2 Timothy 2:15

Yes, so Jesus was baptized to make Him known to Israel, or the public in that area, and also so John would be a witness and testify to who Jesus is and, therefore, why He came and what His purpose was.
So by this I can conclude that water baptism for Christians can be for the same reasons. To make known to the public or church who we are, child of God, and testify to others of our joining the body, beginning our ministry and confirming God as our father.

Yes. IT was an act of obedience which we all should follow.

Then you will have to consider why Paul lists baptism in his list of the milk of the word in Hebrews.

To be complete in Christ does not mean that perfection to which Paul said he had not yet attained.
We are made perfect in Christ but it is a perfection that is in need of perfection.
That is to say a green and tender plant just come out from the soil is in itself 'perfect'
But it has still to reach that perfection for which it was created for and will be like unto the seed from which it sprang.
Thus baptism Is still required and is encumbent upon all believers.to fulfill righteousness.
Jess was baptised. Why?
If then he so then I.
For as Paul says of it in baptism we are "buried with Christ"
If then by faith you believe you are crucified with Christ " should you not also be buried with him also?
For how can you know also "raised together with him also?
Did not Paul speak of being made conformable to his death"?
and in another place "that I might know the power of his resurection"?
How can you know the power of his resurection unless you are dead?
Who can say Paul did not know either? Clearly he did.then it is also clear that while we are indeed complete in Christ,may I say there is more to Him than you do yet know and it is to your joy and his will that you work out your own salvation and come to know more of Him than you would ever have conceived yet was possible.
For clearly Paul though complete in Him saw vistas as it were and 'lands' yet to explore and know.
Both in the Lords death as also in His resurection as much as in the Person of our a lord Jess Christ.
and if this is still doubted.
then look at your Bible.
It is a finite book with an end and a beginning,it is complete.
men have been studying it for how many years? You have been for how many?
Be it ever so complete are you going to say that there is nothing more to know? For you or them?
and when I say 'know' I do not mean as head knowledge but rather like unto what is said of Adam and others they "knew "their wives,..

In Christ
Gerald
1st.........YOU did not post the verses in Hebrews.

2nd........How do you know that Paul wrote Hebrews?

Are you beginning to see why Euphemia encouraged you to do more STUDY????

You have simply not understood what I said.
to be made conformable to Christ you needs must be baptised even as he was.
baptism is Not needed to be .saved. or more accurately to be Born again.
But in obedience to the "law of Christ" you cannot as it were either be separated from Egypt or enter into the promised land.
Your fixation that you must be baptised to be cleansed from sin has no basis in scripture.
It is however the foundation for presenting your body as a living sacraf ice unto God.
It is a righteous work done by a person who through faith in christ has been counted righteous.
If however you seek to be counted righteous by baptism that is another matter.
Jesus was already righteous when he was baptised. He also had life.
So too do all believers who in obedience to Christ commit their bodies to Him through baptism and in likeness his death also. Fully comit ted according to the measure of faith they have. And in that confess not only are they Christ's in life and in death but also are committed to the work of God.
In Christian
gerald

Gerald, "truth"(?) did not misunderstand you at all. He simply rejects the Bible truth that we have all posted for him.

He is what paul referred to as a "Judizer", and is the reason why he wrote to the Galatians. The people who think like "truth"(?) do not accept the shed blood of the Lord Jesus as enough to save the sinner. They insist that In addition to the blood, we must incorporate the rituals of the Old Test., hence their insistence on water baptism.

I am sure he means well but somewhere along the line of life he has fallen in with those who do not study to show themselves approved, a workman who rightly divides the Word of God.

I feel a wee bit strange quoting myself from another thread, but I think this might provide an answer to our friend @Truth's difficulty:

It's important to note that in Acts 2:38 and Acts 22:16, the injunction is being addressed to Jews. I don't think we find in scripture anywhere the thought of remission connected with baptism when it's addressed to the Gentiles. I believe this thought of remission is connected with the baptism of John - godly Jews came to him to be baptised because they felt the sinful state of Israel, they wanted to be cleared from the sin of Israel and break from it. I believe this thought of being baptised from past sins connected with Israel is continued in the way the Jews were addressed. The Name of Christ is there too, there's no salvation without Him, but when addressed to the Jews, we get the thought of remission as well. So, baptism is not required for soul salvation, and Acts 2:38 and Acts 22:16 don't suggest otherwise.

