2 Sam 1:1-5

2 Samuel 1:1-5 King James Version (KJV)
1 Now it came to pass after the death of Saul, when David was returned from the slaughter of the Amalekites, and David had abode two days in Ziklag;

2 It came even to pass on the third day, that, behold, a man came out of the camp from Saul with his clothes rent, and earth upon his head: and so it was, when he came to David, that he fell to the earth, and did obeisance.

3 And David said unto him, From whence comest thou? And he said unto him, Out of the camp of Israel am I escaped.

4 And David said unto him, How went the matter? I pray thee, tell me. And he answered, That the people are fled from the battle, and many of the people also are fallen and dead; and Saul and Jonathan his son are dead also.

5 And David said unto the young man that told him, How knowest thou that Saul and Jonathan his son be dead?

Easy English Bible
1David won the fight with theAmalekites and he returned to Ziklag. That was after Saul was dead. David stayed in Ziklag for two days.2 The next day, a man came from Saul’scamp to see David. He had dirt on his head and he had torn his clothes. He fell on the ground when he came to David. That was because he wanted tohonour him.

3 ‘Where have you come from?’ David asked him.

‘I have run from theIsraelite camp’, he answered.

4 ‘Tell me what happened’, David said.

The man replied, ‘The men ran away and the enemy killed many of them. And Saul and his son Jonathan are dead.’

5 Then David asked the young man who had said this, ‘How do you know that Saul and his son Jonathan are dead?’

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

1 David was not aware of the death of Saul or Jonathan as we see in this scripture. David was just doing battle, things were going well for David because of his faith in the Lord, and he was winning his battles the Lord saw to that but Saul not following the Lord lost. David was perhaps resting before going back to battle or using a strategy. David may have been even hiding from Saul because of Saul’s had attempted to kill him.

2 This man was part of the army that followed Saul, his one of his personal guard, most likely Saul armor bearer. Clothes being torn and dust on his head meant a sign for grief and distress. Torn clothes could just have meant a struggle but for dust also to be on his head shows something bad had happened. He shows David respect most likely he sees David as the king now even though he may not know that was the Lord’s plan.

3 Running from the battle showed a sign of losing, if David knew this was one Saul’s guards something was truly wrong for him not to be with Saul. To run away from the tents alone showed a sign of fear because running away was done in groups.

4 David knew it was bad but wanted to know how bad it was. The king and his heir were both dead, Jonathan was David close friend and because of this it would have hurt David but Saul being a righteous man would have felt bad because of Saul’s death as well.

5 He wanted to know how they were dead, this is an important question this was the royal family, David saw them as they were the family God had as royalty that time for them was over now though.

Back