1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Acts 10:30

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by rstrats, May 9, 2015.

1. Acts 10:30 has Cornelius saying "Four days ago I was fasting until this hour;..." We don't know what day it was, but let's say for the purpose of this question that it was a Thursday when he made the statement. To what day of the week would you think he was referring?

2. What's your point? :confused:

3. I'm curious too.

It seems he is trying to say that it would be on a Sunday. Other than that I don't know what point is being made.

4. According to biblehub, the 9th hour is 3 in the afternoon. There is no reference to which day it was (that I have found).
    As Euphemia said "what's yer point?"

5. Here is Acts 10:30 & 31 in King James:

And Cornelius said, Four days ago I was fasting until this hour; and at the ninth hour I prayed in my house, and, behold, a man stood before me in bright clothing, And said, Cornelius, thy prayer is heard, and thine alms are had in remembrance in the sight of God

Here is from NASB:

Cornelius said, "Four days ago to this hour, I was praying in my house during the ninth hour; and behold, a man stood before me in shining garments, and he said, 'Cornelius, your prayer has been heard and your alms have been remembered before God.

I would like to start by addressing the ninth hour... I believe (and I am not an authority) that the ninth hour would be 9 hours from dawn, or about 3 PM.

That particular 3 PM was 4 days before Cornelius was speaking to Peter. So, if the conversation was on Thursday (by our naming convention) then Cornelius was praying in his house, and about three PM a man in shining clothes instructed him to send word to Joppa asking Simon/Peter to come to Cornelius.

My numbering would be:
    Thursday (day used as reference)
    Wednesday (1 day prior)
    Tuesday (2 days prior)
    Monday (3 days prior)
    Sunday (4 days prior)

Of course this is assuming, as you set it Thursday being the day of the discussion. The actual days of the are unknown (at least to me).

Peter did come and Cornelius was explaining why he sent for Peter. Peter then recounts how God accepts people from all nations.

Is this what you are asking?

I did notice a difference between KJV and NASB regarding whether fasting was part of Cornelius's prayer. Again, I am not a scholar, but Young's Literal seems to support the fasting reference, but several other versions (ex AMP, New Living, etc) omit the detail.

Euphemia likes this.
  6. #7 rstrats, May 10, 2015
    Last edited: May 10, 2015
    Siloam,
    re: "Sunday (4 days prior)"

Mykuhl,

re: "...it would be on a Sunday."

OK, thanks. I shall add your answers to the Sunday side of the survey.

7. Euphemia,

re: "What's your point?"

Why do you need that information in order to answer the OP question?

8. Was he talking about the Sabbath? In the context it was about Peter, who is jewish, eating with the gentiles?

Sabbath according to Jewish tradition begins on Friday sundown.

9. Most likely a point would be important as all can count backward from Thursday.

10. Most jewish ppl who still adhere to the covenant and tradtions keep the Sabbath religiously, and they all have a special meal that evening, all prepared the day before. So they dont need to lift a finger on the Sabbath and enjoy Gods rest.

But they dont really invite gentiles or eat with them at their houses. Whole issue of keeping kosher.

11. If it was four days ago from thursday it would have been since sunday he was fasting. Thats quite a long fast!

12. Anyway I guess he would have been hungry!!!

13. Yea just reading the story the others got quite mad at Peter for eating with the gentiles. But God showed him it was ok. He has made us (and the animals) clean.

Juk likes this.
  14. There are other ways of counting...

If I started a job on Monday morning and was asked on Friday at close of business 'how long have you worked here?', I might reply '5 days'. If one then counted back using the counting method I went through in detail before, one might assume that I started on Sunday, because that was 5 days ago using that counting method.

This is one reason why I put so much extra detail in my answer.

Sometimes you need context and common usage to determine correct ways of counting.

15. Yes, well some count busniess days from midnight to midnight but God counts the days from sunrise to sunset, and the nights from sundown to sunrise.

Its not so much the hours but the sun I suppose.
    I dont know what people do when its cloudy! Lol.

16. If its really cloudy and oppressive I tend to fall asleep. A day without sun is not a day IMHO.
    But then I suppose you can count in hours, if you keeping time that way.

17. Euphemia,

re: "...all can count backward from Thursday."

So what day do you land on when you count backward from Thursday? So far the survey has 5 Sunday votes and 8 Monday votes.

18. I don't see anyone voting Monday- unless you are asking elsewhere.

anyway..your point? Some people can't count?
    In chinese culture you are 1 years old from your birthday.
    Yea its confusing. It's like people who said the second millennium (the 21st century) started on 2001 not 2000.

19. so when people all started celebrating the year 2000 people were going hold on it's not the new millennium yet! well no matter. We can still celebrate the end of 2000 years since the birth of Jesus, even though I heard it said there was obviously no year zero.

Its confusing. Also, days and months are named differently by Jewish calendar. But we still go by a seven day rotation.