I found some teaching about this truth in J.N.D.'s ministry, volume 36, page 151. I'm sure it's available online, and if anyone's interested in this or any other ministry, I'd be more than happy to send the required volume by post.

Gerald, "truth"(?) did not misunderstand you at all. He simply rejects the Bible truth that we have all posted for him.

He is what paul referred to as a "Judizer", and is the reason why he wrote to the Galatians. The people who think like "truth"(?) do not accept the shed blood of the Lord Jesus as enough to save the sinner. They insist that In addition to the blood, we must incorporate the rituals of the Old Test., hence their insistence on water baptism.

I am sure he means well but somewhere along the line of life he has fallen in with those who do not study to show themselves approved, a workman who rightly divides the Word of God.
Don't misunderstand me though. I believe by the scriptures we ARE called to be baptised. But not for the reasons given by 'truth'

In Christian Gerald

1st.........YOU did not post the verses in Hebrews.

2nd........How do you know that Paul wrote Hebrews?

Are you beginning to see why Euphemia encouraged you to do more STUDY????
The list is easyly found and should be already known by any student of the bible.
My not giving the chapter and verse is no reason to reject what is said there.
You may debate who wrote it.I will not. The simple matter is that it is so written.
Unless of course you wish to deny what is written in Hebrews simply over some contention by some as to who actually wrote it,
In christ
Gerald

Don't misunderstand me though. I believe by the scriptures we ARE called to be baptised. But not for the reasons given by 'truth'

In Christian Gerald

I agree my brother. We are and we should be however that act does not overshadow or replace the shed blood of the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation.

The list is easyly found and should be already known by any student of the bible.
My not giving the chapter and verse is no reason to reject what is said there.
You may debate who wrote it.I will not. The simple matter is that it is so written.
Unless of course you wish to deny what is written in Hebrews simply over some contention by some as to who actually wrote it,
In christ
Gerald

Gerald. I apologize to you for the "more study needed" said to you. I honestly thought I was responding to Mr. "truth" (?) as many have encouraged him to do just that. Please forgive me.

However, it is customary and considerate to post the exact Scripture when conversing so that all of us are on the same page. Whether or not it is easily found or whether or not a we are a student or a professor is not the question.

Then for the book of Hebrews. I did not reject anything at all, only questioned your claim that it was Paul WHO wrote Hebrews, I do not know of anyone who can or has said definitely who is the author. The fact is that NO ONE KNOWS and if we were meant to know then God would have made it clear.

Over the years I have heard and read many wonderful scholars and some have said Paul, others Dr. Luke, some say Barnabas is another likely prospect. Martin Luther suggested Apollos, since he would have had the education the writer of this letter must have had. Priscilla and Clemet of Rome have been suggested by other scholars. The bottom line.......No one knows for sure.
That was all I was intending.

Why does it take so many words to say nothing .
The scriptures are very clear .
Acts 2:38 baptism for the remission of sins .Acts 22:16 baptism to wash away sins .
When any scriptures are denied, all scriptures are denied.
It is very evident to me that only the milk of the Word can be consumed at this time .

Verses which have remission in the KJV, all having to do with remission of sin.
Mat 26:28

copyChkboxOff.gif
Mark 1:4

copyChkboxOff.gif
Luke 1:77

copyChkboxOff.gif
Luke 3:3

copyChkboxOff.gif
Luke 24:47

copyChkboxOff.gif
Act 2:38

copyChkboxOff.gif
Act 10:43

copyChkboxOff.gif
Rom 3:25

copyChkboxOff.gif
Heb 9:22

copyChkboxOff.gif
Heb 10:18
Yes ,when you are baptized you call on the name of the Lord ,the same as saying that you believe in Jesus Christ .
Romans 6 is a good read, for understanding how we enter in to Jesus Christ and become a new creature / born again ,in newness of life .

Yes, so Jesus was baptized to make Him known to Israel, or the public in that area, and also so John would be a witness and testify to who Jesus is and, therefore, why He came and what His purpose was.
So by this I can conclude that water baptism for Christians can be for the same reasons. To make known to the public or church who we are, child of God, and testify to others of our joining the body, beginning our ministry and confirming God as our father.

