2 Cor 5:8 study

Status
Not open for further replies.
But our spirit is given to us as a gift. Man is not a spirit, rather we have a spirit as a gift from God.

We are spiritual beings. Our true selves are found in our spirits---the part of us that has been quickened by the Holy Spirit, born again, lives forever, and is in communion with God.

We are spiritual beings. Our true selves are found in our spirits---the part of us that has been quickened by the Holy Spirit, born again, lives forever, and is in communion with God.

We are spiritual beings because our spirits are given to us as a gift. What do I mean by that when I say "gift".

We are spiritual beings because our spirits are given to us as a gift. What do I mean by that when I say "gift".

Where does God say our spirits are gifts? Our spirit is as much a gift as our eyesight is, or our hands and feet, if you want to put it that way. Nevertheless, it is part of who we are created to be.

Where does God say our spirits are gifts? Our spirit is as much a gift as our eyesight is, if you want to put it that way. Nevertheless, it is part of who we are created to be.

Gen 2:7

When God breathed the breath of life into us, that wasn't a gift from God?

Life is the gift.

Correct, and notice the word breath is connected to it. The breath of life. When the breath is withdrawn there is no life. ALL humanity would perish together...

Job 34:14-15 NIV If it were his intention and he withdrew his spirit and breath, 15all humanity would perish together and mankind would return to the dust.

I believe God takes the breath of life out of us at death and then gives us the breath of life at the first resurrection. We are rather asleep in Jesus until the first resurrection.

Just to understand your position...

Between the point of physical death and which-ever resurrection, there is no 'you' beyond or separate from dead body until the resurrection.

Is that correct understanding of your position?

Your physical remains may decompose and its molecular components recycle into the environment, and into later generations. Is there a specific physical body at that point distinct from all others?

Just to understand your position...

Between the point of physical death and which-ever resurrection, there is no 'you' beyond or separate from dead body until the resurrection.

Is that correct understanding of your position?

Your physical remains may decompose and its molecular components recycle into the environment, and into later generations. Is there a specific physical body at that point distinct from all others?

I believe that our bodies are dead in the graves and our soul and spirit sleep in Jesus.

If we are 'just' us with the breath of life removed, what is asleep? Can a dead body sleep?

Dead bodies are simply dead, and our souls and spirits sleep in Jesus. The dead know nothing, this is sleep.

Eccl 9:5 NIV For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing; they have no further reward, and even their name is forgotten.
Eccl 9:10 NIV Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom.

Correct, and notice the word breath is connected to it. The breath of life. When the breath is withdrawn there is no life. ALL humanity would perish together...

Job 34:14-15 NIV If it were his intention and he withdrew his spirit and breath, 15all humanity would perish together and mankind would return to the dust.

Yes, when we stop breathing it is obvious that our physical life will end, but we will live on with God in His Kingdom. We will never perish.

I believe Jesus!

John 8:51

I tell you the truth, anyone who obeys my teaching will never die!”

John 11:25
Jesus told her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying.

John 11:26
Everyone who lives in me and believes in me will never ever die.

I believe that our bodies are dead in the graves and our soul and spirit sleep in Jesus.

Dead bodies are simply dead, and our souls and spirits sleep in Jesus. The dead know nothing, this is sleep.

Eccl 9:5 NIV For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing; they have no further reward, and even their name is forgotten.
Eccl 9:10 NIV Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom.

This is not the truth, and nothing in scripture teaches it. You are having difficulty separating the physical life and death from the spiritual life we have that can never be taken from us.

Yes, when we stop breathing it is obvious that our physical life will end, but we will live on with God in His Kingdom. We will never perish.

I believe Jesus!

I tell you the truth, anyone who obeys my teaching will never die!”

Jesus told her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying.

Everyone who lives in me and believes in me will never ever die.

And only God is immortal. Immortality is given to us as a gift at the first resurrection. 1 Cor 15:50-54 NIV.

Immortal / adjective
1. not mortal; not liable or subject to death; undying: our immortal souls.
2. not liable to perish or decay; imperishable; everlasting.
3. perpetual; lasting; constant: an immortal enemy.

Mortal / adjective
1. subject to death; having a transitory life: all mortal creatures.
2. of or relating to human beings as subject to death; human: this mortal life.
3. belonging to this world.
4. causing or liable to cause death; fatal: a mortal wound.

The word perish, decay and death only relates to nonbelievers..

John 3:16 NIV For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Acts 2:27 NIV because you will not abandon me to the realm of the dead, you will not let your holy one see decay.
Rev 20:14 NIV Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death.

The word imperishable and everlasting only relate to believers..

Matt 25:46 NIV "Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

1 Cor 15:50-54 NIV I declare to you, brothers and sisters, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. 51Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed— 52in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. 53For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality. 54When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: “Death has been swallowed up in victory.”

Immortality is a gift, given to us by the Father..

Gen 3:21-24 NIV The Lord God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them. 22And the Lord God said, “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.” 23So the Lord God banished him from the Garden of Eden to work the ground from which he had been taken. 24After he drove the man out, he placed on the east side of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life.

1 Tim 6:16 NIV who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. To him be honor and might forever. Amen.

- ATP

OK, I think I am getting closer to understanding. There is a soul and spirit that continues on in Jesus (I assume that you do not mean within His risen body).

So the soul and spirit of Christians that have passed are asleep in Jesus.

Why would it be incorrect to call this a "spirit body" ?

Why would it be incorrect to call this a "spirit body" ?

Because spirit is translated breath and wind in Hebrew and Greek.
Breath and wind are not of physical form.
Our physical form is our fleshly bodies that are in the graves.

Ok, but I am not sure how important the distinction is, either to understanding the resurrection, or to any other aspect of these passages. Am I still missing something?

Ok, but I am not sure how important the distinction is, either to understanding the resurrection, or to any other aspect of these passages. Am I still missing something?

Well, many Christians believe we are walking, talking and praising God in the third heaven as spirit people or ghosts,
while the spirits of nonbelievers are in a temporary hell right now. It's only logical to correct them.

In a forum like this, it is more important to share views and the reasons behind them (and understand those of others) than to be too concerned with 'correction' of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back