A Biblical rebuke to the prosperity gospel movement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any prospering of the flesh / need being met is a given when we grasp God just gave His life for us. Please meditate on that. We are not to teach wealth as prosperity at all as Christians. We '''know'''' that God wants to give us the universe. He has told us that He has things we cannot even imagine waiting for us.

It is God's will to give each of us more gold then we can imagine....BUT not right now....He needs us to do .....''''His'''' will down here....and that may or may not be something comfortable and pleasing for the flesh.

Agreed. We are called to spread the gospel of salvation in the Lord Jesus Christ.......NOT to tell others how much money we have or how big our home is.

How in the name of heaven can we preach "prosperity and money and things" to people who live in a shack made with 10 or 12 pieces of lumber and a tin roof.

When I see the money gospel and how Christians are to live in luxury I am pretty sure that those people have never been to the places I have been to share the gospel to the lost.

It is easy to preach prosperity to a group od 1000 people who all drove to the event in new cars and sit in a/c cathedrals.
NOW try doing that to a group of 1000 who had to walk barefooted, hungry and sit on the ground.

The bible tells us that Judas was the treasurer of the "band". The group would give money to the poor from their treasury. Not only that, but the upper room where they would meet was a room that was well-appointed for a larger gathering and cost money to procure...like our hotel banquet rooms of today.

John 13:29
Since Judas was their treasurer, some thought Jesus was telling him to go and pay for the food or to give some money to the poor.

Jesus was well acquainted with immense wealth, coming from heaven, but he also had all His needs met and more while in ministry, but it was on the cross that He literally divested all He had for our sake.

2 Corinthians 8:9
You know about the kindness of our Lord Jesus Christ. He was rich, yet for your sake he became poor in order to make you rich through his poverty.
2 Corinthians 8:9 clearly says that Jesus became poor.

Yeah, that's something that I need to work on. I get angry easily and sometimes I disobey my parents. Thank you for the compliments.

You are well deserving and my God bless you. Just remember that you are still a very young man. Give life some time and while doing so, listen, grow and love!!!

Reactions: Juk
2 Corinthians 8:9 clearly says that Jesus became poor.
Again Juk what does this poor mean ?
Another thing if Jesus was poor as in finances - why in the name of God did He need a treasurer ? To keep track of the bills ? Come on - Poor in spirit - does this mean He lacked ? Learn the meanings of words before you make assuptions please.

You are well deserving and my God bless you. Just remember that you are still a very young man. Give life some time and while doing so, listen, grow and love!!!
As an introvert, growing in knowledge is one of my favorite things to do.

Not at all. :) But because so many make it to be their sole goal in life, then it's a sin. That's why Jesus meant about the eye of a needle. Wealth and blessings are a result of obedience, faith and freedom from society/government. Three identical Christians in God's eye for example will have different levels of blessings in China, Africa or the West. Why? The governments. China cracks down on religious believers, Africa's leaders rob society and the West have prospered because of their focus on God. The UK, to America to Australia. Today, each are in various levels of decay and like in America will soon suffer persecution for their beliefs and that prosperity will diminish - not because of their lack of belief or faithfulness, but the conditions of the society in which they live. God will STILL bless and prosper in different ways within the conditions they find themselves. Would an ambassador lack anything of the country they're obedient to? Would a child of a King? Why would it be any different in the spiritual? We ALL suffer for sin... our own or those in authority over us. Freedom brings great physical wealth to those that are obedient to God. It's not a right, but a blessing. When freedom is removed, God's hands are tied because the devil has initiated persecution - just like what's happening in the UK and the USA. In those cases, the wealth is transferred to the untouchable bank of heaven. Don't focus on wealth, focus on Jesus. David said he never saw God's people beg for food. When society won't allow for food, He gives of His angels. Many Orthodox Jews (normally don't work jobs but study day and night) have found Jesus and are having money appear in their bibles and meager food portions never end until all are fed! That's wealth!

Thanks Abdicate.

Nothing is wrong about teaching Biblical Prosperity for it is NOT all about wealth. Cut a pie into slices and each slice is a piece of biblical prosperity and wealth is only but one little slice.
Now those who have no understanding in biblical properity MAKE IT ALL ABOUT MONEY. There hearts and minds are waxed closed and become way side to Gods word in this.

Now about Money or wealth - it in it's self is not a bad thing or against any scripture or ways of God HOWEVER what is against is THE LOVE OF or another words it is your main goal or all you care about and nothing including Gods ways will come between you and money. That is the sin.

However people just enjoy speaking out about what they donot know about or yet understand.
God Bless
Jim

Thanks FCJ (I hope you don't mind me addressing you by your initials.)

I never thought it was wrong to preach about or enjoy prosperity as long as God remained first in our lives. I also believe that prosperity isn't just about wealth.

Sounded like it to me.
Juk this is what I have been trying to show you - sounded like it to me and it seems so or every one says this. You CAN NOT make judgment calls and speak words against others with out Gods say so. Another words if God says Juk go and say this then do so. To condemn others by sounded like or looked like is not going to help you grow or learn how to hear God.

Just trying to show you some things bro -
God Bless

Another thing if Jesus was poor as in finances - why in the name of God did He need a treasurer ? To keep track of the bills ? Come on - Poor in spirit - does this mean He lacked ? Learn the meanings of words before you make assuptions please.
What else does poor mean besides lacking??? Does poor mean that Jesus was rich? Notice that the last word in that verse is poverty. I'm not making assumptions, I know what poor means.

Also, I just checked John 13:29 in my King James, and it does not say that Judas was the treasurer, it says that he just held the bag.

Also, I just checked John 13:29 in my King James, and it does not say that Judas was the treasurer, it says that he just held the bag.

It's the SAME THING. Judas would make the purchases out of the funds the group had. These purchases that he would have had to make were not cheap, either.

The central passage on giving in the New Testament is the eighth and ninth chapters of Second Corinthians. The subject is dealt with in a wealth of practical detail by Paul. And in the midst of the eighth chapter in the very heart of this treatment of giving and as the chief example of what Paul is talking about, he sets before us the pattern of giving.

In the 9th verse he says.......
"For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though be was rich, yet for your sake he became poor, so that by his poverty you might become rich."

Yes Jesus was rich because He is the creator and owner of ALL things. But came to this earth assuming a position of poverty. He owned no property, no cars, no TV's, not even a pillow did He have and was buried in a borrowed tomb. Sometimes the word means exactly what it says. POOR!

What's the lesson. WE need to give ourselves to Him as He gave Himself for us.

See there you go - assuming things again Juk - judas held the bag - he was in charge of this bag - he took care of this bag - he was the treasurer Juk over the ministry. Then later they replaced Judus now didnt they - do you suppoose it was to see who could carry the bag too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back