Hello Big Moose,

I am thankful that you have been given grace to respond with love: but with the greatest respect, your conclusion, that water baptism for Christians can be for the same reason, 'To make Christ known', though it sounds great, does not have Spiritual backing. It is a conclusion based on an assumption, and that is not sound, is it?

These symbolic acts had purpose and meaning, which were Divine in origin, to use them for a purpose, no matter how well meaning, for which they were not intended is wrong, I believe. It simply muddies the waters and takes away the clearness of purpose for which they were designed.

With love in Christ Jesus
Chris

Jesus' baptism brought on His anointing and launch into ministry. I believe that this kind of anointing takes place when a Christian submits to water baptism as well.

Hello @Euphemia,

Yes, this was the anointing of Messiah, as you say, and anointing was accompanied by washing or immersion (Ex. 29:4-7; 40:12; Lev. 8:6), 'And Moses brought Aaron and his sons, and washed them with water.' This was, fulfilling all righteousness, as our Lord said, in Matthew 3:15, was incumbent upon both John the Baptist, as the prophet, and Himself as the Messiah, to fulfill.

Yet, I do not believe that your thinking, that every Christian who submits to water baptism receives an anointing at the same time. can be true: for such an important fact would have been recorded in Scripture, for our learning; and to my knowledge it does not.
Chris

Hello @Euphemia,

Yes, this was the anointing of Messiah, as you say, and anointing was accompanied by washing or immersion (Ex. 29:4-7; 40:12; Lev. 8:6), 'And Moses brought Aaron and his sons, and washed them with water.' This was, fulfilling all righteousness, as our Lord said, in Matthew 3:15, was incumbent upon both John the Baptist, as the prophet, and Himself as the Messiah, to fulfill.

Yet, I do not believe that your thinking, that every Christian who submits to water baptism receives an anointing at the same time. can be true: for such an important fact would have been recorded in Scripture, for our learning; and to my knowledge it does not.
Chris

I agree that not everyone receives the same kind of anointing at their water baptism. Some receive it at the salvation experience and others when they receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit, and yet others at any time in their walk with the Lord. It's all to do with God's timing.

Blessings!

Hello Big Moose,

I am thankful that you have been given grace to respond with love: but with the greatest respect, your conclusion, that water baptism for Christians can be for the same reason, 'To make Christ known', though it sounds great, does not have Spiritual backing. It is a conclusion based on an assumption, and that is not sound, is it?

These symbolic acts had purpose and meaning, which were Divine in origin, to use them for a purpose, no matter how well meaning, for which they were not intended is wrong, I believe. It simply muddies the waters and takes away the clearness of purpose for which they were designed.

Chris
With the amount of grace we who are born again have been given, we should always be giving it away and sharing grace. Even through the stark and easily misunderstood words on a computer screen, you (Chris) always have Christ's love shining thru.
I believe Jesus' baptism was an example for us to follow, just as He said when He washed the disciples feet, "15 For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you. "
I laid out a long post, #61 in this thread, explaining what has been shown me recently on baptism.
Scripture directing that Jesus is our example to follow is:
Romans 8:29
1 Corinthians 11:1 Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ.
1 Peter 2:21 For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us,f]'>[f] leaving usg]'>[g] an example, that you should follow His steps

I hope this makes it easier to understand where I am coming from.
Blessing

Hello @geralduk,
I hope I can address all of your points, for you took the time and made the effort to respond to me, for which I thank you.

Then you will have to consider why Paul lists baptism in his list of the milk of the word in Hebrews.
'Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ,
let us
go on unto perfection; (or maturity)
not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works,
and of faith toward God,
Of the doctrine of
baptisms,
and of laying on of hands,
and of resurrection of the dead,
and of eternal judgment.
And this will we do, if God permit.'

