7 of the very best warnings given to the churches

All of these warnings are directed ONLY at the churches, which are ignored at their peril.
None of Jesus’ many warnings in the 4 gospels are included.
Explanations of words are from Vine’s Expository Dictionary of Biblical Words.

Romans 2:7-11 • “… eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for
glory, honor, and immortality; but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth,
but obey unrighteousness — indignation and wrath, tribulation and anguish,
on every soul of man who does evil ... For there is no partiality with God.”

Eternal life to those who patiently endure while they seek heaven and live in obedience and righteousness!

Romans 8:6-14 • “For to be carnally minded is death (#2288), but to be spiritually minded
is life (#2222) and peace … For if you live according to the flesh you will die (#599);
but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live (#2198).
For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.”
• “death”
– Strong’s #2288, “thanatos” – “the separation of man from God … Rom 5:12, John 5:24, 1 John 3:14”
• “life” – Strong’s #2222, “zoe” – “Eternal life …it has moral associations which are
inseparable from it, as of holiness and righteousness … John 5:24, 1 John 3:14”
• “die” – Strong’s #599, “apothnesko” – “eternal separation from God, John 8:24.”
• “live” – Strong’s #2198, “zao“ – “spiritual life, John 6:57, Rom 1;17, Rom 8:13b, Gal 2:19-20”
God makes His home within believers who keep Jesus’ word (John 14:23, Acts 5:32, 1 John 3:24).
Therefore, does God really remain in believers who do NOT keep His word? Just asking.
This whole entire passage warns that Christians who are carnally-minded,
and who fail to overcome their fleshly desires, are headed for eternal death!

1 Corinthians 15:1-2 • “Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the gospel … by which also
you are saved, IF you hold fast that word which I preached to you — unless you believed in vain.”

“Beware, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God … For we
have become partakers of Christ, IF we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end” (Hebrews 3:14)
Please notice the 2 “IF”s above, for they represent the many conditional “IF” verses in the NT.
“… the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes,
though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ

… receiving the end of your faith — the salvation of your souls.” (1 Peter 1:5-9)
There are 15 NT verses that warn about enduring in the faith until the end of your life to receive salvation!
And please note that in John 3:15-16 all of the “believes” are in the present (continuing) tense.
Soon, it will be critical to really endure in the faith re: Christian persecution, and not taking the mark of the beast.

Galatians 6:7-8 • “Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.
For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption (#5356), but he who sows to the Spirit
will of the Spirit reap everlasting life (#2222).
And let us not grow weary while doing good,
for in due season we shall reap (everlasting life), IF we do not lose heart.”
• “corruption”
– Strong’s #5356, “phthora” – “denotes the destruction that comes with corruption …
… In 2 Peter 2:12 it is used twice: ‘will utterly perish in their own corruption’ ”
First, notice that corruption is contrasted to everlasting life (and that enduring is mentioned again).
Believers will reap eternal death or everlasting life, depending on whether they sow to their flesh or to the Spirit.

Hebrews 12:14 • “Pursue … holiness, without which no one will see the Lord:
looking carefully lest anyone fall short of the grace of God”

Paul warned: believers need to be slaves of obedience and righteousness to attain holiness (Romans 6:16-19).
Also, from above: Is holiness necessary to keep God’s grace intact? Just asking.

Revelation 2:10-11 • “Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life (#2222).
He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.
He who overcomes shall not be hurt by the second death (#2288).”

In the 1 Corinthians 15 passage above we see how critical it is to endure in the faith until the end of your life.
Now in this verse, we see the faithful enduring believer is given the crown of (eternal) life.
Yes, it is easily proven from the NT that “the crown of life” refers to eternal life.
Jesus said we are to overcome like He overcame …

“To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne,
as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.” (Revelation 3:21)
Jesus overcame the world, sin, Satan, persecution, etc.
Writing to the 7 churches, Jesus said those who overcome will receive eternal life, blessings, and honors.

Revelation 21:7-8 • “He who overcomes shall inherit all things, and I will be his God
and he will be My son. But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers,
sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the
lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death (#2288).”

First, notice that overcomers are contrasted with sinners.
Jesus is talking about EVERYONE who is a habitual (unrepentant) sinner!
NO WAY does God condemn non-believers for their sins, and lets believers get away with the same things!

NOT included in the above …
• the strong warnings of Jesus in the 4 gospels
• the several warnings about sinning believers NOT being allowed into the kingdom of heaven
• the 3 harshest warning passages to the churches (Hebrews 6:4-8, Hebrews 10:26-31, 2 Peter 2:20-22)

Back