Abraham- Part 1 (outline form)

I. The call of Abram.
a. Separated and set apart. ( verse 1)
b. Called to faithful obedience. ( verse 1b)
c. Called to be a blessing. ( verse 2-3)
d. Promise of greatness. ( verse 2)
Stark contrast between what God considers great and what the world considers great.

1. What the world considers great seen in Genesis 11- (" let us make a name for ourselves.)

2. What God considers great- 1. I will make your name great. ( True greatness not siezed or achieved, but granted by God.) 2. "you will be a blessing"- True greatness is when one becomes a blessing, and as a result, others are blessed by God through that person.

II. Abraham's three fold response to God. ( verses 4-9)
a. He went. (obedience)
b. He believed the promise. (faith)
c. He worshipped. (Love)

III. Abram's lapse.
a. Famine- We will all go through trials
b. Abram's weak faith and compromise. ( He failed to trust God and depended on His own schemes)
c. God protected and blessed him in spite of His lapse.
d. Rebuked by Pharoah. ( God uses a pagan to rebuke Abram.)
e. Abram gets back on the right track again. (See Genesis 13:1-4)

Application- For those who may have lapsed, this serves as an encouragement. Even though you experienced a failure, God is not done with you yet. He who called you is still calling you. Confess (1 John 1:9), repent, and go back to doing the first works, just as Abram did, and God will bring you back to where you need to be.

1 John 2:1- My little children, these things I write to you that you sin not. If any man sins, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the Righteous.

Back