(Heb 6:1,2)
To be complete in Christ does not mean that perfection to which Paul said he had not yet attained.
We are made perfect in Christ but it is a perfection that is in need of perfection.
That is to say a green and tender plant just come out from the soil is in itself 'perfect'
But it has still to reach that perfection for which it was created for and will be like unto the seed from which it sprang.
* In Philippians 3: 15, Paul sought to attain unto the exanastasis ( or out-resurrection), out from among dead-ones, and was eager to go on to the end, and touch the tape - that was perfection - in regard to service, to be faithful unto the end. Which he proved to be. Praise God!
Thus baptism Is still required and is encumbent upon all believers.to fulfill righteousness.
* Christ is our righteousness, though, isn't he, Gerald?
Jesus was baptised. Why?
* That He may be manifested to Israel. (John 1:31)
* That He may fulfill all righteousness in regard to His anointing as Messiah. (Matt. 3:15; Ex. 29:4-7)
If then he so then I.
* Why?
For as Paul says of it in baptism we are "buried with Christ"
If then by faith you believe you are crucified with Christ " should you not also be buried with him also?
For how can you know also "raised together with him also?
* We are identified by God the Father, in the death, burial, quickening, resurrection, ascension and seating of Christ Jesus, our risen Lord. That is a work that required no action on our part, it was achieved as a result of the death and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ upon the cross, and is ours on believing. (Romans 5:12-8:39; Eph. 2:1-7; Col.2:12,13). Our baptism is of the Spirit.
Did not Paul speak of being made conformable to his death"?
and in another place "that I might know the power of his resurection"?
How can you know the power of his resurrection unless you are dead?
Who can say Paul did not know either? Clearly he did. then it is also clear that while we are indeed complete in Christ, may I say there is more to Him than you do yet know and it is to your joy and his will that you work out your own salvation and come to know more of Him than you would ever have conceived yet was possible.
* In Philippians 3:10.11, Paul is referring to resurrection, He desired to know the power of Christ's resurrection, He wanted to attain to the out-resurrection (exanastasis).
Yes, Gerald, we are to work out our own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God Who is working in us to do of His good pleasure. (Phil 2:12), they were to hold forth the word of truth, as lights shining in a dark place, to the glory of God. Again, it is a matter of enduring to the end, and of being faithful under trial, for their salvation and standing before God was already 'sure': it was the prize, the reward for faithful service that they sought, to the glory of God.
For clearly Paul though complete in Him saw vistas as it were and 'lands' yet to explore and know.
Both in the Lords death as also in His resurection as much as in the Person of our a lord Jess Christ.
and if this is still doubted.
then look at your Bible.
It is a finite book with an end and a beginning,it is complete.
men have been studying it for how many years? You have been for how many?
Be it ever so complete are you going to say that there is nothing more to know? For you or them?
and when I say 'know' I do not mean as head knowledge but rather like unto what is said of Adam and others they "knew "their wives,..
In Christ
Gerald
* Yes, there are indeed, vista's our eyes have yet to see, by faith, in the Spirit: and I for one have much to learn. I Praise God! That He delights to make His Truths known, and that the Holy Spirit's work is to take of the things of Christ and make them ours.

All praise to God's wondrous grace.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

With the amount of grace we who are born again have been given, we should always be giving it away and sharing grace. Even through the stark and easily misunderstood words on a computer screen, you (Chris) always have Christ's love shining thru.
I believe Jesus' baptism was an example for us to follow, just as He said when He washed the disciples feet, "15 For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you. "
I laid out a long post, #61 in this thread, explaining what has been shown me recently on baptism.
Scripture directing that Jesus is our example to follow is:
Romans 8:29
1 Corinthians 11:1 Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ.
1 Peter 2:21 For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us,f]'>[f] leaving usg]'>[g] an example, that you should follow His steps

I hope this makes it easier to understand where I am coming from.
Blessing

Hello @Big Moose,

Thank you for coming back to me on this, I will read your previous post again, (for I know the one you are referring to) along with this one, so that I will fully understand what you believe on this.

Chris

I agree that not everyone receives the same kind of anointing at their water baptism. Some receive it at the salvation experience and others when they receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit, and yet others at any time in their walk with the Lord. It's all to do with God's timing.

Blessings!

Thank you, @Euphemia,

Forgive me, but I know nothing of anointing.
The only verse I can find is in (1John 2:27)

'But the anointing which ye have received of Him abideth in you,
and ye need not that any man teach you:
but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things,
and is truth,
and is no lie,
and even as it hath taught you,
ye shall abide in Him.'

