1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Adam, And Eve In The Garden

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by CCW95A, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Question:
    If Adam and Eve did not eat from the "tree of the knowledge of good and evil", or from the "tree of life", how long would they have lived?

Ghid likes this.
  2. They would not have died, had they not eaten from the tree of knowledge.

However, to be sure, I think one can also look at this story from a metaphorical standpoint. Basically there were two trees, the tree of life and the tree of knowledge. Specifically the tree of knowledge would make them "like God". They choose to be like God instead of have everlasting life. We inherited that choice.

Whether it was a "literal" tree, I don't know, so its rather theoretical to speak about whether they would have died if they refused to eat from the tree of life. Like I said, I think they are probably metaphors for something else.

3. If you are right in that, if Adam and Eve did not eat from the tree God commanded them not to, yet they stilled lived forever, then what purpose would the "tree of life" be for? Why need the tree of life, if all they had to do is not eat from the forbidden tree to live forever?

4. Well, that's a good question. That's one reason it leads me to believe the tree was a metaphor for something else. The tree of life would probably have been fidelity to God, while the tree of knowledge was to serve one's self.

Though, even without the tree of life, Adam lived a very long time.

5. They were going to eat from one of them eventually. Whether they chose Life or the knowledge of Good and Evil was up to them.

6. I think it's dangerous to say it was all metaphorical, because then God's word wouldn't be true. The way he talks about them is that they are like every other tree in the garden, they have fruit that you can eat of, and by Eve's POV, the bad one was "Pleasing to the eye". They were physical trees, no doubt about it.

7. But it requires faith to believe that. ;)

8. There are plenty of verses in the Bible that are metaphorical. But think, what is the lesson being taught. Why is THIS story in the Bible and others are not. It doesn't have to be literal in order to get the same message.

It's also unwise to say "no doubt about it" because being as you were not there, you don't know, and to have faith means you don't have certainty.

9. I am simply saying if you believe the Genesis account, there is no doubt that God's word describes them as literal trees. :)

10. Also, the fall is a very important story to include, don't you think?

11. Was Adam and Eve sinless in the Garden? Was Jesus sinless on earth? What would have happened to Jesus if he never went to the cross and he lived his entire life on earth? Would his physical body live forever? We know he grew from a baby to a full grown man, so he was aging physically even though he was sinless.

12. Were Adam and Eve sinless in the Garden? Yes. The first sin was eating of the forbidden fruit.

Was Jesus sinless on Earth? Absolutely, he was the spotless Lamb of God. He who knew no sin became sin for us ( 2 Corinthians 5:21 )

Jesus only died because he gave up his spirit, so technically he would have lived forever. But his plan was to give his life for us, halleluyah!

I think after a person reaches their prime is when they start to decay. Jesus was at his prime when he died. Better put, do I think there are old wrinkly people in heaven? No. That is a result of the fall.

13. So, you think Jesus's physical body, even though it was getting older with time, his body would live forever? What do you think he would have looked like being 10,000 years old?

14. The same it did when he was crucified. I already explained, decay of the body ( Aka wrinkly old man syndrome ) was a result of the fall. Since Jesus had no sin in him, he would have looked the same he did as an adult.

15. How about this scripture that says, "flesh and blood cannot inherit the Kingdom of God" Jesus had flesh and blood. So something has to give. We have to lose this physical body to gain a spiritual body.

16. Then the angel showed me a river with the water of life, clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb. It flowed down the center of the main street. On each side of the river grew a tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, with a fresh crop each month. The leaves were used for medicine to heal the nations. (‭Revelation‬ ‭22‬:‭1-2‬ NLT)

Uh oh, more trees. Are they literal or metaphorical? Is this to be taken as an eye witness account or a dream for us to interpret? I have no answers only more questions.

17. What are you getting at?

18. Lol. What does the spirit tell you?

All throughout Revelation John says "I saw" meaning these are physical things he saw with his eyes. He described in detail the measurements of New Jerusalem, so when he uses the word tree I think he knows what he is talking about.

19. We know we will have supernatural bodies in the Kingdom of God, So it can not be talking about "healing" our physical bodies.

Rev 21:4 'He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death' or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

Major likes this.
  20. Whoa whoa whoa... Why should this even concern us anyways? The word says what it says and whether it's real or not we will find out when we make it there.

And we are way off topic from your original question. You asked If Adam and Eve never ate from either tree, who long would they live?

My answer was they would choose one eventually.