3d Prophecy. The Church Ages/letters.

In the book of Revelation we are introduced to the 7 churches letters.
these could be interpreted as
1. 7 actual churches ,1. Ephesus, 2. Smyrna, 3. Pergamum, 4.Thyatira, 5. Sardis, 6. Philadelphia, 7. Laodicea.
2. 7 church conditions
3. 7 church AGES. This is not a new theory but has been bounced around for a number of years.
The case for the first two dimensions are fairly obvious
but the 3rd requires there to be 7 church ages
from about 70AD [approx. when revelations was written] to 2030AD or 7 X 280 years. Each church age could be seen to have 4 terms of 70 years or alternatively 7 generations of 40 years.
Clues to this concept can be found in the wording of the letters.
Letter to Ephesus 1st church: You have forsaken the love you had at first, ie the Early church apostles. Also is mentioned the nicolaitans could be seen as specific to only the first ages of the church.
The second last Letter to Philadelphia ...Since you have kept my command to endure patiently, I will also keep you from the hour of trial that is going to come on the whole world to test the inhabitants of the earth. So the age before our age.
Letter to Laodicea, the final age Church
...I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. 17You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked...Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline.
But
weather the letters can be pinned down to representing actual periods of Church History,
well, its an interesting concept and a good WARNING to our generation, especially if the last
age/letter refers specifically to us and the Church is going to undergo severe rebuke and testing.

Back