* I will need to think further about this, and hopefully come back to you. (GW)

Chris

People quote line verse and chapter but people still deny the scriptures.
Hebrews is no obscure book or chapter. Any student of the Bible knows it and any true searcher of light can find it. So are you suggesting that it is not so written? That the doctrine of Baptism is not simply part of the milk of the Word? Yet some have made it as meat and others even here neither understand the doctrine and contend against it.All knowing chapter and verse!
If you wish to contend the authorship of Hebrews. I will not.
But do you then by your contention or doubt (?) deny both the content and the authority because you do not know who wrote it?
If so what point would there be even if I gave chapter and verse? Yet if you do why raise the subject up that gives
Has nothing to do with the matter in hand?

In christ
Gerald

Hello @geralduk,
I hope I can address all of your points, for you took the time and made the effort to respond to me, for which I thank you.

'Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ,
let us
go on unto perfection; (or maturity)
not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works,
and of faith toward God,
Of the doctrine of
baptisms,
and of laying on of hands,
and of resurrection of the dead,
and of eternal judgment.
And this will we do, if God permit.'

(Heb 6:1,2)

* In Philippians 3: 15, Paul sought to attain unto the exanastasis ( or out-resurrection), out from among dead-ones, and was eager to go on to the end, and touch the tape - that was perfection - in regard to service, to be faithful unto the end. Which he proved to be. Praise God!

* Christ is our righteousness, though, isn't he, Gerald?

* That He may be manifested to Israel. (John 1:31)
* That He may fulfill all righteousness in regard to His anointing as Messiah. (Matt. 3:15; Ex. 29:4-7)

* Why?

* We are identified by God the Father, in the death, burial, quickening, resurrection, ascension and seating of Christ Jesus, our risen Lord. That is a work that required no action on our part, it was achieved as a result of the death and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ upon the cross, and is ours on believing. (Romans 5:12-8:39; Eph. 2:1-7; Col.2:12,13). Our baptism is of the Spirit.

* In Philippians 3:10.11, Paul is referring to resurrection, He desired to know the power of Christ's resurrection, He wanted to attain to the out-resurrection (exanastasis).
Yes, Gerald, we are to work out our own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God Who is working in us to do of His good pleasure. (Phil 2:12), they were to hold forth the word of truth, as lights shining in a dark place, to the glory of God. Again, it is a matter of enduring to the end, and of being faithful under trial, for their salvation and standing before God was already 'sure': it was the prize, the reward for faithful service that they sought, to the glory of God.

* Yes, there are indeed, vista's our eyes have yet to see, by faith, in the Spirit: and I for one have much to learn. I Praise God! That He delights to make His Truths known, and that the Holy Spirit's work is to take of the things of Christ and make them ours.

All praise to God's wondrous grace.
In Christ Jesus
Chris
I will reply to each with a different post both for clarity and for any body just coming into the matter.
Hebrews 6:1 says that "baptisms" are the milk of the Word. The foundational principles, if you will the side pieces and corners of a jigsaw puzzle.
That the church has not gone much further one than these and indeed from the reformation when all these things were given to the church and understood at the time.
"Baptisms" There are only two baptisms that the scriptures speak of.water baptism and the baptism of the Holy Spirit. The one deals with the old life and the life of the flesh in so much that it must now be in submission to the Spiritual life.and declaring or confessing it so.and the baptism of the Spirit wherein we are baptised into the body of Christ.
In Christ
Gerald

Hello Big Moose,

Chris
When you can answer these questions you will know the truth .
Why did Philip mention baptism to the Eunuch ?
Why did Paul mention baptism to the jailer and his household ?
Why was baptism mentioned to Paul ?
Why was baptism brought up to Cornelius and his household ?
If all were already saved , why were they being baptized ?
If you believe that baptism not required .

Answer - they were not saved until they had their sins removed.
No one will enter Heaven if their sins have not been removed .
Do not trust any doctrine that must add words to prove their beliefs !!
Those that post on this threaf ,say that baptism is a command , and then say it is not required .
Question - if something is a command ,does that also mean that it is required ?
If God required something ,will He allow us to make it optional to our salvation .

Back