1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

A New Christian - will this matter?

Discussion in 'Marriage and Relationships' started by kitkat, Jan 7, 2009.

1. A New Christian - will this matter?

Hi again everyone! Hope you all had a lovely Christmas and a belated happy new year to you!

I've only been a Christian now for three months (almost) and am focussing solely at the moment in growing in God's love to... and not really thinking about relationships etc.

but I have one question - wouldn't a guy who's been a Christian for years/all their life be more interested in a Christian girl who's had the same sort of background? surely they wouldn't be more interested in a newbie who knows little and who's family is non-Christian etc?

I'm only asking because I've been struggling with the fact that I should only really date Christian guys and only do that when I think it's serious.... I've now accepted it because my heart keeps telling me that that is the only way a relationship is really going to work even though my 'old self' is still a bit hesitant. Anyway, I'm praying on it but what I'm really worried about is this more restricted amount of people that I can date won't be interested in pursuing a serious relationship with me because I'm new Christian.... coz maybe they'd think I'm more likely to fall away or something....

anyway, ramble over - it's just something i've been worrying about for quite a bit. thanks for all your help in advance, everyone.!

2. Hi KitKat;

I had a great Christmas, Hanukkah and New Years; Happy New Year to you too!

I think it makes a big difference in all of your relationships whether you date a christian or not. If you date a non-christian; you will be much more likely to marry a non-christian. Marriage is hard enough when we both "walk together" in Christ...I would NOT suggest marriage to someone outside the faith.

It may be hard to understand right now; but establishing christian friends will help you later. God does not want you to be struggling or lonely; just "choosy". :D

I have "limited" friends but MOST are christians; but a few who don't express their faith in Christ as I do and may not even be christians even though they say so but they know that I am and I love them but just don't trust them with with spiritual matter as I can trust my christian sisters. They are "ministry friends"; ones whom the Lord has in my life (or me in their lives) so I can minister to them.;)

I just don't let them influence me by their spirit as much as I can influence them by my walk with Jesus and the Holy Spirit. :shepherd:

:pray: for you regarding this.
  3. Hi KitKat, I don't think you need to be concerned about that, the only thing that may make a long-time christian hesitant is that they may wonder if the new christian is actually genuine or not. Some people do a quick "conversion" in order to be acceptable to a christian friend but as you are already a believer that is obviously not going to be a concern. In actual fact older type christians tend to find new believers more attractive as their love for Christ is more fresh and real, and they are less likely to have been side-tracked in their faith by setting their heart on doctrines and creeds, prophecies and personalities or any of the other things that distract us from Christ.:)
  4. Thank you to everyone for your help - it's something that's been worrying me for a bit and it's nice to know that I don't need to. I just feel a bit sorry for who-ever my other half ends up being because there's a lot of work to be done on me yet - even though I try and try again, I still do things that I regret seconds after. However, I'll keep praying for patience and it's true that it gets easier each day to be more Christ-like.

Thank you! :D