A Quart of Wheat for a Denarius

A Quart of Wheat for a Denarius

With the price of wheat (bread) going so high I'm reminded of this verse in the Bible:

"When He opened the third seal, I heard the third living creature say, 'Come and see.' So I looked, and behold, a black horse, and he who sat on it had a pair of scales in his hand."

"And I heard a voice in the midst of the four living creatures saying, 'A quart of wheat for a denarius, and three quarts of barley for a denarius; and do not harm the oil and the wine.” Revelation 6:5-6

A denarius was worth a days wages in Bible times. This is probably why there are so many riots in some areas of the world re the price of wheat/bread.

I've seen endtime prophecies come and go but there sure seem to be a lot of them lately.

World magazine has an excellent article on how the price of wheat and rice is making these basic staples out of reach for millions of people worldwide. Governments are having to step in to feed millions. People have resorted to eating "mud cookies" made from mud and oil to fend off starvation.

The price of oil drives up every aspect of agriculture and delivery. The US is the world's leading producer of food and if things get tight over here many will suffer. That goes doubly for the poor and needy as the US is the world leader in supplying food to poor and impoverished people. God has given this nation many blessings and it is her nature to share them.

Back