A Christian Is A True Disciple By Another Name

Christian comes from the Greek word Christianos (GSN5546) which means afollower of Christ.

Disciple come from the Greek word mathetes (GSN3101) which means a learner or pupil.

John 8:31. Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

All who are God’s Elect, those who are found in and saved through Christ, are Christ Disciples. There is no exception or distinction of one being saved by Christ to one being a Disciple of Christ. Thus, one cannot claim to be a Christian and not a Disciple of Christ. The Bible clearly states that the Disciples were called Christian and never implies that Christians have the option of being a disciple.

Acts 11:26. And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

The term disciple or disciples were much used during the life of Christ and the start of the New Testament Church and scripture teaches that being a disciple was an essential characteristic of a person saved by the grace of God. This is reflected in the fact that the word disciple and or disciples is listed 273 times in the New Testament compared to only 3 listing of the word Christian and or Christians.

If by common understanding we all agree that a Disciple of Christ is a learner and follower of Christ, we must conclude that even the thief on the cross was a learner/follower/Disciple for he not only came to the knowledge of his own sin but to the knowledge of the Truth. What greater knowledge can a man learn under the sun?

Luke 23:41-43. And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss. And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom. And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

This is a theif worthy of envy. Christ is the Truth and if any man comes to this knowledge (i.e. learns this truth) and follows Christ, he is a Disciple Indeed.

John 14:6. Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Good Day and God Bless

Back