24 elders

When I first read about the ancient Jewish wedding tradition it really helped me understand some things in the bible. Knowing ancient Jewish customs and traditions really does help get another layer of understanding in scripture.

Yes, I believe many would benefit from knowing about the ancient Jewish wedding covenant's tradition. God is most excellent at providing shadows that represent actual truth, and reality in His realm. The Jewish wedding is definitely one major shadow for us to learn by!

"And the four and twenty elders and the four beasts fell down and worshipped God that sat on the Throne, saying, Amen; Alleluia. And a voice came out of the Throne, saying, Praise our God, all ye His servants, and ye that fear Him, both small and great. And I heard as it were the voice of a great multitude, and as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of mighty thunderings, saying, Alleluia: for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth. Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to Him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and His wife hath made herself ready. And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints. And He saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And He saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God" (Revelation 19:4-9 KJV)

It seems the 24 elders are announcing the wedding supper/marriage, though they are clothed in white robes already, the rest are waiting to enter. They are the called.
Many are called, few are chosen. It seems the 24 are the chosen ones, and the rest of the saints are the called.

I no longer call you servants, but friends.
Notice, friends of the bridegroom...in the OT before Jesus it was all about serving God. After Jesus came, it was being friends with Jesus.

Although, Abraham was called a friend of God, but this seems to be a precursor to what Jesus taught.

The group of 24 elders in Revelation 4, after examining the scriptures, appears to denote the Church who is in heaven, at a council of war in preparation for the judgments of God on the world during the Tribulation period. At that time it is the Church ALONE who is the only complete redeemed people group, historically. This view completely supports the pre-tribulational Rapture, our blessed hope.

It seems the 24 elders are announcing the wedding supper/marriage, though they are clothed in white robes already, the rest are waiting to enter. They are the called.
Many are called, few are chosen. It seems the 24 are the chosen ones, and the rest of the saints are the called.

Nope. We are the chosen.

I think you are dividing chosen and called incorrectly. Just my opinion.

I thought you left me out but my nickname is in verse 18 :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Pro_31:22
She maketh herself coverings of tapestry; her clothing is silk and purple.
Eze_16:10
I clothed thee also with broidered work, and shod thee with badgers' skin, and I girded thee about with fine linen, and I covered thee with silk.
Eze_16:13
Thus wast thou decked with gold and silver; and thy raiment was of fine linen, and silk, and broidered work; thou didst eat fine flour, and honey, and oil: and thou wast exceeding beautiful, and thou didst prosper into a kingdom.
Rev_18:12
The merchandise of gold, and silver, and precious stones, and of pearls, and fine linen, and purple, and silk, and scarlet, and all thyine wood, and all manner vessels of ivory, and all manner vessels of most precious wood, and of brass, and iron, and marble,

Daniel chapter 7 seems to be the OT corresponding with this vision. He describes the four beasts and also the son of Man - Jesus, receiving his Kingdom.
But it does not mention the 24 elders.

And when he had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each holding a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.
Revelation 5:8

The elders cannot be the same as the saints as they are holding harps and incense containing saints prayers. They cannot be angels as well because later it describes angels around the throne in the same verse as the elders.

Daniel chapter 7 seems to be the OT corresponding with this vision. He describes the four beasts and also the son of Man - Jesus, receiving his Kingdom.
But it does not mention the 24 elders.

No, there is no real correlation. Daniel's vision was of earthly kingdoms or rules, culminating in the Antichrist world rule during the Tribulation. Then he sees that the people of the Anointed One---Jesus Christ---will come and destroy the Antichrist and his government, and will set up a forever Kingdom and rule with Him and serve Him forever.

Actually the KJV calls them beasts. And context always helps understanding.

Rev 5:8
And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints.
Rev 5:9
And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;
Rev 5:10
And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

And when he had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each holding a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.
Revelation 5:8

The elders cannot be the same as the saints as they are holding harps and incense containing saints prayers. They cannot be angels as well because later it describes angels around the throne in the same verse as the elders.

The elders are also saints.

Seriously, @Lanolin...now you have me wondering what/who the 4 beasts are....I have no idea and don't agree that it's Daniel's 4 beasts (they wouldn't be believers or in heaven). Anybody know?

There is mention of the four beasts in Daniel 7 and they represent four empires in human history:

1. The Babylonian Empire
2. The Persian-Mede Empire
3. The Greek Empire
4. The Roman Empire

Back