then you are dead to the Law. But for the sake of witnessing to the lost (those still under the Law) we must live a Spirit-filled life abstaining from all appearance of evil, which the church fails miserably, just like the Pharisees.

7. I was in response when your other posts came up... sorry about that... I still hope what I said made sense.

8. #8 MichaelH, Mar 13, 2014
    Jesus never said, anyone that divorces and marries another commits adultery.

I was tied and did not explain well.

There are two Greek words used here.

The KJV gets it most correct which you posted, though still mistranslates it once in Matthew.

The question they asked him, Was it lawful to divorce ........... And Put away.

Divorce and Put away are two different Greek Words that mean two different things.

Adultery is the act of having sex with someone or marrying someone while married to another.

The practice was to ........

1) collect more than one wife.
    2) Put away a wife for accused wrongs, but not release the wife with a bill of document of divorcement. Without that document she was not free, and could be stoned for Adultery

And they said, Moses suffered to write a bill of divorcement, and to put her away. And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept.
    (Mar 10:4-5)
    Deu 22:28 If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found;
    Deu 22:29 Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days.
    `And it was said, That whoever may put away his wife, let him give to her a writing of divorce; but I--I say to you, that whoever may put away his wife, save for the matter of whoredom, doth make her to commit adultery; and whoever may marry her who hath been put away doth commit adultery.
    (Mat 5:31-32)

Putting away was a practice twisted and used to keep control of the women. Jesus said you need to give her that writing of divorce and not just put her away.

Put away..... apoluō Means to separate, hide away
    Writing of divorce ...................apostasion

Jer 3:8 And I saw, when for all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah feared not, but went and played the harlot also.

Putting away, and bill of divorcement are two different things. You have to give that bill of divorcement, you just can't keep and control.

Moses had a precept for just putting away. It was just a special condition.

Deu 24:1 When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house.
    Deu 24:2 And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife.

God hates just putting away.

And did not he make one? Yet had he the residue of the spirit. And wherefore one? That he might seek a godly seed. Therefore take heed to your spirit, and let none deal treacherously against the wife of his youth. For the LORD, the God of Israel, saith that he hateth putting away: for one covereth violence with his garment, saith the LORD of hosts: therefore take heed to your spirit, that ye deal not treacherously.
    (Mal 2:15-16)

9. I was referring to sin.. There is absolutely no question that one single sin is enough to separate us from God.. That is purely because of the nature of God.. He is most Holy.. Holy of holies.. The question to ask is, does all kind of sin incur the same level of wrath from God? Let me quote a couple of verses from Bible.. When the Lord promises to Abraham about Canaan, He says this..

"In the fourth generation your descendants will come back here, for the sin of the Amorites has not yet reached its full measure."

God did not destroy the earth (at the time of Noah) until it went to the peak.. When every thought of man was evil.. So there is accumulation of wrath and based on the severity of the sin, more wrath is incurred.. Our Lord is just! That is the bottomline

10. If every bible has mistranslated Mark 10:11, can you reveal the proper translation?

11. Don't lump me in with MichaelH's comments, I only said you posted the wrong reference, which you corrected WHILE I was typing my comments. :)

I've looked at versions from Coverdale 1535 to today and they ALL say what the KJV says either "put away" or "divorce" :

Mark 10:11 (KJV) And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her.

The word is:

ἀπολύω apoluo (ap-ol-oo'-o) v.
    1. to release fully
    2. (literally) to release, dismiss
    3. (reflexively) to depart
    4. (figuratively) to let die, to pardon
    5. (maritally) to divorce

12. KJV:
    And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away (apoluō )his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her.
    (Mar 10:11)

That is the correct translation and in line with the OT.

They were trying to tempt Jesus with this question.

And the Pharisees came to him, and asked him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife? tempting him.
    (Mar 10:2)

They were asking him if they could just put away the wife without a bill of divorcement. Documents stating she no longer belongs to the man.

Jesus said......

And he answered and said unto them, What did Moses command you? And they said, Moses suffered to write a bill of divorcement, and to put her away.
    (Mar 10:3-4)

Jesus jogs their Memory that Moses also said the wife needs a Bill of divorcement which was legal divorce. Not to just keep her tied by marriage. This way she could leave to be free.

Jesus was not disagreeing with Moses, nor changing the Word of God.

When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house. And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife.
    (Deu 24:1-2)

The man was to give her proof of her release, not just put her away and take another. To do so would be adultery.

13. Sorry. Okay, but He did say, "I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery "

So does this mean every person in the church that divorces, except for sexual immorality and has remarried is committing adultery?

14. I thought I already explained this one................

First to commit adultery, you have to be married to someone, then go get the Jolly Ranchers on with someone else your not married to. You then commit adultery..............

Also add to that list Fornication............. and possible disease.

The Question the Pharisees asked Jesus......... (Read up a bit more) Was is it lawful to put away your wife.
    They were tempting Jesus to trip him up.

Jesus said ........... What did Moses say?

He corrects them. Moses said, right them a bill of Divorce and Put them away.

Put away, does not Mean divorce them. If it did then Yes, everyone that remarried would be committing adultery.

What they wanted was to put away............. (Keep the girl, get another) Polygamy. That was also practiced in the OT, but God never cared for it much, but allowed it.

Jesus said, if you do that and Marry another you commit adultery.

Because of the Hardness of your heart, You must free the girl...... (Document of divorce) and let her Go. This way she has proof she is not someone else. Moses said they can remarry. Jesus was not changing the Law.

I hope this is more clear.

15. Yeah, I heard men used to put their wives out of their homes without divorcing them. Women couldn't survive on their own back then (financially) so they had to marry another to make it. Of course she was still married to the first husband because he did not divorce her... just put her away, so it was adultery, but the first husband caused it, which is why it says "causes her to commit adultery".

I wish I could figure out how accurate that POV is.