A Biblical rebuke to the prosperity gospel movement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love you my brother but I have to disagree. IMO the prosperity teaching coming out of the Word of Faith element is not Biblical in any way. It is what Paul called "another" gospel.
Okay.
Then I'll say, there is prosperity teaching and then there is prosperity teaching.
There is the non-biblical prosperity teaching, but then there is biblical prosperity teaching.
I mean, after all, how many times does the word prosper or prosperity occur in the bible, and not in a negative sense?

Juk this is what I have been trying to show you - sounded like it to me and it seems so or every one says this. You CAN NOT make judgment calls and speak words against others with out Gods say so. Another words if God says Juk go and say this then do so. To condemn others by sounded like or looked like is not going to help you grow or learn how to hear God.

Just trying to show you some things bro -
God Bless
Well, that is a judgment based on not even appearance, isn't it?
Well, it was based on what was said about him.

Okay.
Then I'll say, there is prosperity teaching and then there is prosperity teaching.
There is the non-biblical prosperity teaching, but then there is biblical prosperity teaching.
I mean, after all, how many times does the word prosper or prosperity occur in the bible, and not in a negative sense?

I hear you and even agree with you. The words you asked about appear 47 times total accumulated from Gen. to the Rev.
Each instance would have to be looked to determine what was meant in the way the word id used.

Proper in most cases means to ......."be successful, happy and do well".

So while the Scripture doesn’t condemn a large income in itself, it does emphatically condemn selfish spending, selfish accumulation, and hoarding up earthly luxuries and treasures for ourselves.

Matt. 6:19-21..........
“Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also".

That is where the rub seems to be IMO. When we see people living in 5 million dollar homes, going to city after city asking for more and more money, a whole lot of people see that and say............"That is where the heart is for that person".

I hear you and even agree with you. The words you asked about appear 47 times total accumulated from Gen. to the Rev.
Each instance would have to be looked to determine what was meant in the way the word id used.

Proper in most cases means to ......."be successful, happy and do well".

So while the Scripture doesn’t condemn a large income in itself, it does emphatically condemn selfish spending, selfish accumulation, and hoarding up earthly luxuries and treasures for ourselves.

Matt. 6:19-21..........
“Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also".

That is where the rub seems to be IMO. When we see people living in 5 million dollar homes, going to city after city asking for more and more money, a whole lot of people see that and say............"That is where the heart is for that person".

Now you get me.
And there is a fine line when it comes to prosperity. One can see it from the blooming arguments. And sad to say, different views and interpretations just cause strife.
But we have to concede, we have to make ourselves aware.
Prosper:
To rush, to push forward, to break out, to advance, make progress, be profitable, to prosper, to make prosperous, bring to successful issue, cause to prosper, to show or experience prosperity.
We all should be able to measure this in our lives in some way, most of which, the way the live, the way we walk with God, our way vs. His way.
But, we must be aware of the other side of the coin, a teaching, that latches on the basic principle, but then just disfigures it in a way that only means "self".
That side of the coin is a bad one, one leading to destruction, and has many hooked.

Maybe we should start that study as you mentioned, from Genesis, right through to Revelations.

Now you get me.
And there is a fine line when it comes to prosperity. One can see it from the blooming arguments. And sad to say, different views and interpretations just cause strife.
Prosper:
To rush, to push forward, to break out, to advance, make progress, be profitable, to prosper, to make prosperous, bring to successful issue, cause to prosper, to show or experience prosperity.
We all should be able to measure this in our lives in some way, most of which, the way the live, the way we walk with God, our way vs. His way.
But, we must be aware of the other side of the coin, a teaching, that latches on the basic principle, but then just disfigures it in a way that only means "self".
That side of the coin is a bad one, one leading to destruction, and has many hooked.

Maybe we should start that study as you mentioned, from Genesis, right through to Revelations.
LOL We can't get past this verse below... how ever will we get through them all? :)

Luke 12:31 (KJV)
But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Jesus travelled in a large group - He lived with a large group...They needed to pool their resources - that's why churches have people do their accounting. It has nothing to do with how wealthy they are/were. Some churches are poor. And still need someone to act as an accountant.

There has been much made of defining "prosperity" as including more than money. The thread title has to do with rebuking the Prosperity movement for wrong teaching. There is a reason that throughout the bible, we are told that wordly goods will not get us either happy, saved or that doing well is a sign of God's favor. There is a reason that it says Luk_18:25
For it is easier for a camel to go through a needle's eye, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. Here's a link about prosperity preasching: http://www.cedricstudio.com/personal/copeland.html

Now you get me.
Prosper:

My dear friend, you are absolutely correct!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back